Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought Jan was very good today along with Rose but Winks is my MOTM by a mile.

Always looking for the ball, his movement to make himself available was great as always.

In the 93rd minute he gets the ball in defence and has the desire and the stamina to get on the end of GKN's cross.

Love him.

Pochettino in Winks:

I feel so proud. That thing today, we were talking in the last few weeks that it is something he needs to improve, arrive in the opponent's box and try to score more goals. That is his second goal in the Premier League. With his quality, how he plays, in possession he needs to add and improve those two different areas in his game: without the ball, be more aggressive. He's doing that and I am so happy and of course trying to score more goals, because always a midfielder if you add goals, like Rakitic and Modric, you start to think that you are a top top player. Today was fantastic. I advise all people to watch the action and how it started. He recovered the ball in a very deep position, like a full-back and then how he ran with great determination to score. It was a fantastic example for the players.

3129.jpg

I am happy for Winks.i think he has had a lot of unfair criticism on this board lately . He doesn’t only pass the ball sideways and backwards. He doesn’t always go missing when the going gets tough. He carried on today from his second half showing against United and thoroughly deserved his goal. He has the potential to be an important player for us for many years . I would have him MOTM in both our last 2 games.

He's been getting forward a lot more over the last two weeks and it's clear he's gone up a level.

Before, his instructions by Poch were clearly to sit, take the ball from his defenders and give it to Eriksen or Sissoko to advance the ball forward but ever since the United game, it's clear he has been allowed licence to get forward. I think that'll only be good for him as a player.

He was excellent against Man Utd last week and he was brilliant again today I thought, especially on the ball. Icing on the cake was the winning goal which is reward for him coming in and doing a job this season.

Just seen a stat that in the last two games he's made 3 interceptions and won 6 of the 7 tackles he's attempted. Which is brilliant from a player who's had that side of his game criticised. If he keeps improving the weaknesses in his game, which he has done ever since he came into the team, he'll be so useful for us.

He's been asked to 'be' Dier. This spell will have done him the world of good (in terms of learning discipline and work off the ball), but with Eric returning to the team (just in time to face the Chavs!), we'll hopefully see a return to the more fwd thinking Winks that many seem to have mourned of late. This in itself is timely, as we may have to lean on him for a little creativity and link up now Dele's out too.

Makes an interception, takes out two Fulham with a FORWARD pass (lol haters), then look at him bust a fucking lung from that moment onwards to try and make sure if a chance does happen to fall in the box, he is there.

Absolutely brilliant. Monstrous stamina when you add in the fact that despite having a "chronic injury" and doubts over his fitness in the past, he has started every single game we've played in the league and league cup since the 15th December, 8 games across 30 days.

Makes an interception, takes out two Fulham with a FORWARD pass (lol haters), then look at him bust a fucking lung from that moment onwards to try and make sure if a chance does happen to fall in the box, he is there.

Absolutely brilliant.

That's a damn sweet goal on the rewind!
3Y7yKY1.png

Harry Winks vs Fulham
91 Passes completed (62 forward)
89% Pass success
11 Recoveries
9 Accurate long balls
2 Aerials won
1 Goal

Absolutely brilliant. Monstrous stamina when you add in the fact that despite having a "chronic injury" and doubts over his fitness in the past, he has started every single game we've played in the league and league cup since the 15th December, 8 games across 30 days.

Love that commentary.

The excitement in the commentary is great.
Compare that to Tylor and Smith.

No contest

Pochettino in Winks:

I feel so proud. That thing today, we were talking in the last few weeks that it is something he needs to improve, arrive in the opponent's box and try to score more goals. That is his second goal in the Premier League. With his quality, how he plays, in possession he needs to add and improve those two different areas in his game: without the ball, be more aggressive. He's doing that and I am so happy and of course trying to score more goals, because always a midfielder if you add goals, like Rakitic and Modric, you start to think that you are a top top player. Today was fantastic. I advise all people to watch the action and how it started. He recovered the ball in a very deep position, like a full-back and then how he ran with great determination to score. It was a fantastic example for the players.

That's really interesting, I have definitely noticed that as Winks has gained more experience he has become more assertive about seizing the space in front of him both with and without the ball.

With a healthy Dier will we see him in a more Dembele-like role perhaps? It may suit him.

I am happy for Winks.i think he has had a lot of unfair criticism on this board lately . He doesn’t only pass the ball sideways and backwards. He doesn’t always go missing when the going gets tough. He carried on today from his second half showing against United and thoroughly deserved his goal. He has the potential to be an important player for us for many years . I would have him MOTM in both our last 2 games.

Everyone has a player they don't like in their side, and all supporters are the same. I not only think Winks is our worst player, I think he is arguably the worst player I have seen in a Spurs shirt in recent years. I compare him with Bentaleb and Mason. Passes the ball sideways, and backwards, can't really tackle, doesn't make goals, and has only just scored his first one. Last night he was absolutely appalling. Other than holding the ball up when we are 1-0 up with ten minutes to go, I can't see why he is ever on the pitch. Yep, he runs around a lot, but when I was his age so did I. There is no other team sniffing around him, and there is a good reason for it. I honestly believe that if he didn't come through the ranks you would all agree with me. Within two years he will be playing for Watford or similar.

RANT OVER

Everyone has a player they don't like in their side, and all supporters are the same. I not only think Winks is our worst player, I think he is arguably the worst player I have seen in a Spurs shirt in recent years. I compare him with Bentaleb and Mason. Passes the ball sideways, and backwards, can't really tackle, doesn't make goals, and has only just scored his first one. Last night he was absolutely appalling. Other than holding the ball up when we are 1-0 up with ten minutes to go, I can't see why he is ever on the pitch. Yep, he runs around a lot, but when I was his age so did I. There is no other team sniffing around him, and there is a good reason for it. I honestly believe that if he didn't come through the ranks you would all agree with me. Within two years he will be playing for Watford or similar.

RANT OVER

I've always wondered, what's it like watching a game wearing 2 eye patches?

The_Dread_Pirate_Marc_by_Dave_Matos.jpg

RANT OVER

If Winks isn't playing for Watford or similar in 2 years would you chew a shot gun and pull the trigger?

Back
Top Bottom