Chelsea (league Cup) semi 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Black Mirror

The Selection

Pochettino went with a pretty strong line up for this one, just about the strongest line up available to him. Sanchez and Alderweireld at the back, Trippier and Rose as FB’s with Kane and Son in front of the midfield diamond of Winks, Sissoko, Eriksen and Alli. The only real possible controversial choice was Gazzaniga over Lloris. But as has almost become tradition now (with many teams), the “league cup” keeper kept his place.

The Structure

Once again, Poch went with the 41212/4312 diamond. This has Winks sitting in front of the back four, Sissoko and Eriksen as the lateral 8’s pivoting off him just ahead and Alli at the head of the diamond.

The Game

Tactically, this game unfolded as an almost mirror image of the league game about six weeks ago. That game back in November ranks as one of my favourite Pochettino games. In that game he gave Alli a man marking remit on Chelsea’s key man, Jorginho, we pressed high and aggressively, and there was an intensity to our play with and without the ball all over the pitch. Although they had marginally more of the ball that day (partly due to the fact that we’d raced to a 2-0, then 3-0 lead) we hemmed them into areas we were comfortable with them playing in, they rarely troubled us, rarely had meaningful possession in our third and ended up having 2 shots on target.

This game almost reversed that. For some reason, despite going with a similar structure shape wise, Poch decided to forgo that previously very successful application. Not just the Alli/Jorginho man marking job, but the intensity and high pressure.

The dropping of the intensity and high pressing may not have been totally deliberate, but the decision to not put someone on Jorginho, man for man, clearly was.

This game Chelsea seemed to take the initiative, show more intensity without the ball, continually pressed us high up, and I’m not sure if deliberate or just a symptom of format match up (I’d need to watch it again) but they also seemed to have Kante working Eriksen.

The result was a game that Chelsea controlled throughout, with and without the ball, and we found it extremely hard to build any momentum or create dangerous situations, even on the counter. Even our goal was basically just a back to front hump by Alderweireld to Kane (it was a very classy hump - as Alderweireld’s often are).

Where Poch tactically outsmarted Sarri last time, Sarri definitely came out on top, tactically anyway, this time, stopped us playing through midfield, kept our “playmaker” Eriksen quiet, and effectively cut off supply to the forwards.

I think Winks was the only player ahead of the defence to come out of the game with much credit; defensively, positionally, he is learning on the job and is showing improvement ( 3 tackles, 1 assist - second behind Trippier on the night) but was also our only player who consistently showed up and got on the ball.

If Winks was the better of the bunch (76 touches - highest), he was let down somewhat by Eriksen and Sissoko. Whilst Eriksen was disappointing, he at least had this league’s hunter gatherer supreme - Kante - on his arse all game, and he still managed to see more of the ball (59 touches) than Sissoko (44) who had Barkley on his side.

And here is the problem. In this system Winks sits at the base of the diamond, he shuttles the ball to the 8’s - Eriksen and Sissoko - who’s job it is to transition, to progress through midfield, their job is spark that transition. Eriksen failed to do this last night, but does do this regularly (4 goal, 7assists, 1.8 key passes a game, and sees shitload of ball and uses it cleverly), but Sissoko doesn’t (1 assist, 0.7 KP ave, and doesn’t do anything cleverly). And defensively, Sissoko is no better than Eriksen, his pressing is no more dynamic, he also gives away more free kicks with his clumsiness (also averaging identical tackles and assists to Eriksen for what it’s worth).

Again, Sissoko isn’t the reason we played badly today, this was very much a collective and reactive performance, but a better footballer in that midfielder position might just have given us a more chances to beat the press, to compete. Winks certainly saw his share of the ball (62 passes 88%), Sissoko (34 passes 85%) didn’t.

Several other players had their light dimmed by the efficacy of Chelsea’s application. Alli was really poor until switched into the left midfield spot, where he found himself in the thick of the game and forced, almost by default, to be involved. His last 20-30 minutes was decent enough, and gave us a more physical presence in there.

Son was ineffectual and rightly subbed, with Lamela the logical choice. Lamela brought “Lamella” stuff. Some tenacity, some carelessness, a modicum of creative threat, unfortunately he made a bit of a mess of our best second half chance, that might of killed the game off.

In the past it’s been levelled at Poch that whilst his football intentions are admirable - and the application of them sometimes fabulous - there’s sometimes been a bit of naivety (Juve, ManU semi, Chelsea semi eg) when the big test arrives. That maybe his football altruism gets undone by more wiley tactical practitioners, so maybe, just maybe this is an example of a more pragmatically robust Pochettino, a game won ruthlessly, rather than extravagantly. Lets hope so. We’ll know in a couple of weeks.

Individual

Gazzaniga - Pretty decent apart from the odd spill.

Trippier - Defensively solid enough, not allowed to offer anything offensively.

Sanchez - Good game

Alderweireld - Nice ball for Kane. Defensively pretty good, though did lose his man badly at one corner.

Rose - Really poor defensively for the first hour, was giving Hudson-Odoi far too much space and constantly allowed balls to come into the box, luckily the rookie didn’t make the most, but had that been a more experienced player it could have been fatal. Last 20 when HOdoi was switched, he was OK. Like Trippier, he offered nothing offensively all night.

Sissoko - We desperately need someone who brings more, with and without the ball to this role.

Winks - Defensively this was the toughest test he’s had for a while, and with the ball he needed more help from Eriksen and particularly Sissoko. Too often he was looking for a progressive pass and people weren’t available around him.

Eriksen - This was his quietest game for a few months. Cheslea did a good job on him - Kante particularly - he still saw a bit more of the ball than Sissoko, but just did not effect the game enough.

Alli - Poor for the first hour or so, improved when dropped deeper.

Son - Really poor game, not involved at all.

Kane - Did really well to beat the offside and win the pen (and score it) and did work hard off the ball, but another starved of oxygen.

Sissoko clearly our best midfielder but your amazing biase stops you seeing this or making your reviews objectionable or remotely accurate

Has he done something to you in your personal life?

Sissoko clearly our best midfielder but your amazing biase stops you seeing this or making your reviews objectionable or remotely accurate

Has he done something to you in your personal life?

To you he's always our best midfielder though isn't he?

At least I'm giving you an explanation of why I think he he isn't.

Clearly our best midfielder why? By all means peddle your bias explain your reasoning Bazza.

To you he's always our best midfielder though isn't he?

At least I'm giving you an explanation of why I think he he isn't.

Clearly our best midfielder why? By all means peddle your bias explain your reasoning Bazza.

I’ve done this on numerous occasions and I’m not going into detail as it’s late

Sissoko is a limited player technically
His control is weak and his confidence of actually shooting is very limited, sadly

His physique, athleticism and desire to do his job shouldn’t be in question
Even from you!

He covers his full backs constantly
Popping up on both sides of the field
He breaks up the opposition’s attacks
He relieves our defence by making forward dashes sometimes resulting in a meaningful assist
Think Inter Milan at home

If it wasn’t for Sissoko storming into their half Eriksen wouldn’t have scored and we would have been dumped out of the CL

He is a vital cog in our midfield
I recognise that and have always believed in him

Fortunately for our magnificent team so has Poch

But you melt away

Most of what you post I agree with but on this subject we’re poles apart

Night

Agree with a lot of your post just not sure how you get these two conclusions -

Rose
- Really poor defensively for the first hour, was giving Hudson-Odoi far too much space and constantly allowed balls to come into the box, luckily the rookie didn’t make the most, but had that been a more experienced player it could have been fatal. Last 20 when HOdoi was switched, he was OK. Like Trippier, he offered nothing offensively all night.

For me Rose was MoM he was brilliant in defence first against Hudson making him turn onto the wrong foot time after time, and then against hazard when Sarri switched him. (FYI - several pundits also had him as MoM)

And as for -

Where Poch tactically outsmarted Sarri last time, Sarri definitely came out on top, tactically anyway, this time, stopped us playing through midfield, kept our “playmaker” Eriksen quiet, and effectively cut off supply to the forwards.

Firstly we won 1-0 so the 'outsmarting' clearly failed, and secondly we played a completely different tactic to the Chelsea league game, our tactics were very clearly to keep Chelsea outside our penalty area, to allow Chelsea space until the final third but limiting them to long range shots, that's not to say we didn't press but not at anything like our usual intensity. We played a back four with FB's hardly getting out of our half, we had Winks, Eriksen, Dele and Sissoko as a second line of four with Kane and Son as a front two. If you look at the heat map for our midfield four it's clearly a 'barrier' between the halfway line and the penalty area, classic 4-4-2. Can't argue that Sarri upped his game, but would strongly argue that far from being 'outsmarted' Poch saw it coming and set us up perfectly to keep them out.

Guess that's what's so great about football, nobody is ever right, it's all about opinions

Last thought - Sissoko is breathtaking, amazing, stunning, astounding, astonishing, awe-inspiring, stupendous, staggering, extraordinary, incredible, unbelievable he's the GOAT - you're just going to have to suck that up at some point

Gazzaniga MOTM for me. A massive game for him and he kept us in it with a superb first half save when Chelsea were very much on top. Safe hands all night bar one slip in the second half but comfortable all night.

Defence were all brilliant for me. Trippier won every header. Rose put in some great tackles and Sanchez looked back to his absolute best tonight. Alderweireld had his best game of the season too.

Not sure any besides Alderweireld could be deemed MOTM from our defence though. CHO had Rose on toast for most of the first half, almost like Rose was scared to get near him and Trippier allowed a few crosses in, one of which Kante hit the post.

Midfield were poor though. I hate the diamond formation personally but again, how can I fault it when we are winning games!?

I thought Winks was our best midfielder surprisingly. He did get disposessed once in the second half when hanging on to the ball for too long but thought he helped us keep the ball well. Sissoko done well in the task of taking the ball upfield but literally gave possession back to Chelsea everytime. Didn't stop running though so credit him. Eriksen was poor and Dele had a really good second half when deeper.

Son had a quiet game and Kane got the winner. Skipp and Llorente not on long enough to critique and Lamela is just a basted. But he's ours.

We'll have to play alot better in the second leg. And we'll have to play alot better at the weekend where I imagine we play a pretty similar team.

Sissoko is obviously growing in confidence as I saw him telling a team mate to do something.
I've never seen him do that before. I have to agree with Baz. Winks was pedestrian and subdued.
Sissoko was the one breaking up their attacks not Winks. My man Rose just edged it for me.

Not sure any besides Alderweireld could be deemed MOTM from our defence though. CHO had Rose on toast for most of the first half, almost like Rose was scared to get near him and Trippier allowed a few crosses in, one of which Kante hit the post.

Midfield were poor though. I hate the diamond formation personally but again, how can I fault it when we are winning games!?

We'll have to play alot better in the second leg. And we'll have to play alot better at the weekend where I imagine we play a pretty similar team.

Agree with most of this entire post . Worst thing for me was to see the return of the 'hot potato' scenario with our players desperate to get rid of the ball , footballing confidence trashed . Hopeful punts upfield abounding .
Result was good and our defence held tho woodwork hit twice , but Chelski looked to be on as different level technique wise and yes , we'll have to play a lot better at the W/E and in the return leg if we are to go through .

Defense and Kane were great. Eriksen was day dreaming about life in Madrid all night long. Dele and Son ran around like a bunch of headless chicken chasing the ball.

What did Sarri do?
sun10.jpg

Sissoko is obviously growing in confidence as I saw him telling a team mate to do something.
I've never seen him do that before. I have to agree with Baz. Winks was pedestrian and subdued.
Sissoko was the one breaking up their attacks not Winks. My man Rose just edged it for me.

So the player for us that saw more of the ball than anyone, was the one that was subdued. Of the players that started only Kane, Son and Alderweireld actually put in less tackles or intercepts than Sissoko but he was the one breaking up their attacks? Nobody on our team gave the ball away more than Rose, who also continually allowed Hudson-Odoi to put ball after ball into our box but he was MOTM?

Even by football's "all about opinions" that's pretty Abstract surrealism.

Last edited:
Gazzaniga MOTM for me. A massive game for him and he kept us in it with a superb first half save when Chelsea were very much on top. Safe hands all night bar one slip in the second half but comfortable all night.

Defence were all brilliant for me. Trippier won every header. Rose put in some great tackles and Sanchez looked back to his absolute best tonight. Alderweireld had his best game of the season too.

I thought Winks was our best midfielder surprisingly. He did get disposessed once in the second half when hanging on to the ball for too long but thought he helped us keep the ball well. Sissoko done well in the task of taking the ball upfield but literally gave possession back to Chelsea everytime. Didn't stop running though so credit him. Eriksen was poor and Dele had a really good second half when deeper.

Son had a quiet game and Kane got the winner. Skipp and Llorente not on long enough to critique and Lamela is just a basted. But he's ours.

Agree regarding Gazza and he looked solid
But his distribution does concern me
Worse than Hugo

Worse than Hugo
my main worry for us is he is not quick enough off his line, there were a few instances where he really needed to be off his line to collect the ball a half a second before he did. I don't see him as higher than second choice and I cant see him learning.

*a good second choice.

my main worry for us is he is not quick enough off his line, there were a few instances where he really needed to be off his line to collect the ball a half a second before he did. I don't see him as higher than second choice and I cant see him learning.

*a good second choice.

Yes agreed but he’s a good shot stopper though

Worse than Hugo

Think it's better than Lloris' personally.

Calm. Composed. Only made 2 errors from his distribution, which considering how much of the ball he had, is rather impressive.

Gazzaniga was trying to play it short for our defenders to try and work it into midfield and then through to Kane and Son down the channels. Problem was, we couldn't get it to midfield because they were all sub-par.

Gazzaniga (and our defence) was let down by our midfielders not capable of doing their job. Everytime we DID knock it long it came back to us. Gazzaniga tried his best NOT to knock it long knowing it'd cause us more pressure.

Also in Italy Sarri was always crying. He had come to complain to Juventus also about the games: if they played first they said they were disadvantaged because Juventus would have played knowing the result of the direct opponent. If they played afterwards they said there was too much pressure.
Sounds like him and the chavs are a match made in heaven.
Only club maybe better suited would be Liverpool.

Back
Top Bottom