Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Woolwich fans on Wednesday - “Spurs only beat Madrid and drew in Juve because they’re not the teams they used to be.

Woolwich fans on Thursday - “What a result, beating Milan in the San Siro!”

Agree, it would give a feeling of progression . Not sure if we are desperate but it would be very nice to achieve .

No we aren’t desperate. That’s the repeated media narrative doing its job when we start saying that.

Far more important to get CL football next season and give this squad the chance to have another go at that.

FA Cup winners of last 10 years include Portsmouth and Wigan....... are we desperate to equal their achievements?

Suppose it proved their players were all world class anyway and “winners” in the eyes of the media

:dembelelol:

Continuous improvement is what's needed. It's silly to dismiss trophies because the likes of Portsmouth and Wigan have won them. The next step for any club wanting to move onto the elite is trophies. It's simply stupid to think otherwise

How can we be an elite club with zero trophies in the cabinet? What's elite about that? The rule of thumb is that continuous improvement will see us win a trophy.

2014-15
Finished 5th
Final of League Cup
Knocked out 4th round of FA Cup
Round of 32 in Europa League

2015-16
Finished 3rd
Third round of League Cup
Knocked out 5th round of FA Cup
Round of 16 in Europa League
Improvement

2016-17
Finished 2nd
Fourth round of League Cup
Semi Final of FA Cup
Knocked out in Group Stage on Champions League
Improvement

2017-18
4th in the League*
Quarter finals of FA Cup*
Round of 16 in the Champions League

So far I'd say improvement. Leagues top five is all round stronger this year I'd say and we still have the chance to finish 2nd. Not done any worse in the League Cup, we're one game away from equalling the semi final of last year in the FA Cup and we obliterated last years Champions League run.

How do we improve next season? Further in the league cup whilst maintaining our progress in the other cups? Perhaps an FA Cup win? Further in the Champions League? Mount a title challenge?

What a shit day it has been. I was left heartbroken last night. I felt if I had stayed in the stadium any longer than I did then I could have shed a tear.

I was on the tube thinking to myself that I have nothing to be angry about. Nothing to be ashamed about. Nothing to be disappointed about. Every player gave a good account of themselves.

I have heard people slag off Poch and the players but I can honestly say I wouldn't swap any of them.

We have so much to be thankful for. Our club is special for so many reasons.

Listening to Son after the game ripped my heart out. It was upsetting to see how down he was.

Today has been tough. To listen to the shit the media have come out with. To listen to the cunts in the BT Sport studio last night. To listen to Jason Cundy suggest that Dembele isn't a player. To listen to Durham talk shit has been tough. What I find worse is how some of our fan base look to the negative.

All I want to say is that I love being Spurs. The morning of yesterday I got a bit emotional thinking of my Grandad who is the reason I'm Spurs. How he would have loved to be part of last night. I thought how exciting it will be to introduce my 3 year old son to Spurs in a few years time.

Last night hurt. It still hurts now. It will hurt for sometime. But. Remember the reasons why you support our club. You will realise that last nights defeat doesn't really matter. We are bigger than this defeat and we have so much more to be proud of.

What a time to be a Spurs fan.

Continuous improvement is what's needed. It's silly to dismiss trophies because the likes of Portsmouth and Wigan have won them. The next step for any club wanting to move onto the elite is trophies. It's simply stupid to think otherwise

How can we be an elite club with zero trophies in the cabinet? What's elite about that? The rule of thumb is that continuous improvement will see us win a trophy.

2014-15
Finished 5th
Final of League Cup
Knocked out 4th round of FA Cup
Round of 32 in Europa League

2015-16
Finished 3rd
Third round of League Cup
Knocked out 5th round of FA Cup
Round of 16 in Europa League
Improvement

2016-17
Finished 2nd
Semi Final of FA Cup
Knocked out in Group Stage on Champions League
Improvement

2017-18
4th in the League*
Quarter finals of FA Cup*
Round of 16 in the Champions League

So far I'd say improvement. Leagues top five is all round stronger this year I'd say and we still have the chance to finish 2nd. Not done any worse in the League Cup, we're one game away from equalling the semi final of last year in the FA Cup and we obliterated last years Champions League run.

How do we improve next season? Further in the league cup whilst maintaining our progress in the other cups? Perhaps an FA Cup win? Further in the Champions League? Mount a title challenge?

Winning an FA cup won’t make us “elite”. Arguably elite can only come about over a sustained time period.

In which case regularly playing in the CL will generate money that can be used to fund player purchases that enable said trophies to be won.

In English football who are the elite we are aiming to join? Woolwich? Is that what elite looks like?

I’d love us to win a trophy but this season I think CL qualification is more important by far. So I’m not desperate to win the FA cup which is the point I replied to.

But in your eyes if that’s simply stupid thinking on my part then so be it.

Winning an FA cup won’t make us “elite”. Arguably elite can only come about over a sustained time period.

In which case regularly playing in the CL will generate money that can be used to fund player purchases that enable said trophies to be won.

In English football who are the elite we are aiming to join? Woolwich? Is that what elite looks like?

I’d love us to win a trophy but this season I think CL qualification is more important by far. So I’m not desperate to win the FA cup which is the point I replied to.

But in your eyes if that’s simply stupid thinking on my part then so be it.

Trophies make us elite. The FA Cup is the start. Once we've got over that edge of being the "nearly men" and we've finally got the job done. We go from there. The player have the taste of winning something, feeling like all that hard work has come good.

Generating money is ultimately the key. But if we were to finish 4th every single season, get Champions League and then not win anything from there on out. Where's the improvement? Sure, we'd have alot more money but we'd be Woolwich.

We are aiming to join elite clubs. The elite clubs in the Premier League are Chelsea and United. Numerous cups, finals and European Cup wins between them. Money obviously a big factor in alot of that but they have the right attitude, the right mentality going into big games, they KNOW how to get the job done.

Again, qualifying for the CL is great and in terms of progress in stature, it will work wonders - but to continuously dismiss this teams need for trophies in favour of CL qualification is stupid. It's not one or the other, it's continous progress which sees us qualify for the CL and compete within other trophies. Like I said, you cannot name an Elite Club in European Football that hasn't won a trophy in 10 years.

No we aren’t desperate. That’s the repeated media narrative doing its job when we start saying that.

Far more important to get CL football next season and give this squad the chance to have another go at that.

FA Cup winners of last 10 years include Portsmouth and Wigan....... are we desperate to equal their achievements?

Suppose it proved their players were all world class anyway and “winners” in the eyes of the media

:dembelelol:
Realistically we were never going to win the CL. Realistically we can win the FAC. The Italians questioned our mental strength. Winning the FAC could make us turn the corner for good in that respect . Start believing we can get the result when it matters.

Winning domestic cups does not make you 'elite' .... can anyone (without looking) name the winners of the domestic cups around Europe in the last five years?
Playing in the CL and winning our Domestic title that's what makes you 'elite' ....
Not belittling the FA Cup, and like all fans I want a trophy just to shut the feckin' media up, but winning the FA Cup and missing out on the CL would be a huge step backwards .... just look at the Nomads ....

Last edited:
Apologies to people who made intelligent, reasoned comments, but I haven't got the time or the inclination to read them all.
We didn't disgrace ourselves, just paid the ultimate penalty for taking our eye off the ball. One goal from 20 shots is not a great return, but we deserved so much more. Still, that's football, don't always get what you deserve.
We have to accept that Juve are so much more experienced at this level of Champions' League competition. Hopefully, we will have learned some lessons, and we will take these forward into next year (fingers and everything else crossed).
Don't really want to say more, as still a bit upset, but realistically, we weren't expected to progress this far in the CL. But it hurts how the game turned so quickly. Just hope that it doesn't derail the rest of our season.
We did the Spurs tour around Wembley this afternoon. Obviously it was a little flat due to the result, but enjoyable all the same. You get the chance to walk up the stairs to the Royal Box, and have a photo with a replica of the FA Cup. I declined, as 1) I didn't want to jinx us actually winning it and 2) I already have one with the real thing!

Apologies to people who made intelligent, reasoned comments, but I haven't got the time or the inclination to read them all.
We didn't disgrace ourselves, just paid the ultimate penalty for taking our eye off the ball. One goal from 20 shots is not a great return, but we deserved so much more. Still, that's football, don't always get what you deserve.
We have to accept that Juve are so much more experienced at this level of Champions' League competition. Hopefully, we will have learned some lessons, and we will take these forward into next year (fingers and everything else crossed).
Don't really want to say more, as still a bit upset, but realistically, we weren't expected to progress this far in the CL. But it hurts how the game turned so quickly. Just hope that it doesn't derail the rest of our season.
We did the Spurs tour around Wembley this afternoon. Obviously it was a little flat due to the result, but enjoyable all the same. You get the chance to walk up the stairs to the Royal Box, and have a photo with a replica of the FA Cup. I declined, as 1) I didn't want to jinx us actually winning it and 2) I already have one with the real thing!

Oddly enough, the lasting image I will take away from this competition is Chiellini and Buffon roaring at each other after the former intercepted a potential Kane header.

They showed it in slow motion. Pure passion and intensity from two of the great players of the game. They looked like they were in a war. I don’t care what Chiellini said later, that moment was the definitive mark of respect towards us. In that one moment it showed how good they thought we were, how much of a hurdle they knew they had to overcome, and how focussed they needed to be in order to triumph. Raw emotion that only comes from the highest level of respect.

We pushed one of the best teams in Europe to that level of intensity. That says a huge amount about us, and we should recognise and be proud of that. They had to fight tooth and nail to win. About as far from a ‘bottle job’ as is physically possible.

What a shit day it has been. I was left heartbroken last night. I felt if I had stayed in the stadium any longer than I did then I could have shed a tear.

I was on the tube thinking to myself that I have nothing to be angry about. Nothing to be ashamed about. Nothing to be disappointed about. Every player gave a good account of themselves.

I have heard people slag off Poch and the players but I can honestly say I wouldn't swap any of them.

We have so much to be thankful for. Our club is special for so many reasons.

Listening to Son after the game ripped my heart out. It was upsetting to see how down he was.

Today has been tough. To listen to the shit the media have come out with. To listen to the cunts in the BT Sport studio last night. To listen to Jason Cundy suggest that Dembele isn't a player. To listen to Durham talk shit has been tough. What I find worse is how some of our fan base look to the negative.

All I want to say is that I love being Spurs. The morning of yesterday I got a bit emotional thinking of my Grandad who is the reason I'm Spurs. How he would have loved to be part of last night. I thought how exciting it will be to introduce my 3 year old son to Spurs in a few years time.

Last night hurt. It still hurts now. It will hurt for sometime. But. Remember the reasons why you support our club. You will realise that last nights defeat doesn't really matter. We are bigger than this defeat and we have so much more to be proud of.

What a time to be a Spurs fan.
Thanks for this post. It sums up how I feel to a tee. Excellent

Oddly enough, the lasting image I will take away from this competition is Chiellini and Buffon roaring at each other after the former intercepted a potential Kane header.

They showed it in slow motion. Pure passion and intensity from two of the great players of the game. They looked like they were in a war. I don’t care what Chiellini said later, that moment was the definitive mark of respect towards us. In that one moment it showed how good they thought we were, how much of a hurdle they knew they had to overcome, and how focussed they needed to be in order to triumph. Raw emotion that only comes from the highest level of respect.

We pushed one of the best teams in Europe to that level of intensity. That says a huge amount about us, and we should recognise and be proud of that. They had to fight tooth and nail to win. About as far from a ‘bottle job’ as is physically possible.

This stuck with me too. Respect for us, yes, and also a demonstration of the kind of all-consuming hunger that characterizes success at the highest level. We were the better side in almost every respect, but still something to be learned.

PSG have spent close to a billion and have not gone close.

Woolwich were in the thing for years and zip.

The competition is damn hard and we got undone but we remain unbowed.

What we need and all we need to do now is forget the analysis of what cannot be changed and show that it was a 3 minute blip, significant but not terminal.

Sunday gives us the chance to make Chelsea's life very difficult but it is also a key step in ensuring we keep the solidly built nucleus.

My chest is out and my head is up.

Simplistic to say 'three minute blip' especially in this tie.

Missed penalty in the first leg, Jan very lucky not to get a penalty called against him and failure in front of goal over and over again by us.

We have a young team void of any success whatsoever, and i truly feel a more experienced player with a winners medal or two would help.

Not disappointed but we will i feel be the bridesmaids for some time to come, but i am really pleased with our overall season given where we play and the massive monetary difference that we will never compete with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom