January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A young player, bit like a right footed David Brooks, is 18 year old Jack Clarke at Leeds. Really performing well atm.....one to keep an eye on thats for sure.

Really interesting how many young players Bielsa is thrusting into his team and squad.

I wouldn't think for a second as a United-fan that that will be the case tomorrow and in general it is pretty obvious that we are the favourites tomorrow.

As Spurs fans saying that, it's easy to say.

But they're United fans. In their mind they are the best club in world football who are now released from their Mourinho shackles and are unstoppable whilst we are 'bottling' Spurs. Who got 'battered' by Chelsea and couldn't beat Wolves.

I don't know a single United fan that isn't confident about tomorrow. Its odd. They've beaten nobody.

As Spurs fans saying that, it's easy to say.

But they're United fans. In their mind they are the best club in world football who are now released from their Mourinho shackles and are unstoppable whilst we are 'bottling' Spurs. Who got 'battered' by Chelsea and couldn't beat Wolves.

I don't know a single United fan that isn't confident about tomorrow. Its odd. They've beaten nobody.
I dunno, I know United fans who aren't confident at all and dreading this game and United fans who genuinely believe they will win and finish in the top-four, same can be seen online (last post I read at Redcafe was: "Think Spurs will win and quite comfortably, Hope I am wrong") .. All I can say is that they have good reasons to have worries about this one.

Because they beat us with a back four of Valencia-Smalling-Jones-Young last season and we barely threatened them?

Mourinho.

Sanchez not playing is good as is Fellaini being out.

We will score tomorrow and I will be staggered if we don't get 2 or 3.

If United out score that then they deserve to win but that will not be an all round strong United team.

That presupposes a price has been set for players we know we want and who won't be wanted by other clubs, and so much else besides.

It's a bizarre thought process.

My issue as a fan is that if our model has to be different then fine but what is the model?

No one knows at the present time and it seems fraught with complacency.
I'm fairly sure the people who actually need to know do know and understand our model. It's just that you, I, and the rest of the internet aren't in the group of people who need to know.

What seems fraught with complacency is your perspective of the situation. You, and the rest of us, have zero access to any real information we just simply see that no one has been signed and speculate as to the reasons why.

Seems a bit unlikely.

DaringFickleKawala-max-1mb.gif

The idea that we should buy someone because the window is open and that's what you do when the window is open, else the natives get restless is, frankly, Spammish.

Trading in players is kinda what a football club does.

If you're at Spurs, why would you buy your 4th or 5th DM candidate in January if you feel that you may be able to get one of your top 3 candidates in the summer?

Sure, great. Can we?

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way we go about our business.

If we go a full year without signing a new player, particularly if we offload some first team players, the way we're doing business has rather abruptly changed.

But okay, say we trim squad by selling Dembele and tell that Eriksen is his "substitute". Then we sell Llorente and tell that Son is his substitute. Now when the need actually comes calling for Son to be used as striker (as need for Eriksen seems to be materialized already now) ... then it leaves our AM options at Alli, Moura and Lamela. Does that seem sufficient enough for you to get us through 4 competitons?

To me it does not.

It's got us through 4 competitions so far. So I would hazard a guess at yes.

Pochettino thinks so. That's good enough for me.

Players being out injured doesn't equal lack in depth. It means people step up. Which they have.

Sorry for the late reply but... WHAAAT.

1) If we sell Dembele and Llorente then the situation is actually not the same it was before. Squad has become thinner. This is a fact. Both of them have pitched in over the course of current season.
2) Yes, we are very much alive in all competitions up to now. But are they compatitions all done and dusted? Or is it actually a case that they are all ongoing and our chances to achieve something in them would be boosted if we would add some new faces to replace departing players? I believe the latter.

I mean listening to you I start to think that your logic goes like this -
if there was a bridge that can carry 8 cars at any given point according to the architect's calculatons and there are now 12 cars on it, first bricks start to fall (first brick being loss and poor display against wolves that put us in much more difficult position in title race). And you would be like "Ah, see. It can take more than it is designed to. As it is now proven it can take more cars so I find it absolutely safe to drive on it as well! I should not consider other options as up to now everything is going decently".

Well... fook me. I never believed that the day would come where I would understand even bit what John Thomas John Thomas is lamenting here about but... well miracles do happen.

I stand my ground and say that trimming our squad thinner without replacement is a short-sighted decision. Exactly for the reason mentioned above - we are fighting on 4 fronts - we should reinforce the squad AT LEAST when there are departures who have helped carry the load for first XI (sure, we would not need to replace Janssen or N'Koudou as they have not been part of it).

It's pretty clear that we need all the depth we have right now.
I don't think we can afford to sell Llorente, Dembele or Toby without replacing them.
Toby for sure will not be sold until summer at the earliest. Can't see Llorente being sold either.
Not talking about GKN or Janssen of course- they are clearly deemed not good enough by Poch.
Vorm for his part won't be sold until the summer. Only keeping 2 keepers has proven perilous in the past.
That just leaves Dembele then, who could be sold. And even if so, it appears Poch/Levy have already started experimenting with Marsh as a depth option/replacement.

We ain't doing any business this winter unless Dembele gets sold, and even then, we might not if Marsh can prove himself competent enough for an end-of-the-bench role.

A young player, bit like a right footed David Brooks, is 18 year old Jack Clarke at Leeds. Really performing well atm.....one to keep an eye on thats for sure.

Really interesting how many young players Bielsa is thrusting into his team and squad.

Surprised he hasn’t been linked to the United job yet! On a serious note though we should look at sending some of our youth on loan there

Sorry for the late reply but... WHAAAT.

1) If we sell Dembele and Llorente then the situation is actually not the same it was before. Squad has become thinner. This is a fact. Both of them have pitched in over the course of current season.
2) Yes, we are very much alive in all competitions up to now. But are they compatitions all done and dusted? Or is it actually a case that they are all ongoing and our chances to achieve something in them would be boosted if we would add some new faces to replace departing players? I believe the latter.

I mean listening to you I start to think that your logic goes like this -
if there was a bridge that can carry 8 cars at any given point according to the architect's calculatons and there are now 12 cars on it, first bricks start to fall (first brick being loss and poor display against wolves that put us in much more difficult position in title race). And you would be like "Ah, see. It can take more than it is designed to. As it is now proven it can take more cars so I find it absolutely safe to drive on it as well! I should not consider other options as up to now everything is going decently".

Well... fook me. I never believed that the day would come where I would understand even bit what John Thomas John Thomas is lamenting here about but... well miracles do happen.

I stand my ground and say that trimming our squad thinner without replacement is a short-sighted decision. Exactly for the reason mentioned above - we are fighting on 4 fronts - we should reinforce the squad AT LEAST when there are departures who have helped carry the load for first XI (sure, we would not need to replace Janssen or N'Koudou as they have not been part of it).

Quick question, given the option would you rather keep Dembele & Llorente seeing as both have hardly figured in the league or against top class opposition for a while now and not get money in to invest in the squad come the summer or ship both out, get £15m or so and that goes towards signing a better quality player even if we have to wait until the summer to get them? Genuine question

Back
Top Bottom