Tottenham Hotspur v. Manchester United (Wembley)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not gonna say I wouldn't have preferred to see a central midfielder come in during the summer, perhaps 2. Although I doubt anyone would have predicted we would be stuck with Winks and Skipp as our only available CM's half way through the season.

Still, Its hard to quantify how a couple of new signings would have improved Kane or Allis finishing in this game, or how it would have stopped de Gea from having a 10/10 performance? If Tripper isn't on the pitch perhaps he doesn't make that mistake.Or if we had better options in the middle after Sissoko went off, maybe we would have got a point? Who knows?

If we go this window without a "decent" signing then we may as well give the place up to the tourists (not that Levy would have a problem with that) and even then i think this is the final nail in Wembley's coffin for a lot of fans.

Still, City won the league last year after spending hundreds of millions and their stadium is probably the most soulless, tourist hole you will find in the league.

Still, Its hard to quantify how a couple of new signings would have improved Kane or Allis finishing in this game, or how it would have stopped de Gea from having a 10/10 performance?

As you say, it's difficult to quantify. My hypothesis would be that if Kane or Alli were a bit fresher, then maybe they could have got a step away from the defender somewhere and had what it takes to make the shot into the corner a bit more precise, thereby making it more difficult for De Gea to save. Of course this is pure speculation, but in these big games it comes down to such minor details. At times it was a matter of inches, where perhaps one or two games less in the legs could have been the difference.

Of course the other side to the argument is, whether the new signings would have managed to get the same results in the other matches, but that's the nature of the speculation over what might have been.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs
To be clear, you don’t see any difference whatsoever between the defeat yesterday and the one where we rolled over at the Emirates? Or Wolves?

The “only” thing that matters is that we lost?

You don’t see any good signs from the “best 45 minutes” of Pochs reign here? (His words)

You take nothing from Winks performance, the spirit of the team, and the fact that despite the result we were the far superior team.

We lost so we must buy someone.
This place gets worse by the day.

At least we’re not fatigued anymore......
Or are we? Or is it just the full backs fault again and the central midfield that ran the game even though we have 4 CMs injured....

I understand the point you make but, the result of the game any game is all that matters. A year from now will people see the result and say Spurs were superb when they played Man Utd or will people just see a result? I would rather see Spurs be frustrating (as annoying as that might be) and win like against Chavski, than have a brilliant second half (the best in over 4 years) and lose.

I haven't said anywhere that we need to buy any players BTW, although with Sissoko and Kane looking doubtful and Son off to Asia it might be prudent. Shame Defoe has gone to Rangers.

Dozy post!

I think the key word is 'realistically'. We're nine points behind with a poorer GD and 16 games left. So we have to better Liverpool by 10 points with 48 on offer?

I think CL qualification is our realistic goal. Of course I want to win the league, but am being realistic.

I hope that's a confession and not an accusation, it was you that said it.

the gap and the games are immaterial, we still have to play them and bust a gut for points, in order to get CL for next year, whether we win the league or not.

Oh mate the gymnastics is something else too.

Airclitt reckons that despite twatti saying we have the worst fullbacks in the top half of the league he doesn't want signings to replace them lmao.
why don't you have a crack at talking to him, and about him like he was sat in front of you, in a pub - instead of piling on the abuse, then you'll both be able to get your points over and agree to disagree.

It doesn't have to be an "angry man" abuse fest.

My enjoyment of the board has gone up by large amounts since I have stopped myself from becoming embroiled in tit for tat slanging matches. I'm bloody sure we could all talk about these emotive subjects rationally and without all the abuse and anger.

I'm a changed man, no longer do I follow the path of the dark side.

Keeping the real bozo's on ignore helps as well.

I'
Still, City won the league last year after spending hundreds of millions and their stadium is probably the most soulless, tourist hole you will find in the league.
We could top that by being a super tourist hole without even/ever winning anything . Quite a remarkable achievement .

On another day that would have been 3 or 4-1. Totally smashed them in the second half; they looked pretty bad at the back. Hey ho, that is the way it goes sometimes.

why don't you have a crack at talking to him, and about him like he was sat in front of you, in a pub - instead of piling on the abuse, then you'll both be able to get your points over and agree to disagree.

My enjoyment of the board has gone up by large amounts since I have stopped myself from becoming embroiled in tit for tat slanging matches. I'm bloody sure we could all talk about these emotive subjects rationally and without all the abuse and anger.

I stopped smoking weed since NYD I'll calm down when I get used to it.

But it’s his opinion Mick and who the fuck are you to lecture people about what and how they post

Amazing post even for you

That fucking fax machine.
FFS Madrid.

Annoying to lose almost solely because of DDG. Still the best in the league.

He did remarkably well but looking at where most of our shots ended up I do think bad finishing is more to blame than anything else:

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-13.33.49.png

9 shots all directly down the goalkeepers throats and what can you expect really?

But it’s his opinion Mick and who the fuck are you to lecture people about what and how they post

Amazing post even for you
Look at the way he expresses those opinions.
You would complain because you express yourself in a similarly aggressive and Hostile manner.
I made no comments about his opinions, just that we wouldn't talk this way to one another if we were in the same room.

So it wasn't a lecture Baz, just sharing something I learned. Doesn't it sadden you to see all this abuse and exchange of tit for tat post abuse after every loss?

You will recall that you were similarly aggressive to me, when I expressed an opinion about Sissoko, and you jumped all over it like it was heresy and since then you have been critical of pretty much anything I post.

Surely we can hold differing opinions and still be pleasant to one another?

Last edited:
On another day that would have been 3 or 4-1. Totally smashed them in the second half; they looked pretty bad at the back. Hey ho, that is the way it goes sometimes.

But of course all the talk now is what a wonderful job Solskjaer has done , it wouldn't have looked as good if the scoreline had reflected the game.
But then again the cunts did a right number on us didn't they, not content with daylight robbery that got 3 undeserved points but they also smashed our top goalscorer out so their charge at the top4 will be that much easier.

Did anyone else see Martial's hand in the face of Dele (I think) at the end of the 1st half. Play had just stopped for a firm challenge and although it was down the other end of the ground it looked clearly like he had his hand up on his face.
Martial shoved Tripps in the chest. At first, I thought he had pushed him in the face and was hoping for a red card.

Well if Harry is out it's simply a no goer that we lose Llorente. With Sonny missing games now, Kane realistically missing for at least a month if damage has been done and Janssen clearly never playing in our shirt again Fernando has become a hugely important part of our team.

I fully expect to see him play a fair amount and for our style to change slightly to accommodate the changes
We will probably play Lamela or Lucas as ST or as false 9's ahead of Llorente (if he stays).

We should have won yesterday on chances created.

Everyone can see that but lost. Bad luck? Not for me. How football is at times? Yep but it's 6 losses this season.

Pochettino saying the 2nd half was the best we had played in his 4 and a half years is nonsense. We were better against Liverpool last season at Anfield off the top of my head and I am sure I could example other performances.

We can talk about 16 wins (great) but 6 losses. I will always argue that a strong team maybe wins 14 of those, draws 5 ot 6 and maybe loses 2 or 3. And the top 2 teams so far this season (and likeliest to win the title have what stats?)

We lack options of the requisite quality. How they get into the squad and by that I also mean whether they cost 40 million plus or are picked up as a bargain matters not a jot. We are 2 or 3 players short.

Our squad has been beset by injuries and obviously that has been a problem but for me we lack depth in quality and have been found wanting a bit too much. So our defence has been good but not quite good enough. Our midfield and attack the same. In essence no area of the team has been top notch this season and you don't mount title challenges unless you top the stats in one of those areas.

Will January see new additions? I guess the answer will show where our ambitions lie for this season because with our fingers in all pies it seems obvious we are being stretched and may not get over the finishing line again.
I have no intention of getting involved in your debate, but come on. A top team wins 2 fewer games and is on the same points or 1 less than we are now? That makes no sense at all.

Back
Top Bottom