Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Go over to Spurs Community if you want omnipotent moderators who go around banning and warning posters for saying anything slightly controversial
I know, I was banned from shelfsidespurs because power hungry pathetic moderator said this: "
You have been banned for the following reason: Too many times you’ve constantly moaned and groaned.
Have a break until the new year, if you come back and do the same thing you’ll be gone permanently Your ban will be lifted on Dec 31, 2017."
I didn't bother.

Spot on. I was saying to the lad next to me that we were on very dangerous ground having got the goal. As daft as that may sound, we did not get the second goal that would have finished them off completely. They played by the minute & hung in there when they were on the ropes. Having conceded, we should have taken a few minutes to steady the ship. They went up a gear for a couple of minutes (which is all they had in the tank by then imo) while we were reeling instead of composing ourselves, and boom. They’ve got their second. After that, they went back into their shells. What pissed me off more than the Juve fans who had managed to get tickets in a home section, was the nasty off the ball spoiling shit that we all absolutely knew would happen if they got their noses in front. They took us too lightly at their place & we steam rollered them to the point that they couldn’t get into the game. It was never going to happen again last night.

I am proud that we didn’t abandon our principles and played football for 90 minutes in the teeth of some very underhand behaviour that typifies Italian football.

My only gripe is leaving the Llorente substitution until the 86th minute. He had no time to get properly into the match & whilst there were a couple of knock downs from him, I wish we had changed it up a bit earlier.
And I wish we had used Moura after we had gone behind. There wasn’t much tactically wrong up to then, but absolutely having to score meant that we should have given fresh legs as long as possible to impact on the game. Not 4 minutes plus injury time.
I still can't fault how we approached the game, Poch didn't change a thing in Turin and was hailed. He didn't change a thing in Turin because he trusts the side he picked and his trust was rewarded. Last night he did the same, stayed with the team, trusted them. Bringing Llorente earlier I don't think would have changed anything, it hasn't once since we have brought him off the bench so far, so nothing to suggest that it would again, also do it too early at the expense of a defence minded player and that just increases the chances for Juve, especially when the tactic is to go direct to him, it means you lose control of the ball with every defended or incomplete cross makes them more of a threat on the counter.

As with Moura the question mark around him is his work without the ball and in a game against Juve's quality without the ball you need to be very, very good. That said, I would have gone with him rather than Llorente as I just don't like us lumping the ball aimlessly into the box against a well marshalled defence and one of the best keepers in the World, would put my money on Moura getting behind them with his dribbling, they certainly couldn't cope with Son, to have two players running at them would I think have created bigger problems for them.

I still can't fault how we approached the game, Poch didn't change a thing in Turin and was hailed. He didn't change a thing in Turin because he trusts the side he picked and his trust was rewarded. Last night he did the same, stayed with the team, trusted them. Bringing Llorente earlier I don't think would have changed anything, it hasn't once since we have brought him off the bench so far, so nothing to suggest that it would again, also do it too early at the expense of a defence minded player and that just increases the chances for Juve, especially when the tactic is to go direct to him, it means you lose control of the ball with every defended or incomplete cross makes them more of a threat on the counter.

As with Moura the question mark around him is his work without the ball and in a game against Juve's quality without the ball you need to be very, very good. That said, I would have gone with him rather than Llorente as I just don't like us lumping the ball aimlessly into the box against a well marshalled defence and one of the best keepers in the World, would put my money on Moura getting behind them with his dribbling, they certainly couldn't cope with Son, to have two players running at them would I think have created bigger problems for them.

But we didn’t even do that (lumping the ball into the box) enough
When we did Llorente won a few and caused problems but Moura should have come on instead of Lamela as I believe he would have caused their tiring defence more problems

Love Coco BTW

Can we not post talkshite on this board it's like a venereal disease no one wants to see it
Agree - that station is the source of 21h Spurs vitriol/Break up the team/sell them all (3h of Danny Kelly is alway intelligent and worth listening to)

Plus as documented on his thread he is a gooner cunt, so should be ignored

Let’s see where we stand end of season, not start of March

I don't think anyone's acting as if we would of won if Rose was on the pitch, the prime Rose of 2016 though yes maybe but who knows?
It's worth remembering he's been through a long period of injury and to call him crap is going way to far.
Rose in his prime was over a year ago, so it's as pointless as saying if we had Gazza from 1989 we'd be better off.

Funny how Davies has practically played all season but every time we lose a game "the full backs aren't good enough"

He was good enough when we went 17 unbeaten and when we won the CL group though...

They are out in force, all over the place, legions of them dancing with joy at our defeat. It's quite striking just how hated we are these days. All that, along with Chiellini's comments, will hopefully make the team angry and focused on hitting back, hard. A lot of people want us to fail, to be found out and put back in our place. We have to show them that it will go very definitely the other way.

But we didn’t even do that (lumping the ball into the box) enough
When we did Llorente won a few and caused problems but Moura should have come on instead of Lamela as I believe he would have caused their tiring defence more problems

Love Coco BTW
It's all if's and buts, everyone replaying a game in cheat mode as they can see their two attacks in advance and would therefore do x, y, z instead is utterly pointless.

Actually Davies can and has been. Davies only inability is to go outside of his man.

Yes so by not going outside the man he is restricted on his crossing so what’s the point

In that second half we needed someone to go down the flanks on the outside as they packed the middle

We didn’t have anyone so kept cutting inside right into their hands
Even Sonny was drawn in contrasting the first half where he played out wide causing them major problems which they tried to remedy by hacking him down or stamping on him

I’m still furious at the ref letting them get away with murder

:parker:

Rose in his prime was over a year ago, so it's as pointless as saying if we had Gazza from 1989 we'd be better off.

Funny how Davies has practically played all season but every time we lose a game "the full backs aren't good enough"

He was good enough when we went 17 unbeaten and when we won the CL group though...
He was actually fantastic last night, well worthy of his selection. Rose hasn't shown anything of the form this year to warrant being selected ahead of Davies last night.

It’s a classic case of lose a game of football (which we do rarely but people still upset), look around the team for a reason why, pick alleged weakest player and blame them, same old story

Oh Poch should have bought Lamela on 180 seconds before, then we would have beaten Juventus

When people are looking this hard, in this much detail we know we are competing and doing really well, I remember celebrating when we sold half the squad things were so shit!!

It's all if's and buts, everyone replaying a game in cheat mode as they can see their two attacks in advance and would therefore do x, y, z instead is utterly pointless.

Not pointless as this is a forum so let’s debate ifs and buts

:harryhmm:

Liverpool Fan here....
A case in point was in the 2nd half I remember Higuain smashing the ball into the crowd, he looked dejected, the crowd wolf whistled him yet one of your players patted him on the back as though to console him. You cant do that, the game is not won, you should be on edge, he should have been mouthing to him that hes shit to bring him down even more.

He then scored a few minutes after moment. But that pat on the back was a moment that stuck in my mind for some reason as it almost felt you became too relaxed. I was thinking why are you consoling him, at the time.
That's a really good point about mentality, you're right, it probably did send the wrong signal....

As for the fouling, dirty, cheating tactics, thats European football for you, theres no point complaining as you have to expect it. Its part of the whole experience. We've seen it all over the years. You have to give it back.

Son was your best player on the night they couldnt handle him and so kept trying to foul him and rough him up.

At the end of the day whilst some are consoling yourself that you had a good run, I think its underplaying your hand a bit, really you should be at the top table in the last 8 because I thought you were better than Juventus.
But why shoul it? ...after all, sexual assault and intimidation was part and parcel of the Hollywood/Film industry for decades...
Doesn't mean we should all just accept/ignore and just go along with it.

Dispicable, snide behaviour - in whatever industry; Sport, Film, Politics - needs to be eradicated, not accepted as 'just one of those things' that we should expect, and certainly not rewarded with success!

Yes so by not going outside the man he is restricted on his crossing so what’s the point

In that second half we needed someone to go down the flanks on the outside as they packed the middle

We didn’t have anyone so kept cutting inside right into their hands
Even Sonny was drawn in contrasting the first half where he played out wide causing them major problems which they tried to remedy by hacking him down or stamping on him

I’m still furious at the ref letting them get away with murder

:parker:
I don't think the ref had a great game but he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head so don't blame him for not seeing the stamp, it was done because the ref was looking the other way around.

Davies is excellent at creating opportunities by going inside, as he was last night. Our plan however was to overload the right hand side of the pitch, this was our focus and through Son it largely worked, whilst we do that, Davies was always available on his own on staying wide on the left. I like this.

We also won 11 or 12 in a row with Davies last season and went on to our highest ever PL finish.....not good enough though
When Rose is fit and at his best, which also means his mind is on Tottenham Hotspur and playing for the shirt he wears, he is better than Davies. But I would caveat that with, "was" better than Davies. Davies has improved, just as Rose had improved, so their levels are certainly closer. So the question is, is a fully committed Davies better than a non-committed Rose?

Back
Top Bottom