Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spurs v Nice underway. HT 0-0

Victory from @SpursOfficial the front to @ogcnice the end of the shoot! 0-0 ( tab: 3-2). @troyparrott9 gave victory to his team! #

DjH3QPhW4AMPvka.jpg

DjH3QPmW4AE60QA.jpg

DjHlGk3XoAEzv6h.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday 28 July
Pre-Season Friendly
Bury Town v Tottenham Hotspur Youth
HOME - Ram Meadow
Kick off: 15 00
Bury Town Football Club - Official Website of The Blues - Bury Town Football Club - Official Website of The Blues

I guess that about half Academy Year 2 squad will be available (ie not at u21 tournament or with first team) such as Tainio, Thorpe, Clarke, Richards, Pochettinio, Patterson plus all of Academy Year 1 other than Troy Parrott who is with u21's making a squad of about 15 excluding any of the u15's or u16's Spurs want to take along

Hard to disagree with the first bit - if we were still mid-table, we'd probably have 80% of the team from the Academy by now.

I come back to Josh and our favourite Sissoko.
I largely feel that this is a bit of an excuse and that we should still be able to bolster our squad with youth players rather than signing more established players on big wages who are ultimately no better or not much better.

I largely feel that this is a bit of an excuse and that we should still be able to bolster our squad with youth players rather than signing more established players on big wages who are ultimately no better or not much better.

If Dembele stays (which looks increasingly likely) and will not be able to play more than say 25% of matches at his top performances , given our 3 or 4 excess overseas trained players and lack of movement so far, I cannot see us buying another overseas trained player, and given injury worries over Winks and Wanyama we are either going to need to buy one or both of Grealish and or Cooke or another HG player - or rely upon Onomah, Amos, Oakley-Boothe or other academy player.

So maybe some hope - even though its caused by injuries and an odd TW which is different in UK to rest of Europe.

Not often mentioned, but how good are the development goalkeepers? It does worry me that we are using up home grown numbers on a goalie like Gazaniga. It’s rare that 3rd choice sees any action (Palace last year was his only league outing iirc) so it does slightly concern me that we may be lacking developmentally in that position?

I'd imagine the percentage of goalkeepers who make it from top club in England is relatively low anyway.

Though De Bie is supposed to be really highly rated, I believe.

Not often mentioned, but how good are the development goalkeepers? It does worry me that we are using up home grown numbers on a goalie like Gazaniga. It’s rare that 3rd choice sees any action (Palace last year was his only league outing iirc) so it does slightly concern me that we may be lacking developmentally in that position?

Currently the best Development Squad goalkeepers are (in no order) Alfie Whiteman and Brandon Austin (both with First Team in USA) and Jon De Bie, the first two are 19, the third a year younger. All three, I think, are very good but realistically a couple or few years away from becoming a no 3 GK at a PL club.

We have had one or two GK candidates in the past who I think were good enough to be a no 3 GK and possibly better, notably David Button who has played about 200 games for championship sides Brentford and Fulham and has just joined PL side Brighton as back up GK after being moved on from Spurs (allegedly against the advice of the then Spurs GK coach) aged 23/24 after a number of loans.

Agreed its nuts to use up an overseas trained player place on a no 3 GK - it would still make sense to buy 29 year old David Button back !

Saturday 28 July
Pre-Season Friendly
Bury Town v Tottenham Hotspur Youth
HOME - Ram Meadow
Kick off: 15 00
Bury Town Football Club - Official Website of The Blues - Bury Town Football Club - Official Website of The Blues

Slight change from that advertised on Bury Town's website !

First half action @BuryTownFC U18s v @THFC_Spurs U16spic.twitter.com/3oMQvqmlEY

DjM3QsSW4AA3I-u.jpg

DjM3QxEW4AE8LVS.jpg

DjM3QsPWsAAfkCW.jpg

DjM3QsRX0AAMMdO.jpg

Twitter coverage :
Login on Twitter

But no team sheets !

Lost 2-1 to a penalty scored in 5th minute of injury time

Last edited:
Slight change from that advertised on Bury Town's website !

First half action @BuryTownFC U18s v @THFC_Spurs U16spic.twitter.com/3oMQvqmlEY

DjM3QsSW4AA3I-u.jpg

DjM3QxEW4AE8LVS.jpg

DjM3QsPWsAAfkCW.jpg

DjM3QsRX0AAMMdO.jpg

Twitter coverage :
Login on Twitter

But no team sheets !
I was at the game today. Here are the team sheets:

iAs5M0E.jpg

Bit of an odd one for me today as I know a few of the Bury lads, so would have been happy with a draw. As it was, Bury claimed a 2-1 win. Despite the scoreline, Spurs absolutely dominated the game, with Eddie Carrington the standout player.

I was at the game today. Here are the team sheets:

iAs5M0E.jpg

Bit of an odd one for me today as I know a few of the Bury lads, so would have been happy with a draw. As it was, Bury claimed a 2-1 win. Despite the scoreline, Spurs absolutely dominated the game, with Eddie Carrington the standout player.

Great stuff.

Are you able to give any more detailed commentary on the match, the starting X1 or players that stood out for you ?

Great stuff.

Are you able to give any more detailed commentary on the match, the starting X1 or players that stood out for you ?
I'm not very familiar with these guys, so it took me a fair while to put some names to the faces. I couldn't give you a starting XI, but, aside from Eddie Carrington (who really was electric on the left wing), some other players who made an impression included Alex Gibson-Hammond, Sashon Aird-Munn and Zanda Siziba.

In terms of the way the game panned out, it was all Spurs, with Bury sitting deep, looking for the chance to counter.

Bury got a very early goal. I think it was from a free kick (I was chatting at the time) near the right edge of Spurs penalty area. The ball was whipped into the box and Spurs failed to deal with it.

Carrington down the left, and Siziba and Aird-Munn down the right caused all sorts of problems for Bury, but Spurs lacked composure in front of goal.

The second half followed a similar pattern. Bury's counter attacking strategy nearly paid off midway through the half when the Spurs keeper came rushing out but was beaten to the ball by the Bury attacker. He lobbed the ball over the keeper from 25yrds out, but it went just over.

Late in the game, Spurs won a free kick just outside the area. They asked if they could take a quick one, which the ref allowed; the ball was slotted through to a runner whilst Bury were still getting organised and he scored.

Cue much bitching from the Bury dugout. :)

Then, in the last minute or so, the Spurs keeper dropped a simple catch and a Bury player beat him to the loose ball. The keeper brought him down - penalty to Bury, which was converted.

The game finished moments later: 2-1

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with these guys, so it took me a fair while to put some names to the faces. I couldn't give you a starting XI, but, aside from Eddie Carrington (who really was electric on the left wing), some other players who made an impression included Alex Gibson-Hammond, Sashon Aird-Munn and Zanda Siziba.

In terms of the way the game panned out, it was all Spurs, with Bury sitting deep, looking for the chance to counter.

Bury got a very early goal. I think it was from a free kick (I was chatting at the time) near the right edge of Spurs penalty area. The ball was whipped into the box and Spurs failed to deal with it.

Carrington down the left, and Siziba and Aird-Munn down the right caused all sorts of problems for Bury, but Spurs lacked composure in front of goal.

The second half followed a similar pattern. Bury's counter attacking strategy nearly paid off midway through the half when the Spurs keeper came rushing out but was beaten to the ball by the Bury attacker. He lobbed the ball over the keeper from 25yrds out, but it went just over.

Late in the game, Spurs won a free kick just outside the area. They asked if they could take a quick one, which the ref allowed; the ball was slotted through to a runner whilst Bury were still getting organised and he scored.

Cue much bitching from the Bury dugout. :)

Then, in the last minute or so, the Spurs keeper dropped a simple catch and a Bury player beat him to the loose ball. The keeper brought him down - penalty to Bury, which was converted.

The game finished moments later: 2-1

Do you know how our goalkeeper (Lo Tutala) got on mate?

Do you know how our goalkeeper (Lo Tutala) got on mate?
Have a look at Bury Town's twatter feed (link above): if Lo Tutala is the keeper in the photo gallery, I'd say he had a mixed afternoon.

He dropped a catch he probably should have held, which led to him fouling the Bury forward for the late (and, ultimately, decisive) penalty. Earlier in the half, he rushed out to meet a long ball, but the Bury forward got there first and was unlucky to miss with his lob.

Other than that, he made a couple of decent, though pretty routine saves, but didn't really have that much to do due to Spurs having the bulk of possession.

That said, he appeared very comfortable with the ball at his feet and worked well with the defence when playing out from the back.

Sorry I can't offer more in depth analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom