Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe give people the ability to change their username if they wanted too
This can get messy. Someone could change their username and avatar and no one would know who they are. Dunno if that matters or not but I'd rather not make it an easy option.

Case
Make it possible to see why somebody is in the bin ?
Whilst still keeping anonymity re who voted them in.
There's often no specific reason. They're in the bin because enough people voted them in. Their posts (could be one specific post, could be a bunch of different ones) have gained enough votes.

This can get messy. Someone could change their username and avatar and no one would know who they are. Dunno if that matters or not but I'd rather not make it an easy option.

There's often no specific reason. They're in the bin because enough people voted them in. Their posts (could be one specific post, could be a bunch of different ones) have gained enough votes.
I saw some of the lads on here posting there "carding" history.
So is it possible to see, when clicking on a members profile, something like;
date yellow personal abuse
date yellow threatening violence
date binned
date yellow being a gooner
etc.

Radical option, but here goes.

Thread posts no longer appear in the order in which they are posted, but appear according to the number of upvotes (like, agree, funny) they receive. This makes the most liked, and therefore the most pertinent, posts appear first.

Replies to posts no longer appear below the cut, but appear directly within the post itself, and are subject to the same upvoting rules, the reply with the most upvotes appears first.

In other words, within a thread, OP post appears first, showing its own upvotes and downvotes, with its replies inside it, in order of upvote. The next post will be the most upvoted post with its replies within it. Next will be the 2nd most upvoted post, etc.

This could be done as an option for the user, to read posts in this fashion, reading best posts only. Of course, anyone who chooses to keep reading linearly can keep doing so. Option interchangeable at will.

This could easily be achieved browser-side, with some major coding, or make the server(s) do the gruntwork, again with major coding.

Thread posts no longer appear in the order in which they are posted, but appear according to the number of upvotes (like, agree, funny) they receive. This makes the most liked, and therefore the most pertinent, posts appear first.

Replies to posts no longer appear below the cut, but appear directly within the post itself, and are subject to the same upvoting rules, the reply with the most upvotes appears first.

In other words, within a thread, OP post appears first, showing its own upvotes and downvotes, with its replies inside it, in order of upvote. The next post will be the most upvoted post with its replies within it. Next will be the 2nd most upvoted post, etc.

This could be done as an option for the user, to read posts in this fashion, reading best posts only. Of course, anyone who chooses to keep reading linearly can keep doing so. Option interchangeable at will.

This could easily be achieved browser-side, with some major coding, or make the server(s) do the gruntwork, again with major coding.
I feel like I've seen this before but no idea where I might have reddit

I feel like I've seen this before but no idea where I might have reddit
Not just reddit, but seenit in many other forums, and it does cut a lot of the less pertinent posts out of the conversation. Again, it can be made to be a totally optional setting to the user, and changes nothing to anyone who doesn't care to see things change.

Thread posts no longer appear in the order in which they are posted, but appear according to the number of upvotes (like, agree, funny) they receive.
This makes the most liked, and therefore the most pertinent, posts appear first.

Most pertinent to who, though?

The posts being shown in order is the best way IMO. There are a lot of people on this forum who read the threads without posting/liking/disliking, etc. Nothing wrong with the way things are currently in my opinion.

I've actually looked into this sort of thing before but I've never seen it implemented effectively. It does work for some forms of discussion but not too well with others. You could end up with one post having hundreds of comments under it which would be a nightmare to display/read. Decent content becomes lost.

I'm not against it. I just think the current format is still more effective as things stand. There's definitely room to improve content discovery though - pulling the decent posts out to the surface.

Most pertinent to who, though?

The posts being shown in order is the best way IMO. There are a lot of people on this forum who read the threads without posting/liking/disliking, etc. Nothing wrong with the way things are currently in my opinion.

I've actually looked into this sort of thing before but I've never seen it implemented effectively. It does work for some forms of discussion but not too well with others. You could end up with one post having hundreds of comments under it which would be a nightmare to display/read. Decent content becomes lost.

I'm not against it. I just think the current format is still more effective as things stand. There's definitely room to improve content discovery though - pulling the decent posts out to the surface.

You both seem to think it's either one or the other. I'm saying it can be both, and you decide which one you want.

In the case of a message with hundreds of replies, only the first x are displayed, with a button to display the next x should the user desire...

This works really well on a Q and A forum but not so well for a general discussion l.

Would people be in agreement that new members could not post in the ticketing sub forum until they have a proved to be a regular poster. Just always feel suspicious of poster opening accounts then asking for tickets.

Would people be in agreement that new members could not post in the ticketing sub forum until they have a proved to be a regular poster. Just always feel suspicious of poster opening accounts then asking for tickets.
Problem with that is, they'll just post in the Spurs forum. We created that sub forum to keep all the ticketing etc talk in there. Adding restrictions would just make them post it elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom