January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah. We need to sell 4 non-HG players to be able to register one, I believe.

If we sign anyone in January, it'll be someone we can loan straight back out until the end of the season, in my opinion. So whether that's a young foreign player in Haidara or a young English player in Bayliss, Maja etc.

If we sign anyone in January, it'll be someone we can loan straight back out until the end of the season, in my opinion. So whether that's a young foreign player in Haidara or a young English player in Bayliss, Maja etc.

We can register them, but it means someone else has to be unregistered and sit around doing nothing with Janssen and N'Koudou.

Levy just isn't going to allow money to be wasted like that.

-young eng/HG GK to replace vorm; loan back til summer
-young eng/HG CB to replace foyth, who replaces toby; loan back til summer (seems like CCV may not make it- loan apparently going ok but not great)

that frees 2 spots right there.

why can't we just not register said non-HG players though?
we have to sell before we can register?

Vorm, Wanyama, Davies, Dembele, N'koudou, Sissoko, Janssen, Llorente.

At least half of these need to be let go by January to have any chance of improving the squad next summer.

Davies and Sissoko are good/useful squad players and will be kept.
Vorm, Dembele, and Llorente's contracts will simply expire at the end of the season.
Janssen will be sold for a cut rate price this summer when he'll have a year left on his deal.
Wanyama and N'koudou's contracts run out in summer '21. We'll either sell them or lend them out.

Anyways, 3 will be expiring off our books with no effort at all, and 2 more with no need to move them on. 2 more are already more or less non-players for us. That just leaves Vic, and our only real need this winter (and one we already knew about): buy another CM good enough to join our squad rotation. I expect the club has the finances to rehab wanyama AND buy/pay for a new rotation-worthy CM until Vic can be loaned at cost or offloaded.

TLDR: we don't need to sell anyone. we only need to buy 1 rotation-worthy cm, and even then, we could probably skate by with just promoting skipp.

Davies and Sissoko are good/useful squad players and will be kept.
Vorm, Dembele, and Llorente's contracts will simply expire at the end of the season.
Janssen will be sold for a cut rate price this summer when he'll have a year left on his deal.
Wanyama and N'koudou's contracts run out in summer '21. We'll either sell them or lend them out.

Anyways, 3 will be expiring off our books with no effort at all, and 2 more with no need to move them on. 2 more are already more or less non-players for us. That just leaves Vic, and our only real need this winter (and one we already knew about): buy another CM good enough to join our squad rotation.

TLDR: we don't need to "sell" anyone. we only need to buy 1 cm, and even then, we could probably skate by with just promoting skipp.
With Dembele and possibly Wanyama leaving that leaves us with only 3 options in central midfield positions namely Dier, Winks and Sissoko.

Those 3 are squad players level at best. None of them is good enough to be a first choice CM at CL level club.

Signing 2 quality CMs should be a priority next summer.

With Dembele and possibly Wanyama leaving that leaves us with only 3 options in central midfield positions namely Dier, Winks and Sissoko.

Those 3 are squad players level at best. None of them is good enough to be a first choice CM at CL level club.

Signing 2 quality CMs should be a priority next summer.

Definitely need replace Dembele when he leaves, but we don't have to do it until summer.
We'd be wise to pick up 2 cms in winter if possible though as you say. One for immediate and one perhaps on a loan back til summer (or one on a free).

168fBfZ.png

We should have been all over Andre Gomes in the summer. Shown today he composed he is.

People branded him poor because he didn’t cut it at Barca, but that doesn’t make you a failure.

Vorm, Wanyama, Davies, Dembele, N'koudou, Sissoko, Janssen, Llorente.

At least half of these need to be let go by January to have any chance of improving the squad next summer.
Just fantasies at this point though since we've been trying to sell Nkoudou and Janssen for ages but literally no one will take them.

We desperately need a vocal, dominant leader at the back, we've lacked that for some time.

And I'd love a dominant DM, but would happily take a wee shit that just disrupts the opposition.

Janssen, Llorente, N'Koudou and Wanyama out.

Callum Wilson and Grealish in.

I wouldnt be against getting a move set up for Andre Gomes, he's built for this league and is a step above everyone at Everton.

Watching Andre Gomes playing for Everton yesterday and he was fantastic. Would be great for us (assuming we bring in a real DM destroyer too) very composed on the ball, great technique, eye for a pass etc.

He’s on loan from Barca so I would could we do a sneaky Toby like deal and just outbid Everton?

Back
Top Bottom