Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Weird thing to say after we beat 2 tough teams easily in the group this year. Was far greater motivation having them in our group than the shite we had last year.

I'm not sure how having an apparently easy group had any bearing on what clubs the other English teams drew in the round of 16. There was a fairly even spread of the best teams across those that finished 1st and 2nd in their groups, so it's really just luck of the draw.
I know it was luck of the draw but many on this forum were saying they wanted to play a top team but that would happen eventually but better to progress against a lesser team than go out before the quarter final. After all we wanted to win the group to hope to get an easier tie and got Juventus, last season's finalists.
As to the group stages if we have an easier group then qualifying is more likely and we can do some rotation which helps in the Premiership.

also...
lets not forget we are still CL new boys.
The classic "top 4" have been almost ever present in the CL for 20 years, just 4 trophies between them in that time......in 2010/11 we were smashed by Madrid, last year we were terrible, this season we smashed the group and were very competitive against a "european giant" in Juventus.
if we are in the CL every season for the next 20 years and haven't won in then the term bottlers can be used.

Do you mean like a certain club from South London?

Ugh man.

Lost for words. This one hurts a lot.

Feels like we get so close to breaking through and taking the next step and somehow fuck it up.

Ugh man.

Lost for words. This one hurts a lot.

Feels like we get so close to breaking through and taking the next step and somehow fuck it up.
Last year was far more painful. Nothing worse watching your team get outplayed and unable to compete. Losing to BVB the previous year in EL was also hugely disappointing as I wanted to see how good we were against the bigger teams (yes I know we also fielded a weekend side but the feeling was still the same) when you witness that you are not as good as perhaps you thought you were is far worse IMO.

I was pissed off because just like the Chelsea FA Cup semi-final we were by far the better team and to lose an important high profile game whilst being the better side is hard to deal with. But even at the end of the game I was proud of this team, it was the bigger emotion of the two (disappointment vs Pride). We played the very best in Europe throughout our entire CL campaign and lost one game in the process, to a European giant.

We have nothing to fear next year, moreover we will be the team to fear, they will be audible sighs by any opposing team that draws our name out of the hat. How would you feel to draw Juve again, scared or brilliant can't wait? I'm the latter, I also think Juve wouldn't be punching the air with joy, deep down they know they were lucky to get past us, however much they want to reflect they know they were outplayed, and we know we outplayed them.

So I've seen us prove our credentials, I know we are competitive, our opponents know we are competitive. In contrast take a look at Utd. does any team really fear them in the CL? Have their performances against easier opponents convinced anyone that they are competitive? Chelsea? They look as though they are digging deep just to nick a draw and have been outplayed a couple of times. Liverpool haven't played anyone of note yet and apart from the mighty Maribor have struggled in games.

Can't wait for next year.

Last year was far more painful. Nothing worse watching your team get outplayed and unable to compete. Losing to BVB the previous year in EL was also hugely disappointing as I wanted to see how good we were against the bigger teams (yes I know we also fielded a weekend side but the feeling was still the same) when you witness that you are not as good as perhaps you thought you were is far worse IMO.

I was pissed off because just like the Chelsea FA Cup semi-final we were by far the better team and to lose an important high profile game whilst being the better side is hard to deal with. But even at the end of the game I was proud of this team, it was the bigger emotion of the two (disappointment vs Pride). We played the very best in Europe throughout our entire CL campaign and lost one game in the process, to a European giant.

We have nothing to fear next year, moreover we will be the team to fear, they will be audible sighs by any opposing team that draws our name out of the hat. How would you feel to draw Juve again, scared or brilliant can't wait? I'm the latter, I also think Juve wouldn't be punching the air with joy, deep down they know they were lucky to get past us, however much they want to reflect they know they were outplayed, and we know we outplayed them.

So I've seen us prove our credentials, I know we are competitive, our opponents know we are competitive. In contrast take a look at Utd. does any team really fear them in the CL? Have their performances against easier opponents convinced anyone that they are competitive? Chelsea? They look as though they are digging deep just to nick a draw and have been outplayed a couple of times. Liverpool haven't played anyone of note yet and apart from the mighty Maribor have struggled in games.

Can't wait for next year.
Damned fine post sir!

So we would have drawn Real Madrid in the QF.
Apoel Dortmund, Real, Juve and the Real again.
Talk about doing it the hard way.
The. 10/11 campaign would have seen us face Barca in the semis if we’d have beaten Real Madrid in the QF

So it is Real, Roma, Bayern and Liverpool. Would have really fancied us against Roma, Bayern and Liverpool and we already beat Real. That 10 minutes of madness has really cost us. The only saving grace is Poch always seems to identify these weaknesses and make sure they never happen again

Back
Top Bottom