January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought Sissoko was bought to play on the right of the front three (where he played for Newcastle) - someone to run straight and break lines - he had a good tournament for France in CM but that was not where he was playing regularly.
Sissoko would have been bought for his versatility. Outside of GK we have hardly any players that can only do one position.

Sissoko would have been bought for his versatility. Outside of GK we have hardly any players that can only do one position.
Poch definitely seems to have a fancy for versatile players. Sissoko, Ben, Dier, Foyth, Toby, Jan, Our entire attacking line basically rotate where they play during the span of a game as well.

Seems to take the ball in his stride well, looks pretty disciplined and doesn't mind running with the ball. It's a very weak link at present butt I just say he does look very much like a midfielder that Pochettino would like.

With Dembele going I wonder if this has legs. I'd still prefer a little bit of flair and I'd much prefer a signing like Berge but with Meite having flashes of Wanyama about him I wonder if Victors time is up with us

Someone please tell Levy to sign a player now as Dembele gone and that is if he has the intention to do so, not leave it to the 31st of Jan 11pm.

I mean, we have 6 players for 3 spots. It's not the end of the world.

But yeah, I would expect us to sign someone.

And how can I expect title race if we're gonna sell our best CM... Fuck thoose 11M, give me Dembele for the rest of the season.

Yeap, I am more with CroSpurs on this one.
It does not matter that we have "6 players" on paper when
- we sell one
- one of them has been out for 2 seasons with injury
- one is 18yo who is not really up to EPL top 6 level yet (I think his performances up to now have rather proven it)

So that leaves us with Dier, Sissoko and Winks as viable options as far as main CM options go (really would not count anyone from the attacking side here, as often they are still needed in higher positions). Staying with just this trio will leave us on extremely thin ice. What if someone gets injured? We cannot really play all 4 competitions with just 2 players.

So, I'd say it is quite clear that when we sell our best CM, we should also add someone new into the mix. I was fine with not signing anyone in summer, because no one left. Now it is different and given our position (alive in both domestic cups, into last 16 of champions league, still in the race for title) WE SHOULD NOT weaken the squad. COME ON now, "structures", find a solution for that. Let it be temporary gap filler (like Parker) if it has to be. But we need depth to compete! Do dare is to do!

This is great business to be fair.

Signed for £15,000,000. Got 6 and a half years out of him with some of those being absolutely excellent years. To sell him for near on £11,000,000 when he's available on a free in 6 months time is good.

Now get Berge in.

Yea, absolutely. In terms of financial management, it is quite good.
But at the same time we cannot compromize too much (meaning we have to be reasonable, and be patient at times, though this is not the case here) on the sporting size.

If you look at purely profit numbers, then we could cash in on quite many players for hefty sums.

So if he goes, we need to replace him. If we do not have replacement in line, then I would be rather willing to lose 10 mil than volunteer to leave our midfield too lightly staffed!!

This is why I actually think King would be a much better fit. Plays off the wing a lot too but still stong, quick and a can score. Also believe he counts as homegrown.

Plus someone to converse in Norwegian with Berge :freund:

Again... how would signing King would be reasonable, if he would be offering same skill-set and options than Son?!?

If we sell Llorente and alternatives are -
- invest money into someone who would not be better player than any of our current AM's and would not offer anything different from what we have now
- just stay with our current options and in case of need use Sonny or Moura up there (who are both better than proposed King).

Then my choice is quite simple. Stay with what we have!

No idea why people insist to remove Eriksen and Dele from our central midfield options when they've both played there ALL season.

I wasn't even counting Wanyama but if you insist to then 7 for 3 positions.

CRISIS.

Yea, Eriksen can play in midfield 3 and so can Alli.

But okay, say we trim squad by selling Dembele and tell that Eriksen is his "substitute". Then we sell Llorente and tell that Son is his substitute. Now when the need actually comes calling for Son to be used as striker (as need for Eriksen seems to be materialized already now) ... then it leaves our AM options at Alli, Moura and Lamela. Does that seem sufficient enough for you to get us through 4 competitons?

To me it does not.

And if our CM options are such a plenty then why in the world was Sissoko playing 8 games within 25 days from start to finish??? You can add Amos, Oakley-Boothe and Marsh and whoever there but in real life everyone saw how light we are in midfield over festive period.

But okay, say we trim squad by selling Dembele and tell that Eriksen is his "substitute". Then we sell Llorente and tell that Son is his substitute. Now when the need actually comes calling for Son to be used as striker (as need for Eriksen seems to be materialized already now) ... then it leaves our AM options at Alli, Moura and Lamela. Does that seem sufficient enough for you to get us through 4 competitons?

To me it does not.

And if our CM options are such a plenty then why in the world was Sissoko playing 8 games within 25 days from start to finish??? You can add Amos, Oakley-Boothe and Marsh and whoever there but in real life everyone saw how light we are in midfield over festive period.

It's got us through 4 competitions so far. So I would hazard a guess at yes.

Pochettino thinks so. That's good enough for me.

Players being out injured doesn't equal lack in depth. It means people step up. Which they have.

To me it does not.

Very true I would however, given the option rather take the chance of being left a little short if it means we get a higher quality of player in the summer instead of a backfill replacement we are limbered withnthat ain't up to scratch.

If you offered me a window of Dembele & Llorente leaving and us getting someone like Maja in for the touted £1.5m being thrown around I'd probably take that.

That would leave us with Kane, Son, Lucas or Maja up top, Dele, Son, Lamela, Lucas & Eriksen as AM options and Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Winks, Skipp, Sissoko & Wanyama as CM options. Not great, especially if we pick up a couple of injuries to the versatile players but definitely manageable.

Personally I think we'll move Dembele on and use the next few months to integrate Skipp into the first team more. I'd be hugely surprised to see us fork out the kind of money on the talent I'd expect us to be targeting these days in a month well known for deals being difficult to conclude

OH HEY EVERYONE, HERCULES HAS DESCENDED AND IS BESTOWING WISDOM.

giphy.gif

Real Madrid will be a very interesting place to watch for a chain of events. We could be key in that one.

A new low.
:levylol:

Back
Top Bottom