January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Honestly people post in this thread and have zero understanding of where we are at, what we need and how it would bolster us in the short or even long term.

Just trotting out names for the sake of it is sheer fcuking stupidity.

Honestly people post in this thread and have zero understanding of where we are at, what we need and how it would bolster us in the short or even long term.

Just trotting out names for the sake of it is sheer fcuking stupidity.

And thats why I questioned people over the clamoring for certain players just 16 weeks ago and now it’s an entirely new wishlist.

Fair play to those that answered but I don’t buy that “NDombele is too expensive now”.
I thought people wanted us to spend big, and not get in players for 15M. Remember?
Or are the same people who demanded Levy back Poch at whatever price and give him his targets now saying that he is right to balance the books first and get the cheaper option?

No one wants, Zaha, no one wants Martial, no one Sessegnon anymore. No one still think Barkley could do a job for us?
Why?

Could it be that they’ve all been a pile of wank by n large and we’re lucky we didn’t fork out 200M for the lot....

:kanehand:

Last edited:
And thats why I questioned people over the clamoring for certain players just 16 weeks ago and now it’s an entirely new wishlist.

Fair play to those that answered but I don’t buy that “NDombele is too expensive now”.
I thought people wanted us to spend big, and not get in players for 15M. Remember?

No one wants, Zaha, no one wants Martial, no one Sessegnon anymore. No one still think Barkley could do a job for us?
Why?

Could it be that they’ve all been a pile of wank by n large and we’re lucky we didn’t fork out 200M for the lot....

Yeah maybe but then you or more specifically they need to think what could those players add in our shirt and under Pochettino.

I see Sessegnon as adding quality where Rose and Davies to me have been decent but not brilliant. Downside is Sessegnon does not look great or play defensively but he's very young. In a back 3 he would be excellent and also add variety, pace and accuracy of delivery.

Grealish is good and better than I thought. Again would he go to greater heights in our squad? I think here Pochettino may view him signing a new Villa contract as weakness. Sessegnon is yet to commit to a new Fulham contract.

Of Barkley I praise his return to fitness but he lacks consistency and where woukd he play for us? Eriksen's role but nowhere as good. Potential still there but I think he will eventually level out a mid-table club.

Others that are talked about are mostly unknown to me so I offer nothing but do know that a striker with pace and strength, and of course an eye for goal would absolutely make us stronger. No doubt at all.

A player with savage intent in the way Wanyama was in his first sesson with us would also give us something we possibly lack right now.

It really is such fine margins and so in my view we need players but the right players. A club our size and doing as well as we have been can be choosy but we must also show we recognise there is a need.

It is not always apparent that is the case.

Why?

I’d take any of them... for the right price.

Besides that, it’s only natural to enjoy gossip and speculation about the future.

Wouldn’t people look really stupid if they didn’t change their opinions of players based on performances during the 1st half of the season? It seems pretty reasonable to change your opinions over time as facts change, to me at least.

I definitely think we dropped points due to an injury crisis in CM. Who knows if new signings would have helped enough to change that, but you can’t say it wouldn’t have been a positive, proactive idea to try out.

I think people just want to see the club trying to do the right thing to improve. Sometimes tinkering and toying is the right thing to do; other times, doing nothing is.

Yeah maybe but then you or more specifically they need to think what could those players add in our shirt and under Pochettino.

I see Sessegnon as adding quality where Rose and Davies to me have been decent but not brilliant. Downside is Sessegnon does not look great or play defensively but he's very young. In a back 3 he would be excellent and also add variety, pace and accuracy of delivery.

Grealish is good and better than I thought. Again would he go to greater heights in our squad? I think here Pochettino may view him signing a new Villa contract as weakness. Sessegnon is yet to commit to a new Fulham contract.

Of Barkley I praise his return to fitness but he lacks consistency and where woukd he play for us? Eriksen's role but nowhere as good. Potential still there but I think he will eventually level out a mid-table club.

Others that are talked about are mostly unknown to me so I offer nothing but do know that a striker with pace and strength, and of course an eye for goal would absolutely make us stronger. No doubt at all.

A player with savage intent in the way Wanyama was in his first sesson with us would also give us something we possibly lack right now.

It really is such fine margins and so in my view we need players but the right players. A club our size and doing as well as we have been can be choosy but we must also show we recognise there is a need.

It is not always apparent that is the case.

Simple fact is that there aren’t many players that would walk into our first team and make us better that we can first afford, or secondly wouldn’t rather go straight to a team that has won shit loads.

All of our signings are gambles.

Just that people pick and choose who is “must” and who is shit by looking at some sqwaka graph, and then think that’s enough evidence to slate the chairman and scouting team.

All the while forgetting that Poch is the manager and any players signed he has agreed to.

Simple fact is that there aren’t many players that would walk into our first team and make us better that we can first afford, or secondly wouldn’t rather go straight to a team that has won shit loads.
That is not a fact - merely your opinion

I’d take any of them... for the right price.

Besides that, it’s only natural to enjoy gossip and speculation about the future.

Wouldn’t people look really stupid if they didn’t change their opinions of players based on performances during the 1st half of the season? It seems pretty reasonable to change your opinions over time as facts change, to me at least.

I definitely think we dropped points due to an injury crisis in CM. Who knows if new signings would have helped enough to change that, but you can’t say it wouldn’t have been a positive, proactive idea to try out.

I think people just want to see the club trying to do the right thing to improve. Sometimes tinkering and toying is the right thing to do; other times, doing nothing is.

But surely you look more stupid if you wrote the season off, called Levy a cunt for two months, and called us a joke club for not spending 70M on someone who’s done fuck all and four months later you don’t even want him here.

As for dropped points, 6pts off top in January and above City isn’t too shabby.
As you said we had an injury crisis.

Nobody knew that Wanyama, Dier and Dembele would all be out injured at the same time. They were deemed not good enough so a bit false to imply that we needed CM options to cover injuries.

You could say we’ve gained points due to Sissokos form. A player all these people wanted to “never see wear our shirt again.”

On Martial I really wouldn't.

I just do not believe he offers more or even as much as Son and even Moura, although that is more arguable.

Crucially I do not see in him the player that makes the key difference and surely at this point that is what we need?

I say Sessegnon because I see real parallels with Bale and just a good player getting very much better.

Back
Top Bottom