Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't buy into the "teams don't know who to target when Kane isn't playing" theory. Surely if you believe that you believe that for teams to stop Spurs they only have to stop Kane? And if our opposition build their game plans around Kane why is it Kane and not our other players who get us over the line so consistently?

Doesn't make any sense as a theory - can't imagine Real Madrid or Barca fans making a similar statement about Ronaldo or Messi.
so who do you target - Sonny? Alli? Eriksen? Lamela? This season whilst we have got options all over the pitch, our main route is fundamentally to get it to Harry because he is the main supply of goals. Crowd out Harry and then sit deep is the tactic (see Juve for example)

Without him, teams don't know who to crowd out as the next tier of goals (Sonny/Alli/Lamela/Eriksen) you have equal goal threat, and they are likely to be running at you in twos or threes

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying we would be a greater goal threat without him - not a chance. But defenders will be more likely to face more split second indecisiveness over who to go with, whereas when Harry's on the pitch it will be "x or x/y go with him, and z go with the other guy and force him wide or into a low percentage" and they respond instantly to that

The difference will likely be a lower number of chances, simply because Harry creates a ridiculous amout of shooting chances that wouldn't be a shooting chance to anyone else

so who do you target - Sonny? Alli? Eriksen? Lamela? This season whilst we have got options all over the pitch, our main route is fundamentally to get it to Harry because he is the main supply of goals. Crowd out Harry and then sit deep is the tactic (see Juve for example)

Without him, teams don't know who to crowd out as the next tier of goals (Sonny/Alli/Lamela/Eriksen) you have equal goal threat, and they are likely to be running at you in twos or threes

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying we would be a greater goal threat without him - not a chance. But defenders will be more likely to face more split second indecisiveness over who to go with, whereas when Harry's on the pitch it will be "x or x/y go with him, and z go with the other guy and force him wide or into a low percentage" and they respond instantly to that

The difference will likely be a lower number of chances, simply because Harry creates a ridiculous amout of shooting chances that wouldn't be a shooting chance to anyone else

Your whole argument is based on the misconception that teams have to target one player - they don't. As a team we are easier to play against without Kane because, as you pointed out, he makes a lot of chances his replacements won't.

Also, because Kane is capable of playing with his back to goal better than any of our other players he brings the others you mention into play more - making them more of a threat. Without Kane our style of play has to change too, so to suggest it will only be our opponents who have to adapt is a nonsense.

Because Kane is so good with his back to goal defenders have to be weary of him turning them, this in turn makes them defend narrower because someone has to get the cover on, just in case Harry beats his marker. He tends to deal with this pretty well, but would Sonny, for example?

On Sunday our opponents were not expecting a team without Kane and we had the element of surprise. That has gone and teams will set up differently now we do not have him. I am surprised that other agencies are not really quoting the Mirror story. Kane himself has not tweeted anything, possibly because he does not know for sure. We will find out more when Poch is questioned at the press conference for Saturday. assume that is tomorrow

Your whole argument is based on the misconception that teams have to target one player

Do you know what - it's just an internet forum pissing into the wind - could have worded that slightly less patronisingly, couldn't ya?

Fundamentally, none of us know how we will set up, how long we are missing him for, and how oppos will set up. My belief is that teams are so used to seeing how we play with him, and have built strategies to cope with that, that they may not have thought or prepared for what we look like without - the longer we are without, the greater chance they catch on (although with only just over 1 game a week between now and the end of season, our players are less likely to burn out)

I do believe that we are stronger now than we were 18 months or even 12 months ago, and that we can cope for a short period without Harry - no where near ideal, but not fatal either

Let's hope Salah and Aguero both suffer a goal drought for the rest of the season =)

Just seen the post about his injury, not as bad as I thought, let's hope he is back and firing before the end of the season, golden boot and fa cup winners medal.

Ambiguous could mean April 30
Sprain ankle grade 1 by the sounds 2-4 weeks before training.
You could see it was swollen when he came of the pitch
Unless he had extra strapping around that ankle.
If so it could have prevented any more damage.

Pretty good news in my opinion. The club never release statements like this and the fact they have makes me feel they are quite happy with what they saw. Back in first team training for April means he should be available for the run-in, an FA cup final (fingers crossed we get there) and of course the world cup.

Alasdair Gold also reporting it is the same as the Millwall injury (4 weeks out) rather than the Sunderland one (6 weeks out).

Back
Top Bottom