January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SAP Hart Lane?

Spurs Are Pony :defoe:

Logo’s blue and white at least :pochsmirk:

images

Grillitsch actually has very impressive stats for a 6.

2.3 tackles per game
2.1 interceptions per game
1.1 key passes per game
1 dribble per game

If we compare that to some other of central midfielders we've been linked with:

NDombele (22 years old):

1.8 tackles per game
0.5 interceptions per game
1.2 key passes per game
1.7 dribble per game

de Jong (21 years old):
1.4 tackles per game
1.6 interceptions per game
1.2 key passes per game
1.5 dribble per game

Rabiot (23 years old):
2.3 tackles per game
0.7 interceptions per game
0.4 key passes per game
0.9 dribble per game

Berge (20 years old):
2 tackles per game
1.3 interceptions per game
0.8 key passes per game
0.9 dribble per game

Diawara (21 years old):
1.1 tackle per game
0.8 interceptions per game
0.3 key passes per game
0.8 dribble per game

He looks like a very smart signing, especially if the release clause if just a measly £18,000,000. I still want Sander Berge personally and hope it's someone we aim to go for in the summer but I quite like the look of Grillitsch too if he's coming in to be a number 6 for us, break up play, win it back and move the ball forward.

Here we can compare to the midfielders we have who play the same position.

Winks (22 years old):
0.8 tackles per game
0.5 key passes per game
0.7 dribbles per game

Sissoko (29 years old):
1 tackle per game
0.8 key passes per game
1.1 dribbles per game

Dier (24 years old):
1.3 tackles per game
0.3 key passes per game
0.2 dribbles per game

Dembele (31 years old):
1.4 tackles per game
0.6 interceptions per game
0.1 key passes per game
0.5 dribbles per game

He makes more tackles per game than Winks and Sissoko manage together. He also makes more interceptions than all of those 3 put together. Also shows off his #8 ability with the key passes too. For the price being touted, I'd say it was probably worth the gamble.

He's probably not our central midfield saviour but he'd add very good depth to it and could end up being an unsung hero if partnered well. I think him and Dele would work very well.

Last edited:
Very meh.

Also, the state of some of those grounds - is that the Bundesliga? Some of them looked more like Nonliga. The rest were empty

That's the national stadium here in Vienna! (yes, the ground gets torn up a lot in fall/winter and it's surrounded by a track and nobody goes to the matches) ... the Austrian national team is what it is.

I quite like Grillitsch, he's a very tidy player with good physical attributes and has been very good in the Bundesliga since he broke in with Werder Bremen. For 18M GBP he'd be an excellent aquisition.

2.3 tackles per game
1.1 key passes per game

NDombele:

1.8 tackles per game
1.2 key passes per game

de Jong:
1.4 tackles per game
1.2 key passes per game

Rabiot:
2.3 tackles per game
0.4 key passes per game

Berge:
2 tackles per game
0.8 key passes per game

Diawara:
1.1 tackle per game
0.3 key passes per game

He looks like a very smart signing, especially if the release clause if just a measly £18,000,000. I still want Sander Berge personally and hope it's someone we aim to go for in the summer but I quite like the look of Grillitsch too if he's coming in to be a number 6 for us, break up play, win it back and move the ball forward.

Winks:
0.8 tackles per game
0.5 key passes per game

Sissoko:
1 tackle per game
0.8 key passes per game

Dembele:
1.4 tackles per game
0.1 key passes per game

He makes more tackles per game than Winks and Sissoko manage together. He also makes more interceptions than all of those 3 put together. Also shows off his #8 ability with the key passes too. For the price being touted, I'd say it was probably worth the gamble.

He's probably not our central midfield saviour but he'd add very good depth to it and could end up being an unsung hero if partnered well. I think him and Dele would work very well.
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

hd7rC6V.gif

2.3 tackles per game
1.1 key passes per game

NDombele:

1.8 tackles per game
1.2 key passes per game

de Jong:
1.4 tackles per game
1.2 key passes per game

Rabiot:
2.3 tackles per game
0.4 key passes per game

Berge:
2 tackles per game
0.8 key passes per game

Diawara:
1.1 tackle per game
0.3 key passes per game

Winks:
0.8 tackles per game
0.5 key passes per game

Sissoko:
1 tackle per game
0.8 key passes per game

Dembele:
1.4 tackles per game
0.1 key passes per game

Sorry Totti, but that post is the sort of thing Sky do to try and fill 10 minutes on a boring day where there is no news and Jim Shite is glaring at his mobile just begging it to be Oor 'Arry

Sorry Totti, but that post is the sort of thing Sky do to try and fill 10 minutes on a boring day where there is no news and Jim Shite is glaring at his mobile just begging it to be Oor 'Arry

It's also a post that proves that he'd likely be a substantial improvement on our lacklustre central midfield.

People want to know why we give up so many chances. Just check out the pathetic interception and tackle stats from our midfield.

It's also a post that proves that he'd likely be a substantial improvement on our lacklustre central midfield.

People want to know why we give up so many chances. Just check out the pathetic interception and tackle stats from our midfield.
The Chelsea game really highlighted it IMO. Good performance by Chelsea but we were pinned back so much with the midfield not getting a foothold.

Modern football is governed by computerised stats nowadays, doesn't mean there aren't other glaring obvious things.

Third goal Wolves scored against us for example, you can read stats and compare this and that, here's a simple fact. Had someone lead the defensive line and stopped Winks from breaking it and play the Wolves player onside, there would have been no goal.

Would it be possible that the reason Grilitsch makes more interceptions that he is playing in a team that has less possession than their opponents?

I don't think any of us could second guess Pochettino or Levy at present.

Who knows what Pochettino thinks we need and nobody has a clue what, if any funds Levy would release.

I can see this lack of meaningful transfer activity going on for some time.

I just don't get any impression of clarity whatsoever in terms of perceived gaps, targets or overall means to improve the squad.

But I think even less, that posters on here really have a clue about what players would add value.

I bet you'd never heard of him until today but now he's a must buy!

:dembelelol:

I've seen him play plenty of times. Hoffenheim are a great side to watch under Nagelsmann.

I wouldn't say HE himself is a must buy but a central midfielder is crucial. His stats simply prove he's better than every single midfielder we have defensively.

The Chelsea game really highlighted it IMO. Good performance by Chelsea but we were pinned back so much with the midfield not getting a foothold.

We were pinned back because we lacked tempo and played in narrow, flat zones. They had an easy outball every time to the wingers because our fullbacks played so narrow. I think Poch learned from the FA cup semi final defeat and guarded against Chavski bypassing our midfield. The result was we played too deep. For instance, when we cleared long from our box, the ball kept falling in a 10 metre zone where Chavski had players, but it was between our midfield and strikers. Yet this never changed the whole game.

Back
Top Bottom