Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surely proper first team contracts this time around

A 3 year contract is definitely a first team type contract - most of the youngsters at Skipp's age would be given a one year pro contract.

Lets see how the integration into the first team works (whether by loans out or first team minutes or a combination of both) though - Skipp (despite his age) has already played a full season of u23 football and almost without exception was one of the standouts in the games, whilst Amos had a very successful loan last season in the lower leagues. So different levels to move from to get first team minutes but that should be the objective of a contract that ties the youngsters to the club for 3 years

DpS9Cn3U8AAYb9-.jpg

Got a nice write-up in the Daily Mail today.

Oliver Skipp has been catapulted on to the Tottenham bench by their injury crisis... but he will soon be banging on the first-team door in his own right
  • Oliver Skipp displays all-round attributes and shows maturity beyond his years
  • In a recent tie, he put three heavy but fair tackles in during the first 10 minutes
  • Confident in confrontation, he also showed maturity when using the ball
By THE SECRET SCOUT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

Our scout is a top football expert who attends matches each week searching for the next star.

He'll bring you his verdict in Sportsmail.

This week he has been keeping a close eye on Tottenham starlet Oliver Skipp. Here's what he thought.

4981760-6266415-image-a-14_1539335199698.jpg

+5
Oliver Skipp has been named the PL2 Player of the Month for September 2018

WHAT HAS HE GOT?
Recently turned 18, this promising player has been catapulted on to the Tottenham bench somewhat by default as Mauricio Pochettino deals with major injury problems.

But it will not be long before Skipp, born in Welwyn Garden City, is banging on the first-team door in his own right and challenging the established internationals at the club.

As a central midfielder with all-round attributes, he shows maturity beyond his years. He has an unorthodox and unattractive gait - with bandy legs - but this disguises good balance when tackling and challenging for the ball.

4965290-6266415-image-a-1_1539281089232.jpg

+5
Skipp of Tottenham in action during the UEFA Youth League match against Inter Milan

OLIVER SKIPP FACTS

Club: Tottenham Hotspur

Position: Centre midfield

Value: £2m

In a recent academy game I saw, he got tight to the opposition's quality midfielder and gave him three powerful but fair challenges in the first 10 minutes.

Confident in confrontation, he also showed maturity when using the ball. Playing from deep but driving upfield in possession, he has the vision to quickly see the forward pass.

As he went from a defensive area towards the opposition box, he twice played exquisite reverse passes with a canny touch and he also knows the value of playing the ball 'round the corner' one-touch when it arrives square to him.

When an opponent got tight, this pass - delivered first time - put his marker out of the game and gave Skipp the opportunity to run past him and take the return.

4965308-6266415-The_18_year_old_appears_to_show_Eric_Dier_a_clean_set_of_heels_d-a-28_1539290304370.jpg

+5
The 18-year-old appears to show Eric Dier a clean set of heels during a recent training session

4965282-6266415-Skipp_s_No_52_shirt_is_placed_in_the_Wembley_changing_rooms_foll-a-29_1539290304372.jpg

+5
Skipp's No 52 shirt is placed in the Wembley changing rooms following his call up to the squad

WHAT DOES HE NEED?
He must answer a couple of questions. Will he score goals? Strikes from central midfield are valuable. And will he have the mentality to maximise the big opportunity when it comes? Pertinently, when might that opportunity come? That is a problem for many young English players.

But there is no doubt that Skipp looks like a leader, cajoling and encouraging his team's forward players to press as a unit as he backed them up from centre field.

He is not selfish and looks to have enough sharpness to get to his opponents quickly.

On this showing, he would remind the older generation of Tottenham watchers of a young Steve Perryman.

I only hope that he can eventually justify this praise.

Oliver Skipp will soon be banging on the Tottenham first-team door | Daily Mail Online

In a recent academy game I saw, he got tight to the opposition's quality midfielder and gave him three powerful but fair challenges in the first 10 minutes.

Confident in confrontation, he also showed maturity when using the ball. Playing from deep but driving upfield in possession, he has the vision to quickly see the forward pass.

But there is no doubt that Skipp looks like a leader, cajoling and encouraging his team's forward players to press as a unit as he backed them up from centre field.

He is not selfish and looks to have enough sharpness to get to his opponents quickly.

On this showing, he would remind the older generation of Tottenham watchers of a young Steve Perryman.

Ive mentioned this a few times lately, and got a little bit of flack for suggesting playing Skipp (Amos etc) but this what we have been missing. Some fucking intensity to what we do in midfield.

I know it was only pre season, but I really enjoyed watching that CM3 of Skipp, Amos and Marsh tear into Roma relentlessly and then zip the ball about instead plodding around and taking 27 touches before passing sideways.

I know that CM3 wouldn’t be right for all occasions, or even any, but along with a couple of the senior CM's I think Skipp could bring some of that energy and intensity.

Last edited:
I like the cut of this lads jib...feet on the ground, eager to learn, great speaker...

Oliver Skipp has had a big month at Tottenham Hotspur and the teenager has been explaining exactly what he's been learning from being around the first team.

Skipp, who turned 18 last month, has been training with the first team since impressing the club's pre-season US tour and the current spate of injuries has seen him handed a spot on the bench twice in recent days.

The first came against Barcelona in the Champions League no less and then he remained on the bench for the Premier League match against Cardiff City on Saturday, despite other first team players becoming available.

Skipp then impressed for the club's development side as they thrashed Gillingham 4-0 in the Checkatrade Trophy and then received the Premier League 2 Player of the Month award for September.

On his Barcelona experience at Wembley, the teenage midfielder said:"It was an invaluable experience, being up close to two top teams and getting to see the tactics and how the different players played – different aspects that you don’t necessarily see from sitting in the crowd.

"Also it was good to see how the first team players prepare for such a big game and the mental aspects that they go through beforehand."

"Being on the bench in the Premier League a few days later was also an experience I was grateful for because it shows you how to prepare at the very top level.

"Even little things like what to eat before a game, how to hydrate, weigh yourself – just things that maybe might not seem so big from the outside but in a sport where there’s lots of people fighting for an opportunity, they really count to give you an edge and help you achieve what you want to achieve."

0_GettyImages-1046703474.jpg

Oliver Skipp on the bench for Spurs' Premier League match against Cardiff City at Wembley
It has been a season of learning so far, with Skipp impressing Mauricio Pochettino as well as first team stars like Christian Eriksen out in the USA over the summer.

"The first team staff such as Mauricio, Jesus Perez, Miguel D’Agostino and Toni Jimenez – they’ve all helped me win this award because they’ve been working on my game when I’ve been with the first team, giving me tips and advice on how to improve," said Skipp.

"Also the Under-23 staff such as Wayne Burnett and John McDermott, and also Matt Wells when I’ve had a little bit of time with the Under-18s, have helped me massively to push my game forward and hopefully help to take me to the next level."
When Spurs travelled to play Inter Milan in the Champions League, Skipp flew over the with the first team and training with them before turning out for the U19s in the UEFA Youth League.

"Playing in that competition is a great experience because you travel with the first team, you get to experience being away from home in foreign countries, you get the night before, you get to watch the first team train – and I was actually lucky enough to train with the first team at the San Siro, so that was a wonderful experience – but then you also play top opposition, foreign teams with different styles, and that’s a great opportunity to get a taste of something similar to what the Champions League is like," explained the young midfielder.

After receiving his award for his performances in the U23 Premier League 2, Skipp said it's now all about building to the future.

"It helps to increase your confidence when you win an award like this but now it’s about how you perform in the next month and how you push on from this," he explained.

"It’s been a great month for me, finishing off with the two bench appearances with the first team, but I just need to keep pushing. I’m delighted to win this award, it’s a great achievement for me personally but, as I’ve said before, without the team I wouldn't have been able to win it."

Oliver Skipp explains what he's learned from working with Spurs' first team

Last edited:
Always wanted the ball yesterday and made one decent run beyond their defenders. For his short cameo he definitely got himself about. Hassling and pressing the opposition like it was nobody's business.

Look forward to seeing even more.

I t
Always wanted the ball yesterday and made one decent run beyond their defenders. For his short cameo he definitely got himself about. Hassling and pressing the opposition like it was nobody's business.

Look forward to seeing even more.
I thought he looked very nervous and at times doesnt know what to do when we had possesion.
Obviously not judging the lad just yet. Its just not a greag debut.

Ive mentioned this a few times lately, and got a little bit of flack for suggesting playing Skipp (Amos etc) but this what we have been missing. Some fucking intensity to what we do in midfield.

I know it was only pre season, but I really enjoyed watching that CM3 of Skipp, Amos and Marsh tear into Roma relentlessly and then zip the ball about instead plodding around and taking 27 touches before passing sideways.

I know that CM3 wouldn’t be right for all occasions, or even any, but along with a couple of the senior CM's I think Skipp could bring some of that energy and intensity.

This deserved more than just a like .... who knew you could be so positive .... excellent stuff ....

How proud were you to be able to bring Oliver Skipp on and produce another Premier League player from Spurs' academy?

With Oliver it's only about time. If he is capable of working how he's working and doing in the future the energy and he's behaving now, I think his future will be bright. We were thinking in the last few months to give him the opportunity to play in the Premier League but for different things it wasn't possible. I think he's a player that we believe a lot in and I hope that he continues growing. For sure, he will be, I hope and wish, a great player for this club.

How proud were you to be able to bring Oliver Skipp on and produce another Premier League player from Spurs' academy?

With Oliver it's only about time. If he is capable of working how he's working and doing in the future the energy and he's behaving now, I think his future will be bright. We were thinking in the last few months to give him the opportunity to play in the Premier League but for different things it wasn't possible. I think he's a player that we believe a lot in and I hope that he continues growing. For sure, he will be, I hope and wish, a great player for this club.
Which is why I'm not overly worried about the DM position.

Back
Top Bottom