New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As disappointing as yesterday's news was things could always be a lot, lot worse. Fingers crossed we only have a handful of games to endure at the soulless bowl that is Wembley. West Ham on the other hand have a further 97 years at that tinpot, scaffold dominated athletics cunthole in Stratford. Perspective .
What a cunthole indeed...doesn't even have a fucking outside wall. Only thing that place is good for is Foo Fighters gigs

I get what you're saying but Tottenham should be in Tottenham. I know Levy tried for Stratford which was a first real danger sign of him in charge but fair play to him he did keep us exactly where the club should be. Regardless of what happens from here on in he kept the club and as much of its previous magic intact and I'm grateful for that. Spurs not being based on the high road where I remember my earliest memories walking up there as a kid would have just felt like the guts had been ripped out of it. The area plays a huge part in what I identify as being my club

Levy tried to build his luxury suites, tiered pricing, cheese room palace in Stratford. The worst of both worlds.

What I'm saying is that Spurs ought to be what all clubs should be, a vessel for their supporters, and as that pertains to stadium design that ought to mean focus on packing in as many reasonably priced ticketholders as the market will bear. Which just isn't possible on the current site, every game would be a transportation catastrophe, the council would never allow it, nor should they.

But cheese rooms aside, I totally get what you're saying and I do think Levy ended up with something that a supporter who will never dine in the Tunnel Club can nonetheless be proud of.

Unpopular opinion alert, but for me, the best case scenario from both a Spurs perspective and a London perspective would have been to have Spurs and West Ham groundshare (and likely co-own) at an enormous, say 85k or even more, stadium in Stratford which was created by a pre-purposed digging out of the running track a la what was done with the City of Manchester Stadium, as the centerpiece of a national sports complex, including a stadium development of the warm-up athletics track as the "athletics legacy" of the games.

A stadium where the club's matchday revenue would be tied to ambition in attracting the maximum number of supporters to attend matches rather than how many bells and whistles the club could dazzle plutocrats with.

Best of all would be doing that at a Spurs-only venue in Tottenham, somewhere where the public transportation links could make that feasible, but that was never possible. It was possible as part of the Olympics development, and the shambles for spammers and London taxpayers could have been avoided, with Spurs benefitting in a way more material than just schadenfreude.

(I'm American, I've only ever been to WHL as a tourist, guilty as charged.)

columbo-puzzled.gif

Unpopular opinion alert, but for me, the best case scenario from both a Spurs perspective and a London perspective would have been to have Spurs and West Ham groundshare (and likely co-own) at an enormous, say 85k or even more, stadium in Stratford which was created by a pre-purposed digging out of the running track a la what was done with the City of Manchester Stadium, as the centerpiece of a national sports complex, including a stadium development of the warm-up athletics track as the "athletics legacy" of the games.
Jan-Vertonghen-Belgium-Sick.gif

A stadium where the club's matchday revenue would be tied to ambition in attracting the maximum number of supporters to attend matches rather than how many bells and whistles the club could dazzle plutocrats with.

Best of all would be doing that at a Spurs-only venue in Tottenham, somewhere where the public transportation links could make that feasible, but that was never possible. It was possible as part of the Olympics development, and the shambles for spammers and London taxpayers could have been avoided, with Spurs benefitting in a way more material than just schadenfreude.

Do you know whats underneath the running track?

Nuclear Waste

Whats underneath that?

The water table

Its the reason why despite needing to rebuild the bottom tier west ham didnt dig downwards and build a proper retractable seating setup

mw38v0.gif

Well in that case, Captain'Murrica, you'll understand THIS reaction:
displeased-wwe-fan-gifs-of-wrestling-fans-being-wrestling-fans.gif

Do you know whats underneath the running track?
Nuclear Waste
Whats underneath that?

The water table

Its the reason why despite needing to rebuild the bottom tier west ham didnt dig downwards and build a proper retractable seating setup
But worst of all is what's ABOVE the running track over there...
Sialage waste and filth!!

Levy tried to build his luxury suites, tiered pricing, cheese room palace in Stratford. The worst of both worlds.

What I'm saying is that Spurs ought to be what all clubs should be, a vessel for their supporters, and as that pertains to stadium design that ought to mean focus on packing in as many reasonably priced ticketholders as the market will bear. Which just isn't possible on the current site, every game would be a transportation catastrophe, the council would never allow it, nor should they.

But cheese rooms aside, I totally get what you're saying and I do think Levy ended up with something that a supporter who will never dine in the Tunnel Club can nonetheless be proud of.

Football has lost its way a bit to the money men, pure outright desire for success, fabricated glory and teams that are willing to sell their traditions for a shot at the big time purely based on the revenue streams the sport now generates. Teams like West Ham have lost everything about who they are apart from the colour of their kits and some shitty motto associated with the club from the past. The thing I like about our infrastructure being where it has been built is that the thing that makes matchdays important to me, the train ride to WHL where you see the stadium in the distance, the feel of the walk up the street with the other fans, nostalgic things that make the club special to most will still be a part of the club now with it staying where it has. One day if we need to move into an 80,000 seater etc that may change but it should only change if it's out of our control.

It's nice to know that I'll get to experience a different kind of Spurs, hopefully a better more powerful one with a lot of the roots still intact. It'll be the 2nd largest stadium in the country so I don't think we've been short changed on capacity medium to long term, especially when you see the struggles the nomads down in Ashburton Grove have when it comes to selling their seats. I think it's a job well done even if the idea of an NFL pitch being the hallowed permanent foundations, a cheese room and a Skywalk take away a little bit of my love for it being a pure footballing arena

One word: Nuts

Americans just don't understand rivalries.

Afternoon pal. I think the club are thieving the fans a bit on two fronts. Firstly holding the test event 10 days ago now yet this news is just hitting them on the first business day after the season starts after refunds are void. I think if the test day was done a week before the season starts that's either sufficient enough time to feedback to the club that there is a red flag or that the test day should have been run a couple of days earlier thus ensuring feedback was available for the club to notify fans before the refund offer came into expiration. Offering credit or refunds on the individual matches is both necessary and a token gesture as I'm sure there would have been a couple of people here &a there that would have took up the option of a refund should that have at least been an option made available to them. The fact this info wasn't made common knowledge before that date kicked in raises concerns for me.

Secondly the club trying to flog autopay games for cup games midweek last week when people would have had an inkling something weren't right. That to me comes across as a possible last minute attempt to use the new stadium as a money grabber. There's no way a multi billion pound operationnlike Spurs can be posting things to fans saying quick, get your tickets for the biggest season to date at our shiny new home whilst stocks last only to say a few days later that there's a chance, in fact it's near on definite we'll be playing those cup games without the Unique selling point we reeled you in with in the first place. I'm not sure if cash refunds are being made for these like the league games so we'll see.

Levy went out of his way to thank the NFL in his statement, I didn't see the same wording towards the clubs fans even though we were the ones that made the trip to Wembley every other weekend last season. He merely highlighted that he understood the disappointment and asked for our patience and support. No thanks given.

I could be wrong but there's just a few things that I look at that I think the club should have done better in all of this. It's either pure coincidence or it's been a way of safeguarding the club by not releasing info at certain times that would have exposed them financially yet rightly so. Something dont quite add up for me but if the club react positively after this disappointing news with help reimbursing travelling fans & by offering reduced ticket prices for those Wembley games to truly show their apologies (which we still haven't got yet by the way) then I'll be open minded about the possibility I overreacted. I'm watching the club closely at the moment, especially if that email from Cullen to the bloke travelling from NYC is real. My sourness started with their choice of what to do with club 1882 and four or five things at boardroom level are starting to raise alarm bells with their failure to rectify them, in my book, accordingly. We'll see how it goes but if there's one thing I really don't like seeing it's the club try to fleece its fans which seems to be possibly the case with the timing of things over the past week or so

Regardless if i share in it (as a non ST holder the impact on me is minimal beyond "Wembley sucks"), I can understand much of the frustration. Just found "thievery" a bit of an ill-fitting choice of words given the circumstances and degree of speculation still involved.

Last edited:

Come on mate. Aside from the obvious issues, ground sharing isn’t great. Milan and Inter have been desperate to separate for decades.

Franchises don’t really work in UK/Europe, so moving neighbourhood is a huge issue, let alone to a completely different part of town.

Last edited:
Regardless if i share in it (as a non ST holder the impact on me is minimal beyond "Wembley sucks"), I can understand much of the frustration. Just found "thievery" a bit of an ill-fitting choice of words given the circumstances and degree of speculation involved.

Yeah it was a bit of red mist I guess but I still think the club have sat around the table and discussed damage limitation based on certain events that have gone down and I don't see a lot of love or compensation being offered to the fans because of it. If you'd rented an hour driving a Ferrari only to get told the first 5 minutes you had to drive a Vauxhall instead, only to then get told the Vauxhall ride would then be 10 minutes, possibly 15, then 20 you'd start to want your money back & with this season ticket refund expiring after the season started should you want to take them up on it, I can't help but suspect that they've pulled a bit of a fast one even if the circumstances regarding the build are out of their control.

Sorry about the Ferrari analogy, I've been spending far too many lunch breaks on Groupon :s

P.s I know it isn't about the stadium, it's about the team but the stadium has definitely spiked interest amongst some fans and probably played a big part tipping the scales for some when deciding to part with their money

Last edited:

I assume this was just bait to draw out enough replies to get us to page 1,000?

Ha, having caught the Spurs bug from my relatives in Essex, I guess I have a slightly different perspective.

And if you think we wouldn't all be beside ourselves with joy doubling West Ham's attendance figures in the same massive facility every week, I think you're fooling yourself. Plus, double occupancy is the best bang for the buck in a publicly built facility.

As someone seemingly vehemently opposed to corporate football, I'm suprised you'd condone sacrificing our roots and identity for the sake of a few extra quid at the gate.

For me...

Ground share. Yuk.
Move the club and share with a rival. Game over.

Stopped reading there to be honest with you
:pochwtf:

Couldn't bring myself to visit this thread when the news broke last night. Just caught up on the last 25-ish pages, and was delighted to see that we were back to bad puns again soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom