Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn't seem so long ago that players weren't that much different to us,does it? In the financial sense i mean
well in 1977 i was on £25 per week ( with luncheon vouchers), i think the players were living relatively normal lives though yes and were more in touch with the fans. Cyril Knowles and Terry Naylor egging the fans on to wreck northern towns for instance. Apart from a very few exceptions i don't feel any connection with the modern era Spurs players.

well in 1977 i was on £25 per week ( with luncheon vouchers), i think the players were living relatively normal lives though yes and were more in touch with the fans. Cyril Knowles and Terry Naylor egging the fans on to wreck northern towns for instance. Apart from a very few exceptions i don't feel any connection with the modern era Spurs players.
I lived in east Herts from the early 70s, we moved out there when i was 4.Most of the players lived a mile and half away from me in Turnford ,in a road called the Butts.It was a nice road,but compared to "Beckenham Palace" where golden balls lived, it wasn't much different to us.Gerry Armstrong actually lived on our estate when he signed for us,and stayed there for a good few years. He shopped locally as well,as did Pat Jennings.You would bump into Spurs players all the time in Hoddesdon(town where i lived) from the early 70s until the late 80s. It changed when they training ground moved from Cheshunt.

Last edited:
I lived in east Herts in from the early 70s, we moved out there when i was 4.Most of the players lived a mile and half away from me in Turnford ,in a road called the Butts.It was a nice road,but compared to "Beckenham Palace" where golden balls lived, it wasn't much different to us.Gerry Armstrong actually lived on our estate when he signed for us,and stayed there for a good few years. He shopped locally as well,as did Pat Jennings.You would bump into Spurs players all the time in Hoddesdon(town where i lived) from the early 70s until the late 80s. It changed when they training ground moved from Cheshunt.
Was a disgraceful decision to sell Cheshunt. We used to go there in the summer regularly and remember walking down that lane (brookfield?) and just going straight in. Billy Nick always had time to speak to us as did most of them. Martin Chivers could be a bit rude sometimes but in the main they were great. I saw some games there too, one v Northampton town which was supposed to be behind closed doors and Hoddle scored a blinder. We were sat in that little stand they had. You'd have to be scanned by a robocop to see them train now!

I don't think that team ever got the credit they deserved for winning the FA cup that year,when you think what was going on in the background.Must have affected the players to some degree.

Gazza dragging us to that final, only for him to implode the way that he did. It’s worth reading ‘Gazza in Italy’ by Daniel Storey for insight into Gaza’s move and what was going on at Spurs during that 90-91.

Was a disgraceful decision to sell Cheshunt. We used to go there in the summer regularly and remember walking down that lane (brookfield?) and just going straight in. Billy Nick always had time to speak to us as did most of them. Martin Chivers could be a bit rude sometimes but in the main they were great. I saw some games there too, one v Northampton town which was supposed to be behind closed doors and Hoddle scored a blinder. We were say in that little stand they had. You'd have to be scanned by a robocop to see them train now!
I spent many days over there during the school holidays.Thats where i got most of my autographs as a kid.Went to the open days there a well, great days Yep, Brookfield Lane,and yes, you could just walk in(as it should be, to a point) Very few kids get to see the players train these days.Never met Chivers, but most of the ones i met were really friendly.Mark Kendall was a scream(twice i've mentioned him today)Jimmy Holmes was a top bloke,as was Terry Naylor and Don McAllister. Neil McNab was quite scary,as i recall( i was young),though an ok bloke.I was there when him and Perryman came to blows.Superb memories which young fans these days don't have a chance to experience similar.

Agreed. There is a bit in TBWAH where the team coach pulls into a service station at the same same time as some of KR's lot after an away game and Alfie Conn asks 'did you do them?'

file.php

No wonder the game's ruined, with wealthy middle class people taking over.
Luncheon Vouchers indeed? It will be Private Boxes next.You mark my words.
For shame, sir, for shame!

in the 70's you could wait outside that car park and see the players getting in their jam jars. If it was a shit game, wolves, burnley etc the old boy on the gate would sometimes let you in. I chatted to Jimmy Neighbour (rip) Willie Young, Meat Hook, John Pratt and Keith Osgood amongst others in there. There was a bar behind the red house that they used too and once when i did a combination game (reserves to you youngsters) midweek we sneaked in there and i had a pint with Mark Falco before we were sussed and we were ejected. Happy days.
My first meeting with Mr P was at the car park exit at the back. I got his autograph, I've still got that scrap of paper and I kept the pen he used for years. Probably around 1971.

I didn't know about that bar? Was it a proper pub like effort?
Hopefully some old photos exist of that.

Combination games were free weren't they?
May mate often tells a tale of him and a few of his mates having a mud fight with Mark Kendall during a combination game.
I have a vague memory of entrance being by buying a programme, ie a single sheet of paper with the teams on it, at a nominal cost of something like 5 or 10p.

Back
Top Bottom