Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gareth Bale was the last big signing they made, that was nearly SIX years ago. Yet every single year they are linked with a player who they are tracking/targeting and looking to splash £100-£200m. Got to ask why none of these deals has ever happened.
Sounds like it's Madrid that are the keenest on him. I'd be surprised if he went there. Doesn't need the money, doesn't need the instability of revolving doors managers.

If it were Barca that were after him I'd be more worried.

Play tough Levy, make them go for Hazard

Well, if worse came to worse, Isco Inferno wouldn't be a bad replacement!

Seen him have some nice games, but in others I've barely noticed him....

Is he ACTUALLY a great player or another rep boosted by the RM-factor....?

See Morata/Kovacic?

I accept that some fans have had a hard-on for him for a few years now, but we know how quickly such interest gathers momentum to become the latest "the answer to our prayers"...

Sounds like it's Madrid that are the keenest on him. I'd be surprised if he went there. Doesn't need the money, doesn't need the instability of revolving doors managers.

If it were Barca that were after him I'd be more worried.

Play tough Levy, make them go for Hazard
I agree. Although I've nothing other than my gut to inform me. I think this is driven by the historical Ajax to Barca connection, he just seems a natural progression. Madrid, on the other hand, doesn't.

Seen him have some nice games, but in others I've barely noticed him....

Is he ACTUALLY a great player or another rep boosted by the RM-factor....?

See Morata/Kovacic?

I accept that some fans have had a hard-on for him for a few years now, but we know how quickly such interest gathers momentum to become the latest "the answer to our prayers"...

I'd rather we kept Christian, but if he wants out, we've got to start looking somewhere.

You never know if someone will fit in with the club or hit the ground running til they get here. No way to tell, mate. One thing for sure, if he came, i'd trust its because Poch wanted him and can whip him into shape. I think we might finally be past our N'Someone phase now.

Don't see a valid replacement for CE. He's our best dead ball man and probably our cleverest play maker. I think it would be a disaster if we lost him.

Don't see a valid replacement for CE. He's our best dead ball man and probably our cleverest play maker. I think it would be a disaster if we lost him.
Just to play devil's advocate: if there was a time to lose Eriksen, it would probably be the summer coming up given the status of his contract and still being able to command something of a decent fee for him. £10m initial fee + years of excellent service for a £100m price tag isn't the worst deal we've ever done. The ball is very much in his court though, as we all know that his 'dream move' is something he's had in the back of his mind since joining us.

Being positive, I'd say we're currently in the best shape when Eriksen isn't in the team that we've ever been under Poch. It used to be that his omission was a disaster, but we're starting to fill that creativity gap a bit better now.
Additionally, he's never regained that dangerousness from a direct free kick that he had in his first few seasons with us (trying to remember the last time he scored... was it Juve away?) and while he used to be the guy to take those free kicks for us, we now have Trippier and Kane also lining up to take them depending upon their position (with Davies and Lamela pitching in for indirect free kicks).

Having said all that, of course I'd love nothing more than to see him snub Madrid and sign a new contract with us. I'm hopeful that we'll cope if he does leave - as it's surely something our management has been planning for.

I'd rather we kept Christian, but if he wants out, we've got to start looking somewhere.

You never know if someone will fit in with the club or hit the ground running til they get here. No way to tell, mate. One thing for sure, if he came, i'd trust its because Poch wanted him and can whip him into shape. I think we might finally be past our N'Someone phase now.

Yep. Safe to say, however any possible deal could be sliced we won't be blowing the bulk of any CE fee on anyone if Poch isn't keen on them.

I've said before, aside from losing Eriksen himself, the big concern i have is how little we end up getting for him given how little is left of his contract.

We laugh at Chavs/Hazard but we are in the same boat really. Much like we tend to assume about Christian's motives; Hazard knows there are bigger clubs than Chelsea (note; he already gets the money and the trophies t'boot!).

I fear we won't come close to CE 'off the peg' so Poch being able to improve whoever did come in would likely prove crucial. As the chaps above noted, it really could come down to a love triangle between these two and RM. Would be sickening if things didn't fall our way... Hazard is the perfect kind of cunt for RM; Eriksen really isn't.

I'd speculate driving a cash only deal would work in our favour as a deterent, but.... If we were to make a short list with a (conservative) budget of say £80m. Who'd be on it?

Whilst he hasn't been the best at Chelsea and his stamina is an issue, Kovacic ISNT a Chelsea player so it wouldnt surprise me if Madrid even tried throwing Kovacic in the mix as opposed to Isco.

I wouldn’t want any of Madrid’s dead wood, they all have a questionable attitude. Just give us the cash and we will sign our own replacement.

I don’t think Eriksen’s departure is as certain as Toby’s but we will have to deliver an amazing second half of the season as well as a huge wage offer to get him to stay. He has to believe that this is the club where he should spend his prime years, if he doesn’t get that feeling then it’s inevitable that he won’t extend and will have to be sold.

Real are redeveloping the Bernabau soon so I doubt they will be splashing the cash. And like someone else said Bale was their last big signing and that was 6 years ago( wow where has the time gone)

Real are more likely to tell Eriksen to sit tight at Spurs for 18 months and then they will sign him on a free. I don't see them paying the 80-100 mill being touted around

Real are redeveloping the Bernabau soon so I doubt they will be splashing the cash. And like someone else said Bale was their last big signing and that was 6 years ago( wow where has the time gone)

Real are more likely to tell Eriksen to sit tight at Spurs for 18 months and then they will sign him on a free. I don't see them paying the 80-100 mill being touted around

Whilst he was their last 'Galactico' signing - they did £150,000,000 in the summer so I imagine they wouldn't mind spending some money on a player with less than 12 months on his cotnract.

I wouldn’t want any of Madrid’s dead wood, they all have a questionable attitude. Just give us the cash and we will sign our own replacement.

I don’t think Eriksen’s departure is as certain as Toby’s but we will have to deliver an amazing second half of the season as well as a huge wage offer to get him to stay. He has to believe that this is the club where he should spend his prime years, if he doesn’t get that feeling then it’s inevitable that he won’t extend and will have to be sold.

Eriksen staying or going is not about cash, he has said that he's quite happy with his salary offer, it's about his desire to play at top level in Spain, which means just two clubs. Barca are almost certainly out, they don't have the space in their salary budget, or the desire to restructure their midfield now Coutinho has settled in. That just leaves Real who do need to regroup, Solari won't last the summer so a new manager is highly likely. Who will that be? will he see Eriksen as the answer? would they rather have Hazard?

RM do believe they can deal with Levy, but they also know that this will cost them an extortionate amount. Not sure they will want to do that with other far more glaring issues in their squad.

Just to play devil's advocate: if there was a time to lose Eriksen, it would probably be the summer coming up given the status of his contract and still being able to command something of a decent fee for him. £10m initial fee + years of excellent service for a £100m price tag isn't the worst deal we've ever done. The ball is very much in his court though, as we all know that his 'dream move' is something he's had in the back of his mind since joining us.

Being positive, I'd say we're currently in the best shape when Eriksen isn't in the team that we've ever been under Poch. It used to be that his omission was a disaster, but we're starting to fill that creativity gap a bit better now.
Additionally, he's never regained that dangerousness from a direct free kick that he had in his first few seasons with us (trying to remember the last time he scored... was it Juve away?) and while he used to be the guy to take those free kicks for us, we now have Trippier and Kane also lining up to take them depending upon their position (with Davies and Lamela pitching in for indirect free kicks).

Having said all that, of course I'd love nothing more than to see him snub Madrid and sign a new contract with us. I'm hopeful that we'll cope if he does leave - as it's surely something our management has been planning for.
Harry shouldn't be taking free kicks but in the box where he's most effective. Trippier is inconsistent. It's up to Levy who once again is the only chairman in the premiership who can't stand to spend a penny. I think Sanchez is a waste of space. He only seems to play backwards and is rarely supporting his midfield. Levy needs to open his cheque book and buy some class proven players. How else are we going to challenge M.C. or Liverpool? They see a great player and they go after him. We have a weak bench in my opinion. Aurier, Llorente et al are only good against teams like Tranmere. They're completely out of their depth against the better Premiership teams.
We have a great starting 11 but apart from Lucas, the bench is mediocre.

Harry shouldn't be taking free kicks but in the box where he's most effective. Trippier is inconsistent. It's up to Levy who once again is the only chairman in the premiership who can't stand to spend a penny. I think Sanchez is a waste of space. He only seems to play backwards and is rarely supporting his midfield. Levy needs to open his cheque book and buy some class proven players. How else are we going to challenge M.C. or Liverpool? They see a great player and they go after him. We have a weak bench in my opinion. Aurier, Llorente et al are only good against teams like Tranmere. They're completely out of their depth against the better Premiership teams.

Is this the worst post of 2019 to date?

Harry shouldn't be taking free kicks but in the box where he's most effective.

Now that's an odd thing to say when Harry is in the top three striking goalscorers last year and this year so far - from outside the box

It's up to Levy who once again is the only chairman in the premiership who can't stand to spend a penny.

What about the 750m on a new stadium? is that not money?

How else are we going to challenge M.C. or Liverpool

Is that the same Liverpool who've already been knocked out of two trophies this season? the same Man City who are a whole 2 points above us in the EPL?

We have a weak bench in my opinion

We just played with eight bench players and won 7-0, our bench players have got us to the LC semi-final ... how did Liverpool's' bench get on yesterday?

They're completely out of their depth against the better Premiership teams

Funny thing but this season we've lost the second most injury days to squad players in the EPL, with Moura, Lamela, Dier, Eriksen, Vertongen, Dembele, Wanyama, Kane, Aldewereld, Lloris, etc. all out ... so how did our mediocre bench do? well we are top three, last 16 of the CL, and still in both the LC and the FA Cup

Did you ever consider that your opinion might just be slightly flawed?

Spaniel? more like demented Poodle .... piss poor trolling ....

In the space of one paragraph, you have gone from free kicks, management, a ridiculous critique of Sanchez, funding, an admiration of Liverpool, and a suggestion we can't compete or, as you say " are out of our depth" with the better Prem L sides.

Have you been watching us over the past 3-4 years ?

Serious question.

Tottenham could let Christian Eriksen run down his contract as talks continue over new deal | Daily Mail Online

If this is true then surely it should have been done already?

£140,000 p/w over 5 years = £36,400,000

Where in the world would you find anyone better for that money?

Maybe the club have offered him 200 a week and he doesn’t want it?
Maybe he just wants to leave?
Maybe he will renew.

Personally I think it’s vital we get into NWHL this season.....something like that could just give him that nudge and remind him of how big we are, and the magnitude of our plans.

Gareth Bale was the last big signing they made, that was nearly SIX years ago. Yet every single year they are linked with a player who they are tracking/targeting and looking to splash £100-£200m. Got to ask why none of these deals has ever happened.
because they kept on winning the CL and that's all they care about - IMO.

They have spent a shed load on younger players as well, they have been spending.

Back
Top Bottom