Wig On @ home

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like smoked salmon said, your money buys you a seat and the chance to watch two teams play football. It doesn't guarantee a good performance or result.

Look, it's easy to be objective on a forum. I've been a ST holder for several years and have felt those feelings of frustration and anger many times. However, it's much easier to get over a shot game of you come away thinking the atmosphere was top notch and at least YOU had a good time even if the players were cack.

Far too many people base their enjoyment of the match day experience on how spurs get on on the pitch and that's where it all falls down. If winning is the be all and end all of a good day out at football, why is it that when we beat Peterborough 4-0 in the cup a few years ago it was one of the dullest games ever?

I'm not saying it's not ok to be angry or shout spontanously, but there's a difference from booing your team IMO.

Without a doubt. I agree 100%.

Im more getting at the atmosphere generally. Watching certain games, the last thing I want do to is start singing because Im so angry at the performance, and my anger wouldnt change whether I was at the game or in the pub.

I can applaud an individual effort, or shout out "unlucky son", no problem, but I understand why it can be subdued when everybody in the ground knows deep down we are going to drop three points to a shit team (again), a whole hour before they even score.

Does'nt excuse booing, Im just saying how I read alot on forums about the negativity in the ground, yet Ive read the same negativity on the forum. I dont believe if those people were at the game, they wouldnt be feeling negative, and they would be singing and clapping the players woeful attempts.

If anyone is able to be relentlessly positive during a football match, despite the emotional aspects of seeing your team perform poorly, then kudos.

I'm emotionally invested in this club, a lot more than the players are. I can't be positive when the performance doesn't deserve it. Just not in my nature. I can come on here and be subjective the next day, but I'm not going to gloss over the fact I'll shout "oh for fuck sake" every time Walker plays someone onside, or Defoe hits a passing 747 with a shot.

I was there yesterday and I have to say we were dull, slow and lacked guile, we made 4 decent chances and went with 1 striker against Wigan. Then at the point where we could have put Adebayor up front with Defoe, AVB chooses to take off Defoe, it beggars belief, even now it hurts that we did not have a really good go at Wigan, we were just too cautious.

I know support should be unconditional and I didn't boo but we weren't grasping the nettle and the team have to give you something to shout for sometimes. There were a couple of times I could hear 'Oh When the Spurs Go Marching On' start up and then we'd either give the ball away cheaply or back pass the ball to Friedel and it just sapped the energy from the place.

I never post just after a game, as that's when I'm liable to say the angry words but as much as I hate the booing, the performance yesterday was awful and the decisions made during the game showed an utter lack of ambition, we have to get it together for Woolwich and Man City, weirdly I have a feeling we will.

Far too many people base their enjoyment of the match day experience on how spurs get on on the pitch and that's where it all falls down.

But its quite normal to feel deflated and shit for a week after a certain game and loss. So of course how we play affects your mood....mine at least.

Its not about winning or losing. Ive seen Spurs applauded off after losing. Its the manner of play, not the result. People talk about the Spurs way, and they'd rather lose playing well than win playing dull shite football.

For me, that shows that its not just glory hunters who feel they have a right to win doing it, but also hardened Spurs fans who are appalled by the Sunday League performance that would have Bil Nic throwing tea cups.

If anyone is able to be relentlessly positive during a football match, despite the emotional aspects of seeing your team perform poorly, then kudos.

I'm emotionally invested in this club, a lot more than the players are. I can't be positive when the performance doesn't deserve it. Just not in my nature. I can come on here and be subjective the next day, but I'm not going to gloss over the fact I'll shout "oh for fuck sake" every time Walker plays someone onside, or Defoe hits a passing 747 with a shot.
Funny thing is, is that I don't think that a lot of people would have such a problem with that if the rest of the time there was some some and noise. I always thought the whole point of "Come on you Spurs" was to lift a side that isn't doing as well as it could. For every "for fuck's sake", can't there also then be a "COYS" sung to try and lift the team? Emotional frustration does not equate to me to mean singing becomes impossible and mid-game booing is the only answer.

Seeing a lot of 'I'll be proved right soon that AVB isn't up to the job' type posts on Facebook. It's like these people want him to fail just to say 'I told you so' without really realising that him failing means the club failing. JUST FUCKING BACK THE GUY!!!!!

Losing playing well and winning playing badly may have different outcomes in terms of crowd feeling, but the fact is that what this debate boils down to is whether or not the crowd can be the twelfth man. Those who think the players owe it to them to do things a certain way or give them their consumer product seem to have a distinct lack of understand of what it is to be a supportive crowd.

Can anyone here say with any degree of sincerity that a singing crowd during a dire performance isn't better than a silent booing crowd?

But its quite normal to feel deflated and shit for a week after a certain game and loss. So of course how we play affects your mood....mine at least.

Its not about winning or losing. Ive seen Spurs applauded off after losing. Its the manner of play, not the result. People talk about the Spurs way, and they'd rather lose playing well than win playing dull shite football.

For me, that shows that its not just glory hunters who feel they have a right to win doing it, but also hardened Spurs fans who are appalled by the Sunday League performance that would have Bil Nic throwing tea cups.

I don't dispute any of this. But why not at least try to enjoy yourself anyway? It comes up a lot but there was a game at fulham in the cup and we were 4-0 down. Yet some say it's one of the most fun away data they've had. Because of what the fans were doing. Appreciate there's an element of gallows humour when you just know you're being trounced anyway. It's a bit different to a tight game you're afraid of losing. But it does show that fans need to take responsibility for the atmosphere at games. Just as players shouldnt blame fans if they play like shit. Really it shouldn't matter what happens on the pitch at all.

Seeing a lot of 'I'll be proved right soon that AVB isn't up to the job' type posts on Facebook. It's like these people want him to fail just to say 'I told you so' without really realising that him failing means the club failing. JUST FUCKING BACK THE GUY!!!!!

I'm an not convinced AVB is an upgrade on Redknapp and wasn't when we brought him in. I always felt that we should have only gone for someone to replace Harry who really had proven winning experience behind him (one year at Porto isn't enough IMO). For that reason I think it is perfectly legitimate to calmly question some of his tactical and squad choices where we can chat about it after the game. But the reality is that the clock cannot be turned back. He's here now. People wanted Redknapp out, this is what they got. They should have the balls to support the change when they walk through the turnstiles.

I am guessing that Thursday night with the 1882 crowd singing their hearts out for the team even if they play like warm soft poo, will be a good measure of whether the crowd can influence the game, and we all know they can. I am looking forward to Thursday way way more than any premier league game so far this season, especially games like yesterday.

I don't dispute any of this. But why not at least try to enjoy yourself anyway? It comes up a lot but there was a game at fulham in the cup and we were 4-0 down. Yet some say it's one of the most fun away data they've had. Because of what the fans were doing. Appreciate there's an element of gallows humour when you just know you're being trounced anyway. It's a bit different to a tight game you're afraid of losing. But it does show that fans need to take responsibility for the atmosphere at games. Just as players shouldnt blame fans if they play like shit. Really it shouldn't matter what happens on the pitch at all.

There is so much I agree with here, but just cant escape the last line for me. The Fulham game was also away dont forget...I doubt the whole Park Lane would have jumped up and down for 20 minutes chanting Yid Army to be fair.

I just guess some people can turn anger into bravado easier than others.

I know support should be unconditional and I didn't boo but we weren't grasping the nettle and the team have to give you something to shout for sometimes. There were a couple of times I could hear 'Oh When the Spurs Go Marching On' start up and then we'd either give the ball away cheaply or back pass the ball to Friedel and it just sapped the energy from the place.

Completely agree, and I don't think we managed any substantial sequence of positive play at any time during the match to get the crowd going. Even when we started to throw bodies forward at the end, it was more desperation than anything else.

The fact is that we've been static, predictable and disjointed on the pitch. I will not jump on AVB's back, as he's making do without a full deck at the moment, but he's got to conjure something up. It would be fantastic for the crowd to be able to sing their hearts out from minute 1 to minute 95 but they need some encouragement and stimulus too.

Come on everyone, cheer up, we'ed all agree to a 1-0 loss at home to Wigan in we win away at the Ethiad and the Emirates in the coming fortnight would we.
:baeshock:

Problem with that is it will mark a worrying return to raising our game against 4 clubs, and taking our foot of the gas against everyone else. There are far more points to be gained from "the rest", than there is from the "the big boys".

As nice as it feels to beat them, its pointless if you end up 7th or 8th. We could lose to the Chelsea, Man U, arse and City, twice over and still win the league. Very far fetched, but you get my point?

I appreciate some can't bring themselves to sing gleefully when we're playing dire, but I don't expect a rendition of "by far the greatest team..." during these moments, it's not appropriate....it'd be fucking delusional! What would be appropriate would be a chorus of "Come on you Spurs!", something that says we want improvement, we want better, but in a positive manner. It's encouragement, it's driving the team on, it's support...from supporters.

I appreciate some can't bring themselves to sing gleefully when we're playing dire, but I don't expect a rendition of "by far the greatest team..." during these moments, it's not appropriate....it'd be fucking delusional! What would be appropriate would be a chorus of "Come on you Spurs!", something that says we want improvement, we want better, but in a positive manner. It's encouragement, it's driving the team on, it's support...from supporters.

To be fair, there were quite a few of the "Come on you Spurs!" chants yesterday. Not enough, possibly, but it goes to show that there were a good amount of fans trying to be positive. Me included.
There were also a lot of single voices trying unsuccessfully to start chants.

the fans didnt pick a 40 year old keeper who was bought as a stop gap, we had a young world class keeper on the bench. the fans didnt take off our top scorer when we needed a goal. the fans dont coach the team in such a way that if we get a goal up we do everything possible to protect that goal rather than scoring more and the fans dont ignore corners [attacking or defending them] when on the training ground. avb makes a lot of bad decisions and he wont be making them for long.
but he does have some nice suits and he does celebrate goals with a mixture of relief and disbelief.
if he dont get his act together soon, he'll be gone by christmas.
be honest with yourselves, have we played 90 minutes of good football once this season ?
as for a sense of entitlement about being entertained, yes we should have that, if i pay for something, i fucking want it, im not entitled to points or goals but im fucking entitled to see the team giving 100% and the manager to pick the best players in their best positions, if our opponants are good enough to overcome that, so be it, but we've been average in every cup game and below average in most league games. the fact that we have top quality players is papering over the fact that the manager is not very good or just plain arrogant.
man utd away, we could have won by 2 or 3 goals instead of hanging on like we did at southampton, and didnt do against norwich or wba.

To be fair, there were quite a few of the "Come on you Spurs!" chants yesterday. Not enough, possibly, but it goes to show that there were a good amount of fans trying to be positive. Me included.
There were also a lot of single voices trying unsuccessfully to start chants.

Yeah that I can believe. I think when people see that "come on you Spurs" isnt actually helping, they stop singing it, along with every other song that the more upbeat fans try and get going.

Man U fans were pretty supportive when we were beating them but even then there were boos at half time. I guess there is also less anxiety from fans who have won the PL or CL or both, and everything else nearly every year, and are used to winning games they are losing with 1 minute of normal time left.

Our anxiety comes from "knowing" we are likely to lose absolutely any game we are in, no matter the scoreline, opposition or performance, or time left to play.

Back
Top Bottom