Joshua Onomah

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Started today in central midfield for Sheffield Wednesday.

They're currently 0-2 up away at Bristol City and he's got another assist to his name.

I think if a loan is going well it's best to keep him there unless we can be certain he'll get as much or more game time here.

Otherwise it's waste of his development.

Subbed off at half time at the weekend, publicly critiqued by the manager - but plenty of the fans seem more unhappy with the manager - who seems like a bit of a twat.

This is one of the reasons many of our brighter talents are better off going to Germany or France, where they understand the process of development and don’t expect to give kids one start a month and for them to be instant world beaters:

Sheffield Wednesday fans react on Twitter to Josh Onomah display

Sheffield Wednesday fans have taken to Twitter to give their reaction to the performance of Tottenham Hotspur-owned Josh Onomah against Swansea City.

Onomah, who joined Wednesday on loan from Premier League club Tottenham in the summer transfer window, featured for Wednesday in their Championship match against Swansea away from home at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The 21-year-old midfielder started the game and was substituted at half time, as the Owls lost 2-1.

According to WhoScored, the youngster had a pass accuracy of 66.7%, (which was more than Sissoko's against Leicester) and made one tackle and two clearances.

The Tottenham-owned midfielder has made seven starts and two substitute appearances in the Championship for Wednesday so far this season, providing two assists in the process, according to WhoScored.

Onomah tried his best during his time on the pitch against Swansea, showed energy and desire, and it was surprising that manager Jos Luhukay decided to take him off at half time.

Wednesday fans have given their opinion on the performance of Onomah on Twitter, and they may be of interest to Tottenham and their supporters.

Some of the responses on Twitter:

Onomah out!!!!!! For Making Jos look incompetent #swfc

· Dec 16, 2018

Add Onomah to the ever increasing list of players who won't play for #swfc again whilst Jos is manager.

Replying to @domhowson

Have to say I agree, Onomah was awful in the first 15-20 minutes and looked lazy. Yes, he improved as the first half went on but Jos made the right change IMO #swfc

If onomah isn't injured that's a ridiculous decision by Jos, he was very good in the first half #

Onomah clearly played too well un the first. Off he comes lol. #JosOut #swfc

Replying to @domhowson

He was playing no worse than Pelupessy plays week in week out

Replying to @domhowson

Nothing to do with injury, he was playing to well Jos doesn't like that behaviour.

Replying to @domhowson

Yeah played well first half must have a knock or something...... reach to CM??

Onomah, Reach and Fox looking very good that half. Pelupessey and Baker need to up it 2nd hslf, but on the whole compared to recently it looks a shade better #swfc

Replying to @Dwebbo86 @swfc

Onomah looks in the zone aswell

Last edited:
Subbed off at half time at the weekend, publicly critiqued by the manager - but plenty of the fans seem more unhappy with the manager - who seems like a bit of a twat.

This is one of the reasons many of our brighter talents are better off going to Germany or France, where they understand the process of development and don’t expect to give kids one start a month and for them to be instant world beaters:

Sheffield Wednesday fans react on Twitter to Josh Onomah display

Sheffield Wednesday fans have taken to Twitter to give their reaction to the performance of Tottenham Hotspur-owned Josh Onomah against Swansea City.

Onomah, who joined Wednesday on loan from Premier League club Tottenham in the summer transfer window, featured for Wednesday in their Championship match against Swansea away from home at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The 21-year-old midfielder started the game and was substituted at half time, as the Owls lost 2-1.

According to WhoScored, the youngster had a pass accuracy of 66.7%, (which was more than Sissoko's against Leicester) and made one tackle and two clearances.

The Tottenham-owned midfielder has made seven starts and two substitute appearances in the Championship for Wednesday so far this season, providing two assists in the process, according to WhoScored.

Onomah tried his best during his time on the pitch against Swansea, showed energy and desire, and it was surprising that manager Jos Luhukay decided to take him off at half time.

Wednesday fans have given their opinion on the performance of Onomah on Twitter, and they may be of interest to Tottenham and their supporters.

Some of the responses on Twitter:

Onomah out!!!!!! For Making Jos look incompetent #swfc

· Dec 16, 2018

Add Onomah to the ever increasing list of players who won't play for #swfc again whilst Jos is manager.

Replying to @domhowson

Have to say I agree, Onomah was awful in the first 15-20 minutes and looked lazy. Yes, he improved as the first half went on but Jos made the right change IMO #swfc

If onomah isn't injured that's a ridiculous decision by Jos, he was very good in the first half #

Onomah clearly played too well un the first. Off he comes lol. #JosOut #swfc

Replying to @domhowson

He was playing no worse than Pelupessy plays week in week out

Replying to @domhowson

Nothing to do with injury, he was playing to well Jos doesn't like that behaviour.

Replying to @domhowson

Yeah played well first half must have a knock or something...... reach to CM??

Onomah, Reach and Fox looking very good that half. Pelupessey and Baker need to up it 2nd hslf, but on the whole compared to recently it looks a shade better #swfc

Replying to @Dwebbo86 @swfc

Onomah looks in the zone aswell

https://twitter.com/Flockowl

Unfortunate as there is a player in there. Just can’t seem to get his confidence up in order to believe he deserves it

Onomah ?

There's more negative comments on the manager in the Onomah thread on 'Owlstalk' than negative comments on Onomah, although I guess a third of fans are not that happy with Onomah in the first half (but a number also say he wasn't the worst performer).

It was 0-0 when Onomah came off at HT, and Owls lost.

The 1st and 3rd comments on the Owlstalk thread seemed to sum the other comments up :

'Was he taken off Injured or was this a tactical masterclass ?

Anything been mentioned because we looked solid enough and played some decent stuff but once Onomah was gone and cruncher Reach went to centre midfield it was all over
'

Don’t judge any of the players. They would get more directions from an Italian traffic cop.

Its the first time Onomah has played in a month (which may well be a reason why he started slowly at the weekend), but I'm not sure there is any merit in leaving him at Sheffield Wednesday whilst the current manager is still there, as the manager has lost the fan base and by the way the team are performing, quite possibly the dressing room too. Not a happy club at the moment

Will be playing League One football within the next 2 years.

I know you'll think this a daft thing to say, but I don't think he'll ever be suited for League 1 football, his game is just not built for that type of grind.

I hope he gets a move abroad, preferably France or Germany, or maybe Holland because there is a much better environment to develop for a player like Onomah.

I know this sounds like I'm making excuses, but it's so much easier for neat and tidy players like Skipp or Winks to find pitch time, because they don't make many mistakes, whereas a player like Onomah is far more likely to do something exceptional, but unfortunately the risk that comes with that is that he will also make more mistakes. He doesn't zip around industriously like a busy fucker doing lost of simple stuff.

He's not your standard type of footballer, he's an unusual shaped peg, not a Skipp or Winks type who you can kind of play anywhere across the midfield and trust to do the basics competently, Onomah needs to be played in a specific way, and he will always look better with better players moving around him for him to spot and find, than just being asked to water carry.

In an ideal world he needs a run of games, in a team that wants to play football, for a coach that coaches them properly and sets them up to get the best out of his players, where he's allowed to build up the type of rhythm and understanding he had with regular teams at youth level, but it's really hard for him to get that in lower league sides who mostly just want to shit kick their way to survival.

I'm not saying he's ever going to be Pogba standard, but Pogba has similar issues, and divides opinions in similar ways. There are those that think he's an over hyped waster (including Mourinho it seems) and there are those (like me) that think if you play him in the right set up, he's an outstanding footballer.

I've seen Onomah have very Pogba-esque games at youth level - many of us have, which is why we had such high hopes of the kid - games where he was imperious (the WC final eg), and he's got so much in his skill set that most other players rarely have, but if - IF - and I still am not saying he's guaranteed to succeed - he is to succeed, we are never going to see his best getting ad hoc games for shit kicker managers who don't play football, don't give him a consistent run of games, and don't give him time to make mistakes and learn being the player he is, and not being something else they are trying to make him be.

I think his development has been handled badly by Pochettino. In his last season here he got 18 minutes from the bench. There were shitloads of games we were 3/4/5 nil up in and he'd put in other players. Didn't get a single start in midfield, didn't get a single start with a proper first team.

I personally think he is a unique talent, but I understand why he might not make it, he doesn't tick the uniform boxes, and he does have areas of his game that need developing, and this country just isn't the best place for players like him to develop and learn on the job, which is why English clubs are continually paying big money for players from the French league - because in France Onomah would have played about 150 games by now.

It is worth noting his manager at Wednesday who just got sacked is a Dutchman.

He seemed to be out of his depth from day one and surprised by the intensity of football being played in the Championship, not sure he was able to implement much if any of his Dutch football expertise and clearly took his ire out on Onomah by dropping him.

Back
Top Bottom