January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dear me it becomes pointless.

Okay lets see who we pretend to bid for by January 31st.

People have got to get past this Kane obsession. Until we get a proper 2nd striker we ain't winning sh!t. Remember whilst many of you clamber for a central defender we had Dembele and Wanyama at their best for a while. We won what?

Sissoko been our best player this season. We have lost 6 games out of 22. The most in the top 6 despite being 3rd.

We need to not quake in our boots if Kane gets injured. We need another STRIKER who can step in. Who might already be playing and leave Son where he plays best, when available of course.

If we want to be the best we equip ourselves.

Pochettino need look at nearly every single successful side to see you must have more than one out and out striker on your books.

It beggars belief that so many can neither see it or accept it.

Answer two simple questions -
1) Could we buy a better striker than Harry Kane?
2) Who has bigger impact on the games - someone who starts all the important games or someone who sits on the bench most of the time?

Talking about open quesitons - you quote number of games we lost... yea, but how did you prove that it was down to the lack of strikers? You just state a fact and do not explain how it is relevant to this issue.
Kane in fact put us into the lead in 2 of those 6. In both cases we failed to keep onto this lead (if we would we'd be just 3 points off top now).

Or can you explain, how have we failed to win titles BECAUSE of the lack of 2nd "out-and-out-striker"? How exactly has this influenced?

Why Tottenham do not need to panic buy a striker to replace Harry Kane

Matt Law is saying Poch has £50M to spend and that Divock Origi might be an option who only has 18 months left on his contract. I’d take Origi tbh, very talented player who can play as a striker or winger and has scored 2 goals in 2 sub appearances for pool this season already, he needs minutes at his young age and I can see him pushing to come here.

As that article points out, with Kane Alli’s a 1 in 3 goals a game, playing without Kane Alli scores nearly a goal every other game. That’s better than Defoe.

Son’s not far off either I would imagine.

Keep Llorente around until Summer, play Alli or Lamela as false 9’s until Son gets back and buy Diawara, Allan etc instead

Sammy, it's really hard to engage with you sometimes because you bury the odd very salient point in a supercilious sardonic avalanche of straw man sarcasm.

People say simple things that are easy to understand and you obfuscate it into something you feel more comfortable ridiculing.

Or you try to oversimplify more complex issues.

You don't base a transfer strategy on a player being out or away on international duty for a month. If we were to buy Wilson it would cost us 50m plus another 25-30m in wages and would be a 4-5 year contract. Llorente has played 36 minutes of league football out of 2050. That's because we have a player, Kane, who is so good and so complete as a striker that there are almost no circumstances, bar trivial ones, in which he would be deemed upgradable. Even when he's having a poor game, he scores, when he misses three sitters, he scores the fourth, his confidence never wains.

So surely you can understand the logic of people saying - if we are going to commit circa 75m+ on a forward, to get the value from that deal it needs to be someone who can also play other positions, so that we can get a lot more use/minutes from that player.

With regards to prioritising a CM over a forward, again, it's logical right now because we have Kane - who always starts when fit - we have Son - who is a really good forward and is also versatile - and as a third choice we have Llorente - who is just an older, slower version of Kane, who didn't cost 50m and is happy to sit on the bench - and then we also have other players who score goals and/or could be pushed forward in an emergency like Alli, Eriksen, and at a push Lamela and Moura.

But many of us feel our central midfield options aren't as deep or as high in quality as those forward options. We are losing Dembele, Wanyama is fucked. Dier and Sissoko do "jobs" but don't do them as well as many of us would like. Winks is embryonic in his development and playing out of position. Skipp is 18yo.

Anecdotal and data evidence suggests our forwards/AM's are amongst the best in this league. The same criteria suggests some of our defenders are too. The same criteria suggests our midfielders are definitely not. That is why many of us would prioritise that area first.

Teams can have weaknesses, but still do relatively well because the strengths compensate. In our case we have a great coach, a really good collective coached and tactical ethos most of the time, and some great players. Like ManU winning the league with Phil Jones in midfield and O'Shea at the back. We are doing well enough with the CM's we have, but many of us think we aren't far away from genuinely challenging for a title and that the area that would most improve that would be midfield, because in Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Son we have some of the best creative and creatively productive players in this league already. We don't have any midfielders that are currently "top echelon".

Great post mate.

Unanswerable argument. :bow:

Mind you I wouldn't mind another versatile striker/ or AM as well as a CM. :D:eek:

Seems there is a growing hard on for Jarrod Bowen from various Spurs sources.

Why?
I don't know, but (and I know this sounds like a bullshit story) his girlfriend's father works for the same company as me. He mentioned about 3 months ago that Jarrod was signing for Spurs. I laughed at the time and thought there was no chance, but now we're being linked with him a lot I guess we must've at least been tracking him then. He's had a great run of form since I was told about this too

I don't know, but (and I know this sounds like a bullshit story) his girlfriend's father works for the same company as me. He mentioned about 3 months ago that Jarrod was signing for Spurs. I laughed at the time and thought there was no chance, but now we're being linked with him a lot I guess we must've at least been tracking him then. He's had a great run of form since I was told about this too

Must be something about him.
22, never played at the top level or near to it and how much? £25-£30 million?

Jeebus H.

This is why we're not going to progress and win the nice things in life

Must be something about him.
22, never played at the top level or near to it and how much? £25-£30 million?

Jeebus H.

This is why we're not going to progress and win the nice things in life
Yeah, I'm surprised he's gone as far as he has to be honest. I saw him play a couple of games about 5 years ago for Hereford in the Conference, and didn't think he was anything too special, but his current form is fantastic. I just worry that maybe he's raising his game because of the speculation that a big club is in for him, but won't be able to keep that up or do it against quality opposition. I don't know if that's likely to be the case though as I rarely watch Hull play.

As I mentioned earlier though, he does seem to be flexible when it comes to what position he can play, and is still young. If Poch can get hold of him then who knows how good he could become

Yeah, I'm surprised he's gone as far as he has to be honest. I saw him play a couple of games about 5 years ago for Hereford in the Conference, and didn't think he was anything too special, but his current form is fantastic. I just worry that maybe he's raising his game because of the speculation that a big club is in for him, but won't be able to keep that up or do it against quality opposition. I don't know if that's likely to be the case though as I rarely watch Hull play.

As I mentioned earlier though, he does seem to be flexible when it comes to what position he can play, and is still young. If Poch can get hold of him then who knows how good he could become

I assume his biggest selling point is his nationality.

But imagine we fork out £30 million for him and then a rival forks out £35-£40million for Lozano.

At that point I think I'd forget about cunt offs and do a full on Gavin Whyte!!

Dear me it becomes pointless.

Okay lets see who we pretend to bid for by January 31st.

People have got to get past this Kane obsession. Until we get a proper 2nd striker we ain't winning sh!t. Remember whilst many of you clamber for a central defender we had Dembele and Wanyama at their best for a while. We won what?

Sissoko been our best player this season. We have lost 6 games out of 22. The most in the top 6 despite being 3rd.

We need to not quake in our boots if Kane gets injured. We need another STRIKER who can step in. Who might already be playing and leave Son where he plays best, when available of course.

If we want to be the best we equip ourselves.

Pochettino need look at nearly every single successful side to see you must have more than one out and out striker on your books.

It beggars belief that so many can neither see it or accept it.
No point in signing a striker to play when Kane doesn’t. Kane always plays. He’s played more games in 2018 than any other premiership player. He always plays or Poch never rotates. Either one means no playing time for a new striker.

Also, people wanting Divok Origi? Jesus suffering Christ.

No point in signing a striker to play when Kane doesn’t. Kane always plays. He’s played more games in 2018 than any other premiership player. He always plays or Poch never rotates. Either one means no playing time for a new striker.

Also, people wanting Divok Origi? Jesus suffering Christ.
But think of the fun you could have singing his name to the tune of “we love to boogie”.

Answer two simple questions -
1) Could we buy a better striker than Harry Kane?
2) Who has bigger impact on the games - someone who starts all the important games or someone who sits on the bench most of the time?

Talking about open quesitons - you quote number of games we lost... yea, but how did you prove that it was down to the lack of strikers? You just state a fact and do not explain how it is relevant to this issue.
Kane in fact put us into the lead in 2 of those 6. In both cases we failed to keep onto this lead (if we would we'd be just 3 points off top now).

Or can you explain, how have we failed to win titles BECAUSE of the lack of 2nd "out-and-out-striker"? How exactly has this influenced?

Good come back and respectful so fine.

Of course I can't prove what I have put forward no more than you can say or prove definitively that we would not have been better.

What I might offer though is the last 4 Prem winners and the 2nd strikers or players that came up with match winning goals or the lack of injury to the main striker in each team.

I think that Costa in the 2014,/15 injury had his fair share but Haxard chipped in and Chelsea did not concede many goals.

Leicester with Vardy and Mahrez and Ulloa scored a few I recall. Again single or winning goals.

The key things to bear in mind and many don't on here hence the need for a 2nd striker is that Chelsea (1 season) and Leicester only had the league for their main striker to be fit for.

Kane is the England captain, our stand-in captain and nearly always involved.

So okay I will accept that in a normal 38 plus 3 or 4 game season we might get away with the one striker model (although we have a rarely played Llorente) but think we would be so much better with a proper 2nd out and out striker, who of course would be developing all the time.

Right now we have nobody without taking a player away from his preferred position.

Back
Top Bottom