January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Homegrown should be our focus. Of course I would like NDombele, Rabiot and Isco, but we can't. I'd be happy with Grealish, Wilson and Cook.

I think Rabiot would be an amazing signing but I'm happy to go with young British players in every other position. They will have an extra hunger that people like Isco just won't have.

FYI - Jack Grealish has been moved forward to AM to accommodate McGinn.

He's played at CM once this season.

If you're expecting him to come in and do a job there right away, I'd suggest that would be too tall a task.

But would Toby be interested in joining such a team in January? I think he will wait until the summer and take his time to think about multiple options.

Yeah, it'd all be down to Toby.

He's already rejected an offer of something like 150k a week at Spurs so unless the lesser team (By that, I dont mean lesser than us, I mean lesser than United, Barca, Madrid in terms of size) offers him ridiculous wages in January, he'll stay until the summer.

That's fair enough, it's a joke that he's been on 50k a week for the last 4 years. If he moves on in the summer for one last payday, nobody can blame him.

The offer has been on the table for 2 years or so to sign a new contract at between 2 and 3 times his current wages, but his agent (father) told him that many other teams would better that.

Problem last summer that only ManU (or Mourinho specifically) were interested and weren't thinking of much different to the Spurs wages offer.

So whether he'll get bigger offers might be a gamble - and at £100k pw, he might well already be trying to make up £10m in wages he could have got with a new Spurs contract....which could be tough to make up in a new contract wherever he goes

I think Rabiot would be an amazing signing but I'm happy to go with young British players in every other position. They will have an extra hunger that people like Isco just won't have.

Poch should be a reason for young/homegrown players to join Spurs. Just look at Kane, Dier, Dele, Winks, Davies, Son.

I'm still a little mystified why lots of people think getting 4 players off the payroll in January will be that easy.

N'Koudou flopped a loan at Burnley last season and was available for sale or transfer all last summer, but not too many rumours. If he'd wanted to move to play (as most players do) a way would have been found as Spurs clearly aren't going to play him with the AM's we already have. So likely its his wages/payoff which are the issue for both buying and selling clubs.

Jansen has had a couple of injuries and hasn't played since the end of last season, which isn't the best info to have on your cv for a move in January.

Initially Vorm was off last summer but then had a one year extension in the summer which expires in the summer, and with Gazanigga showing he can hack it, he would be available in January (would Poch be happy with a Spurs youngster as 3trd choice GK ?) . However my guess is none of his preferred clubs were that interested last summer which is why he reversed his decision and stayed last summer. So will both Vorm and Spurs be lucky in January ?

To get 4 out of the door without either 2 or 3 of the above going will be very challenging.

After that its a question of whether Poch wants to sell the injury prone Dembele and Wanyama, and he might provided he can get a decent replacement in....which comes back to whether he has a large choice through being able to recruit overseas trained players or a smaller choice if there are only available places in the squad for homegrown players.

Toby is a different scenario to Dembele in that a team may pay extra for him in January to get a step ahead of the competition. If he stays with us to the summer, everyone can dive in with a £25million bid and then certain teams could gain the advantage with their wage structure over others. If a team is desperate for a defender and doesn't want to wait or get involved in a dick swinging contest, there is a chance we could get more than £25m for toby.
Manure paid 30 odd million for Sanchez when they could of got him for free in the summer...if anyone will do it....

Manure paid 30 odd million for Sanchez when they could of got him for free in the summer...if anyone will do it....

Chelsea also spent £15,000,000 on Barkley when they could have signed him on a free too. Man City spent £20,000,000 on de Jong when they could have signed him on a free.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that people will offer big money for Alderweireld in January to try and get one up on other teams in the summer. I just don't think it's likely.

I would that man u are desperate. So whilst I agree it's unlikely, it wouldn't surprise me.

Good point.

Do you think we would accept a high bid off United in January though? and strengthen them for the second half of the season where they could POTENTIALLY then overtake us?

I can't see it. I'd only see us selling Toby in January to a team oversees.

Good point.

Do you think we would accept a high bid off United in January though? and strengthen them for the second half of the season where they could POTENTIALLY then overtake us?

I can't see it. I'd only see us selling Toby in January to a team oversees.

We will sell him.

Would be mental to let him go on a free but that's likely going to be what he chooses to do. Has played a blinder in that regard although his greed seems evident.

You have to wonder why Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern have not come in for him though. Strange.

We just have to prepare for his departure and Sunday was hardly a welcome invite but it was also a one-off.......

I hope!!!

We will sell him.

Would be mental to let him go on a free but that's likely going to be what he chooses to do. Has played a blinder in that regard although his greed seems evident.

You have to wonder why Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern have not come in for him though. Strange.

We just have to prepare for his departure and Sunday was hardly a welcome invite but it was also a one-off.

He isn't going to go on a free. His contract doesn't run out until 2020.

I beg your pardon dear sir.

In that case he is toast in the summer unless we come to a point where both parties meet.

Eriksen staying on is even more important.

He's 100% going in the summer. Where his £25,000,000 clause comes into play.

What we're all talking about is that there's no reason why a lesser team (Not lesser than us but smaller than United, Barca, Madrid) make an offer in January that's more than £25,000,000 as a way to get in there before the big clubs all come in summer.

Even then, the bigger clubs may try and tempt him in January to try and get one up on the others. United for example, who are desperate, especially defensively.

Has anyone said they're expecting to sell 4 players in January?

Lots of posters suggesting at least one overseas trained player joining.....and not considering how likely it is that we can offload 4 or more that we already have.

Better to understand that now and set people's aspirations accordingly.

Lots of posters suggesting at least one overseas trained player joining.....and not considering how likely it is that we can offload 4 or more that we already have.

Better to understand that now and set people's aspirations accordingly.

Have they?

Overseas players mentioned on the last 4 pages.

Rabiot
This would end up being in the summer anyway. If we make any sort of contact in January, it'd be on a pre-contract basis meaning he joins us in the summer.

Haidara
I mentioned this one and said if we do sign him in January, it'd make sense to loan him back until the summer due to his age and experience, allow him to then get a full pre-season under us after winning honours with Salzburg and like you say, the registration process in January.

Wolf
This guy is about 19 years old. Even if we DID sign him in January, I am sure he'd understand if he didn't get any game time or registered. Though I imagine if we did make such a signing, he'd be loaned back to his club (Also Salzburg) until the summer after they've won honours.

Gomes
This was probably mentioned with next summer in mind anyway as he is on a season long loan to Everton.

Militao
I don't think was a serious post in terms of who we should sign in January, more just a Portuguese poster admiring a centre back who we could do with signing if we do indeed move on Alderweireld or need to replace Vertonghen.

That's about it - I did mention Diawara as an alternative signing to NDombele next summer. All the other players mentioned were English (Grealish, Chalobah, Cook and Lookman)

We aren't going to sign any overseas players. We are all aware of this and if we do, it's likely they'll be signed with summer in mind anyway so a loan back would make logical sense. If not, hopefully some kind of agreement to allow the official signing to happen in the summer (Keita to Liverpool for example)

Back
Top Bottom