Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I the only one that thinks he should have a part to play on Saturday? Him and eriksen feeding Kane has got to mean goals. I know it was only Newport but his technique and passing were some of the best I've seen in ages.

He also really helps us press from the front effectively, which will be important against their shakey defence.

Just a thought. . . :lamelaaghh:

Would rather have him start at Juve - his time at Roma could come in handy.

It’s a nice problem to have though isn’t it.

No matter which 3 of 5 we pick (Moura, Ericsson, Lamela, Alli, Son) then it looks good.

If you search "potential" in this thread then it yields 9 pages of results. I don't think you can continue to use such a word for a player who is 26 in a few weeks. For context, when Lamela joined, Harry Kane had made one sub appearance and think of all he has done in that time and is 16 months younger than him. Dele Alli is about the same age now as when Lamela joined and think all he has done up to this point, the point from which Lamela started. With Dele, we can still talk about potential but with a near 26 year old? Eriksen and Son are players we once talked about with potential but we don't anymore because they have fullfilled it. Lamela as an option in important games ahead Eriksen, Dele or Son? Absolutely no chance and it's ridiculous to say anything he does in a home game against a League 2 team should put him ahead of the likes of those 3. Over 50% percent of his 20 goals have come in either Europa League group games or early round domestic cup games against lower tier opposition. For contrast, around 85% of Eriksen's goals have either been in the PL, CL or later rounds of the Europa league/domestic cups.

If you search "potential" in this thread then it yields 9 pages of results. I don't think you can continue to use such a word for a player who is 26 in a few weeks. For context, when Lamela joined, Harry Kane had made one sub appearance and think of all he has done in that time and is 16 months younger than him. Dele Alli is about the same age now as when Lamela joined and think all he has done up to this point, the point from which Lamela started. With Dele, we can still talk about potential but with a near 26 year old? Eriksen and Son are players we once talked about with potential but we don't anymore because they have fullfilled it. Lamela as an option in important games ahead Eriksen, Dele or Son? Absolutely no chance and it's ridiculous to say anything he does in a home game against a League 2 team should put him ahead of the likes of those 3. Over 50% percent of his 20 goals have come in either Europa League group games or early round domestic cup games against lower tier opposition. For contrast, around 85% of Eriksen's goals have either been in the PL, CL or later rounds of the Europa league/domestic cups.

Have to respectfully disagree mate. First of all I never even used the word "potential", and I'm the one who made the suggestion to drop someone, so I'm assuming your post was aimed at me!

Second, Dele has not been at his best this season and to compare him to lamela after a 14 month lay off when we were a totally different team back then isn't really fair. Dele is my favourite player when he is on song, but lamela deserves a run in the team if any of the 3 behind Kane aren't pulling their weight.

In fact I would love to see dele moved next to wanyama sometimes, which would open up a space for Erik. Anyway i think the NLD is to early to start changing it up, but if Erik continues his from he deserves a run.

In fact I would love to see dele moved next to wanyama sometimes, which would open up a space for Erik. Anyway i think the NLD is to early to start changing it up, but if Erik continues his from he deserves a run.

Ref Dele Was it Liverpool at home he played slightly deeper this season. Seem to remember him taking the piss that day.

I agree anyway. Dele could definitely drop deeper if we want to bring Moura, Lamela or someone similar into a 3 due to injury or a tactical change.
He’s probably going to learn/ benefit a lot from playing with Dembele from a young age.

The best thing is coming into the business end of the season we have a lot of options. Which means if your level drops a bit in training we have a replacement.

And if we need to rotate we have some quality at every position.
Lots to be positive about right now.

Last edited:
Have to respectfully disagree mate. First of all I never even used the word "potential", and I'm the one who made the suggestion to drop someone, so I'm assuming your post was aimed at me!

Second, Dele has not been at his best this season and to compare him to lamela after a 14 month lay off when we were a totally different team back then isn't really fair. Dele is my favourite player when he is on song, but lamela deserves a run in the team if any of the 3 behind Kane aren't pulling their weight.

So Dembele's the fall guy to make way for Lamela? Dembele's an elite level central midfielder. Dele is not, maybe one day, but not yet, and you seem to be forgetting about Winks as well. Lamela is currently in a battle with Sissoko and Lucas Moura to make it on the bench in the next couple of games and be the player to come on if things aren't going well or there's an injury. The bench is going make interesting reading as some big names are gonna miss out on the match day squad now we have a fully fit squad. Bringing Lamela or Moura into the team now is a gamble I only see us taking against Rochdale or the second leg against Juve if we wallop them in the first leg. The ideal is that we pull out a big lead over either Chelsea or the dippers and have the luxury of rotating players for the CL should we get past Juve or beyond. Until then, we have to pick our best 11 whenever possible.

Lamela should not be starting just because he beat up on a league two team at home. I hope he improves, but he needs consistend performances before picking him ahead of the likes of Son and Dele.

I think he's best as an impact sub when we need a player who can pick a through pass.

I personally don’t think he’s entitled to start yet either. Certainly not in such a big match, where rotation isn’t necessary.

I didn't watch the last 15 mins as it exacerbates my health problems when it's stressfully close in a big game, I'll watch it later but from what I've seen he did very well. Defending a 1-0 lead I'd always bring on Lamela or keep him on if he started. He's the man in that situation, and there no-one better at starting some aggro or leaving a foot in but avoiding a red card. I thought he was more direct today. A couple of times he attacked the space when it was there, drove forward and got shots away, whereas in the past he's often tended to hold up play, cut inside and look for a pass and the chance goes away.

I'm always willing to change my mind about player.

Back
Top Bottom