Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm a Trippier fan, hard not to like the guy - he's pulled himself up from £3.5m Burnely to full England Int and free kick taker, scoring in a WC semi no less. But if we're not going to play 3/5 much these days, then I can't see that he's good enough in a back 4 for all the reasons above - too small for the lob, too slow in 1-1. Great at forward passing, but we're too vulnerable. I'll check later for how many goals we've conceded this season compared to last, and also I'll try to work out how many down the right.

I don't like selling bods who have improved so much, but if we're going to play him out of his best position, then I'd prefer to cash in.

I think he’s also not so bad in a 433, which also provides (or should) better lateral cover.

We played a 4231 Saturday (once Dembele went off), with a young Cm who’s not great defensively and an AM who’s not great period. And still asked our FB to contribute to the attack. It’s not rocket science to figure that’s not tactically the best set up.

Trippier has definitely become the new “Jenas”.

Foyth gave away two really stupid and needless penalties and Alderweireld’s ball watching for their disallowed goal was worse defending than anything Trippier did. But they seem to getting off very lightly.

Imagine if KWP or one of the academy kids gave away two stupid pens in one game? It would be “clearly nowhere near ready” or “can’t be trusted” etc.

Trippier fucked up trying to trick his way out of a corner, it was stupid - but their guy was no threat, he was turning away - and whatever others do that doesn’t absolve Foyth from defending like a schoolboy.

I think he’s also not so bad in a 433, which also provides (or should) better lateral cover.

We played a 4231 Saturday (once Dembele went off), with a young Cm who’s not great defensively and an AM who’s not great period. And still asked our FB to contribute to the attack. It’s not rocket science to figure that’s not tactically the best set up.
who's the AM ? Lamela ?

Trippier is a great passer of the ball from wide. But he lacks the recovery pace and ability to read situations to function as a fullback for Pochettino. In a 343 or 352 when we have an extra centreback and his defensive side is less important, this isn't a problem, but lately, when we're playing 4231 or 433, he's an easy target to get behind.

Do you think we didn't ask him to defend?

Argue all you want about Foyth making rash challenges leading to the penalties
Maybe he did but he’s inexperienced and played well up to that point
I didn’t think the second one was a penalty

But on Saturday the pair of our FBs were shocking other than Tripps cross leading to Lucas goal

Definitely our weak links and I dread Zaha and Andros running at them next Saturday

Tripps needs to show a little more bravery in aerial challenges. The missed clearance against Sterling was his if he wanted it. Instead he cowered a bit and took it on top-middle of his head rather than attacking it with the top-front portion.

He also needs to show a bit more maturity and awareness of his defensive capabilities. Maybe needs to sit back a bit deeper and focus on being ready to move with his mark and/or move with nearby runners.

He’s been poor defensively lately but can get back to good form with a little work and concentration. He’ll never be great in the air but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good fullback.

Just a small point on Tripps, I saw on the match thread some people having a pop at him 'cos of the foul he gave away near the end.
Maybe it was just tension and nerves from those people, but the foul happened because there was a total fuck up between Sanchez and Toby with neither one of them going to head the ball and allowing it to bounce.

Last edited:
Neither Trippier nor Serge are really good enough, in my reckonings.
I slightly prefer Aurier, as he is liable to do something shocking, could be tragically bad or sublimely good, you never know...
Trippier just looks like someone who would torment you for a chip outside a pub at 3am..

Back
Top Bottom