U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be a tough match if its mainly the new Academy Year 2 side - might need a couple of older heads to help. Maybe the likes of Ogilvie and Harrison if Poch doesn't fancy them enough to take them away with the first team and probably wouldn't go to an u21 tournament ?

It is actually against a Spurs U16 side hence there being no information of the game from Spurs.

Best of luck to Scott Parker - but shame as he was only just starting to get his feet under the table.

We will undoubtedly require a replacement as we have lost quite a few very good youth coaches in recent years and its one area where you really want continuity as the lads progress through multiple years of the academy system as coaches knowing the lads inside out is essential to best develop them.

Was hoping he'd have stayed another season but all the best to him in his new role. Matt will be a good fit, was a good assistant under Ehiogu for the development squad and will know all the players very well having been there so long.

Was hoping he'd have stayed another season but all the best to him in his new role. Matt will be a good fit, was a good assistant under Ehiogu for the development squad and will know all the players very well having been there so long.

Yup Matt Wells has now been at Spurs for circa 4 or 5 years, and before that was at Nike where was coaching youth (as well as doing videos eg to help educate both his youngsters and maybe other coaches on various aspects) and before that was a technical development manager at Stevenage so he's got a lot going for him as a coach. Sadly his own career didn't go that far - think he retired injured in his early 20's only a couple of years after being released from Spurs Academy.

What I think may be lacking is the 'gravitas' of having achieved something and indeed lack of age (think he's now about 30 ish) - I always recall Alex Inglethorpe having both the maturity and the reputation of managing Exeter to a draw against a full strength ManU side which I think made the kids give him that much more respect and maybe willingness to learn which made him a great u18 coach. And from that point of view I think Spurs need to find additional youth coaches as we have lost a fair few in the last 5 years or so - ideally with both technical coaching skills as well as maturity and having achieved something in the game to inspire the kids - maybe in a couple of years that might be Ryan Mason for example.

But for now, a big welcome to Matt Wells as u18 coach and hope he is successful - and stays for a few years in that role !

Yup Matt Wells has now been at Spurs for circa 4 or 5 years, and before that was at Nike where was coaching youth (as well as doing videos eg to help educate both his youngsters and maybe other coaches on various aspects) and before that was a technical development manager at Stevenage so he's got a lot going for him as a coach. Sadly his own career didn't go that far - think he retired injured in his early 20's only a couple of years after being released from Spurs Academy.

What I think may be lacking is the 'gravitas' of having achieved something and indeed lack of age (think he's now about 30 ish) - I always recall Alex Inglethorpe having both the maturity and the reputation of managing Exeter to a draw against a full strength ManU side which I think made the kids give him that much more respect and maybe willingness to learn which made him a great u18 coach. And from that point of view I think Spurs need to find additional youth coaches as we have lost a fair few in the last 5 years or so - ideally with both technical coaching skills as well as maturity and having achieved something in the game to inspire the kids - maybe in a couple of years that might be Ryan Mason for example.

But for now, a big welcome to Matt Wells as u18 coach and hope he is successful - and stays for a few years in that role !

Rafa Van Der Vaart is retiring me thinks

From what I understand it's there first team versus our U16's. But I could be wrong. A big physical test to say the least...

U16's sounds a bit of a mismatch.

Our u23's play in the Checkatrade trophy and its clearly a struggle for our lads playing a 'mans team'. I know Bury Town are a level or two below the Checkatrade teams but.....

That's why I suggested if we sent an Academy Year 2 side we might put a couple of older players in the side.

I guess we'll see though

Going to be interesting to see who's in the US squad.

The 'core' 16 man squad is :
GK's - Vorm, Gazanigga
CB's - Foyth, Carter-Vickers
FB's - Aurier, Walker-Peters, Davies
CM's - Wanyama, Winks, Onomah
AM's - Sissoko, Moura, Lamela, N’Koudou,
Fwds - Janssen, Llorente

Eriksen and Sanchez will be in US but post world cup with less than a week of pre-season each I can't see them playing a lot. Our other 9 or 10 world cup stars will be on post world cup rests, not sure about Son as he is going to the Asian Games in August.

But of these will the likes of Janssen, Llorente and N'Koudou still be with Spurs ?

There might be one or two acquisitions in by then - but having hardly met the other players it won't necessarily be an easy start for them.

So will Poch favour taking the most experienced Development players not leaving, simply because the 'core squad' is pretty thin, such as :

GK's - Whiteman, Austin
Defenders - Tanganga (but maybe called up for E u19's which overlaps the US tour), Dinzeyi
CM's - Amos, Oakley-Boothe
AM's - Georgiou, Shashoua, Edwards
Fwds - Sterling, Griffiths (?).

Will be take a few youngsters like Skipp, Hinds and others simply to give them more experience.

Introducing our new Under-18s players

Polish youth international keeper Kacper Kurylowicz comes through the doors with centre-backs Malachi Walcott and Luis Banks, plus full-back Dennis Cirkin, all of whom have represented England at youth level. Luis has also been capped by Scotland while Dennis has made one appearance for Latvia.

Harvey White made his debut in the Under-18 Premier League towards the end of last season and he is joined by fellow midfielders Chay Cooper, a Harlow-born attack-minded player who enjoyed success at short- and long-distance running as a schoolboy, and Rafferty Pedder, who operates in the centre of the park.

Fast-paced winger J’Neil Bennett stepped up to make 14 appearances for our Under-18s last season, including three starts in the FA Youth Cup, and will hope to offer support to strikers Troy Parrott, a Republic of Ireland Under-17 international, and Enock Asante, who was a 400m and 800m champion in school.

As predicted, towards the end of April with Pedder who was injured for most of last season also making the cut. Maybe a typo above - Luis Binks rather than Luis Banks.

Last edited:
Another of the players we released at end of June, Christian Maghoma, came on as a sub in the 60th minute for his new club Arka Gdynia in the Polish Supercup, which they won beating league winners Legia Warsaw 3-2. Not the jighest rated of leagues but still a decent achievement

Most countries have announced their u19 squads - all have not included many of their top players as the timing coincides with pre-season when many of that age group might be expected to be included in first team squads. A number of clubs have made that point very clearly to uefa suggesting that uefa should have had an u17 tournament at this time of year and the u19 tournament at another time.

I understand the FA have had more than 20 withdrawals from the E u19 squad for that reason (ie almost a whole squad) - however it seems Spurs have nor withdrawn Japhat Tanganga (CB/LB) who has been seen training with England - great shame as with so many WC players away this pre season would be an ideal time to train with the weakened first team squad in US and even get some game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom