Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur 2/12/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've never bought into this inherent Racism dogma. When i was a child in the east end, coming from Irish stock my family were a natural target for bigots This was on a daily, sometimes hourly basis.
The natural level of this was that for every knuckle dragging Englishman, the were scores of others who treated us the same as everyone else.
My dad was universally known as 'Mick,' to his workmates just as a Scot would be 'Jock' etc. There was no, and still isn't, any derogatory meaning to the name.Ignorance like this will never respond to logic as it is impossible to reason a man out of a position that he hasn't reasoned himself into in the first place.
Know these people for what they are. I have always used the experience to reaffirm how far I have evolved, but then again I was brought up right.
I do draw the line however, at explaining what love is to a bloody foreigner.
:dierno:
I want you to show me.
:sonpoint:

I blame the kid who brought in a banana...
#whyskidsdothis ??

Nice to see that Abamuyang has become judge and jury on this, and made sure that Twatter decides his fate!

I blame the kid who brought in a banana...
#whyskidsdothis ??

Nice to see that Abamuyang has become judge and jury on this, and made sure that Twatter decides his fate!
Ironically if what was thrown was a coin or something that could damage the headline “Tottenham fans throw missile” and it would have been done and dusted by Monday night!

Without going over old ground as well, I've explained why I disagree with this, I've seen or heard nothing since that would change my mind.

In fact the answers that the fella gives such as 'I'm a Greek Cypriot ' and 'I have been friends with black people all my life' make me even more suspicious.

Especially as no ‘Greek ‘ Cypriot would describe himself as such

He would call himself a Cypriot

There is a whole industry grown up around perceived 'isms.' The difference is that we celebrated what united us, this generation seem determined to use it to divide us.
To me, It does feel like there are a lot of people who would rather this turned out to be racist rather than not. They would be a lot happier if it was racist so they can go around preaching & feeling better about themselves. Which is very sad to see.

Re Bananagate. A view from RAWK.

“To be fair to Spurs, they really aren't that kind of fanbase - they have one of the most ethnically diverse sets of match going supporters in the country and are themselves victims to antisemetic racial abuse far too often, so I hope they root out this crap and make a proper stand against it. Worrying if this is a sign that the increasing racial abuse that has reared its ugly head in Britain post-Brexit is creeping back into football.”

Amazed that came from RAWK

Ok, first incident in 7 years.

Point remains.
personally I thought and hoped it was not racist based on the fact it was a Banana skin, I have only every heard of/ seen bananas being thrown a banana skin has no precedence that I know of (and racists don't tend to think outside the box).

It was stupid and the dickhead should have known better, the optics are terrible but I think his explanation is more likely than the alternative.

It doesnt mean they got it wrong, it means they made a decision based on the evidence presented. If you have doubts, you cant convict.
I wasnt on the jury....from the small article in the Manchester Evening News, I find it odd that people would make up the racist comments he was supposed to be shouting.

But I wasnt on the Jury. I dont know what evidence came forward in light of that.
I have already said I could be wrong and he could be innocent. I make a judgement on what is presented, but dont use a blanket rule that anyone and everyone accused of racism is guilty.

The gloating was the reason people got angry enough to throw things. It doesnt excuse throwing anything, but it is still the reason. Had they celebrated with their own fans, it wouldnt have happened.
It was also not the case that the guy specifically picked a banana to make a statement. As opposed to hissing gas chamber noises. The banana was just there, and it if was a can of coke, he would have thrown that too.

Your view doesnt have to tally with the police. But its weird that it tallied just fine with the Alves incident, to the point where you used the police decision as some kind of proof of guilt.

You are looking for consistency in how I judge situations. There is a reason you have failed to see any, because every situation you have presented has been different, so Ive judged them differently. Ive judged them by their own specific account.

I dont judge the guy who threw the banana skin on the Alves incident. And I dont judge the Alves incident on 300 Chelsea fans imitating the gas chamber.

In a murder trial, does the prosecution bring ten irrelevant murder cases to the table to show that this guy must have done this one?
But you have failed to give this guy the benefit of the doubt despite having less evidence than the jury.
You mentioned earlier about facts and false allegations of racism but here you are making the judgement that the person is guilty without the full facts. You have done exactly the same thing that you have accused others of doing.

You can't possibly know that the reaction of the fans would have been different if the players had celebrated differently. How could you know? The fact that they scored a goal is enough to make people angry.

I think I used the police as proof of guilt with the incident on saturday not with the Alves incident. He's definitely being charged with throwing an object on to the pitch but as managed to convince the police it wasn't racial. No evidence has come out that this guy definitely did not have any racist thoughts in the moment that he threw the banana.

This is not a murder trial, it's an internet forum, there is more freedom here to back up an argument.

From the interview he doesnt name any players, and the account from the guy that claimed to know him said it was at Bellerin

“I apologise if I have offended anyone from both clubs, especially Tottenham. It was a mad thing I did and I never meant to offend anyone in any way. I have been charged with throwing an object. I am not charged with anything racist. The police were happy to accept it was not racist. I have made a big mistake and I am sincerely sorry for it.

“Without thinking, I picked up this banana skin and threw it on the edge of the pitch. I didn’t throw it at the players. It was just on the edge of the pitch. It is totally out of character. I didn’t think of the racist connotations.”
Just because the guy is saying this, doesn't mean people have to believe it.
Right there that bit in bold is lie for a start. He DID mean to offend in some way otherwise he wouldn't have thrown it.

True, but that doesn't mean that this individual person was doing it for a racist reason. There's no way we can know that without getting into his head. Maybe not without entering into his unconscious, even. There is no other evidence, that we know of, of him being racist. So you either take his word for it, or you don't.

IMO the fairer course of action, which reflects a more positive view of human beings, is to take his word for it, given what we know. I would hope that if I ever made a stupid mistake, other Spurs supporters would adopt that attitude towards me.
Why should they if they don't know who you are personally? It's not reflecting a positive view of human beings imo to just give someone the benefit of the doubt because they support the same football club.

This is my first post about the banana incident. I haven't gone back and read any of the other comments about this incident because obviously you're all a bunch of pricks :crouch:

Just wanted to say that a) judging by the photos of this bloke he looks well old enough to know what the connotations of throwing a banana skin on a pitch are, and b) who the fuck takes a banana to a football match :saha:

That is all.
I do and believe it or not, for the sole intention of eating it (not many healthy snacks at football grounds!). Not sure I will in future though.
Still think the guy was an idiot though, and should have realised the impact it would have made.
Horrible end to a horrendous day.

Back
Top Bottom