Tottenham v Burnley(Wembley). 15th 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking just needed to win this game- we did, job done. On to those bigger gooner wankers on Wednesday. If we manage to beat those cunts it will be historic.

Haha as one of ours once famously said, It's a funny old game.
If we had won 1-0 with a goal after 11 mins everyone would have been a bit meh.
But when we win 1-0 with a goal in stoppage time it's smiles all round.

And why fucking not :eriksenlol::pochlol::levylol::sonlol::vert:

I've had time to reflect and have changed my opinion somewhat. I had a full time rant prepared in my mind about Burnley and negative time wasting tactics, 10 men behind the ball etc if they had have held on for a point. In reality what were they supposed to do? I really love our attacking play but a strong park the bus tactic is one we would do well to learn and learn well especially for big European away games coming up.

If Tottenham ever result to that approach to a football match then we don’t deserve big European away games. Even when were were shit ( and we were shit many times ) I never saw a Tottenham side behave and set up like that disgrace Burnley. Arguably the famous “park the bus game” was the one game where maybe we surrendered our history the most, but even in that at least we did have a counter attacking ethos. Burnley did not even have that today. The only pressure on us came from a defensive mistake.

Last edited:
But what about the fans that spent a couple of hundred quid and travelled for miles to watch them, Don’t they deserve better?.

Well I don’t really follow Burnley or care about their supporters tbh. So maybe not the best person to ask!! :)

Better to have a go and lose 4-0 or try and hold out for 0-0 and maybe a point towards prem football next season??
Dyche is looking out for his job and looking at their results in 25% of their games they have conceded 4 or more before today.

So I really don’t know what their fans would have made of today!! Better than losing 4-0 or 5-0??

Guess it depends on their expectations when they come to us?

If Tottenham ever result to that approach to a football match then we don’t deserve big European away games. Even when were were shit ( and we were shit many times ) I never saw a Tottenham side behave and set up like that disgrace Burnley. Arguably the famous “park the bus game” was the one game where maybe we surrendered our history the most, but even in that at least we did have a counter attacking ethos. Burnley did not even have that today. The only pressure on us came from a defensive mistake.
Agreed, if we played like that full time we would be nowhere. I should have added with an counter attacking element. There will be games ahead where we will need to soak it up though and as today proved it's a very stubborn tactic.

I dont buy the justification for playing as Burnley did. Watford are about the same level, but they had shots on goal against us and got three points off us. Draws get you nowhere anyway. 38 draws may not even keep you up. Statistically it's worth risking losses in order to gain wins, whether near the top or bottom of the table. Doesn't mean throwing caution to the wind but some marginal attempt to win at least.

Last edited:
I've had time to reflect and have changed my opinion somewhat. I had a full time rant prepared in my mind about Burnley and negative time wasting tactics, 10 men behind the ball etc if they had have held on for a point. In reality what were they supposed to do? I really love our attacking play but a strong park the bus tactic is one we would do well to learn and learn well especially for big European away games coming up. Burnley nearly got a point from the game they were massive underdogs for today. With a far inferior team they did what they thought gave them the best chance of a result. Had they decided to go for it we would have ripped them to shreds.

It was annoying and painful to watch though I just hope they can do it again against all our rivals (with a better result for them of course).

Much prefer Southampton's approach recently. Whilst they lost, they were unlucky and really had a go. Had we scored early Burnley would have been stuffed

Much prefer Southampton's approach recently. Whilst they lost, they were unlucky and really had a go. Had we scored early Burnley would have been stuffed
But could you imagine if Burnley had scored first oh ffs! and they say the EPL is the best league in Europe watching us huff and puff and them kicking everything into row Z.

A win is a win. I'll happily take that today and move on. Its nice to see us tough it out and keep going until the final whistle.

Only seen the goal, but it was certainly quite composed and well taken (bit of desperation in Trippier’s upfield punt, but logical with Llorente up there).

For me it’s more than just the three points. Injury time goals like that instil a sense of determination and belief in the team when they find themselves in similar situations. Plus it would have really pissed off our rivals.

Sounds like a hard slog of a game to watch, but last ditch winners are always an amazing feeling. I was following the game in this thread, and once it became apparent that Eriksen had scored I had a big smile on my face.

Agreed, if we played like that full time we would be nowhere. I should have added with an counter attacking element. There will be games ahead where we will need to soak it up though and as today proved it's a very stubborn tactic.

I completely appreciate where you are coming from. I think setting up as we did very AC Milan for example, when Crouch scored the winner, is absolutely fine and right.

That approach is tactics. What Burnley did today was also tactics, but they were the tactics of a small time mentality, a “no way we can win this” approach. So sad in a sport to see a collective defeat before kick off

I know people don’t like negative play but from a coaching point of view if you know you can’t compete then sometimes that point is all you can play and set up for.

Every chance GD will play a part in their final part of the season.
So I understand why they chose this option. See it as a real honour teams feel that way about us now.

So glad we nicked a goal though.

Probably not be as generous with praise if we only got a point!!
Bournemouth and Brighton. There is no excuse for Burnley other than their neanderthal manager/tactics. They have been in the league for 3 straight years AND have parachute payment from their stint when Tripps was there and they went down. They can afford to have purchased better players. I wish they had stayed in Europa and it ruined any further semblance of league form leading to relegation.

It's the same argument for Manchester United. Mourinho has no excuse for that pitiful excuse for football he puts out every week and their fans know it. He has just as much if not more money than other teams in the top 6, as Burnley do relative to BHA and Bournemouth, yet they play League 1 football. It's the manager not circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom