Your opinion on these ex Spurs players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As an outsider looking in, what are your opinions on the following players?

Could be ability wise, or just their time overall at the club.
  • Darren Anderton - gave his all, plagued by injuries, decent player
  • Sol Campbell - who?
  • Robbie Keane - great finisher, wish he didn’t leave us the first time round! One of my favourite players.
  • Jermain Defoe - still love the man today, my favourite ever spurs player behind Kane.
  • Aaron Lennon - thought he was very underrated and used to get the crowd excited with his pace. Glad he is no longer in a bad way now.
  • Tom Huddlestone - bullet of a shot, good passer, not very mobile.
  • Michael Carrick - although he was good for us, he moved up a level at United which is disappointing.
  • Wilson Palacios - didn’t really rate him, but I suppose he helped us in the early stages of his spurs career.
  • Dimitar Berbatov - very unique and oozes class. Didn’t like the way he left and still bothers me.
  • William Gallas - the win away against Woolwich springs to mind, played very well that day.
  • Rafael van der Vaart - wish we signed him 3 years earlier! Loved watching him play but rarely got through 90.
  • Luka Modric - pure magician, nuff said.
  • Gareth Bale - best player I have ever seen for spurs, no idea how we managed to spend the money so poorly.
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - hated him, loved him, hated him, now meh.
  • Nabil Bentaleb - never rated him.

• Darren Anderton - loved this man. Great player, shame about the injuries.
  • Sol Campbell - loved him and then he hurt me. Hurt all of us. What a cunt. And a fucking Tory to boot. Fuck him.
  • Robbie Keane - genius, brilliant, loved him.
  • Jermain Defoe - not quite Robbie Keane, but a proper Yiddo.
  • Aaron Lennon - proper good bloke, Yiddo etc. but disappointing quality.
  • Tom Huddlestone - impressed occasionally. I've heard he's a nice guy, but so what really.
  • Michael Carrick - quietly brilliant, a bit like Eriksen. Can we have him back please?
  • Wilson Palacios - nope.
  • Dimitar Berbatov - genius, not consistent enough, went to ManU...uggh
  • William Gallas - meh
  • Rafael van der Vaart - loved this man, such talent.
  • Luka Modrić - zomg sooo talented, incredible player. And then he got even better at Rmad.
  • Gareth Bale - proper magic from this lad, shame he left, but now a 21st C sicknote.
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - oh shut up
  • Nabil Bentaleb - quite liked him, if Poch hadn't sold him, he'd be very useful right now

• Darren Anderton - Stand out talent, top player and game changer, lots of injuries (also reported to have turned down Man Yoo at a time they were dominent.) Came across as a gent.
  • Sol Campbell - Before - Strong centre back in a poor team / After- tapped up by the scum and Judas. When I first heard he'd gone to the scum, I got that sick feeling in my stomach as if I'd found out my girlfriend had been getting off with someone else but now I just think he has psychological issues, extreme narcissism being just one.
  • Robbie Keane - We got the best of Keane, Berbatov and him elevated each other's game. As an Ireland supporter I have a soft spot for him and I can sort of understand the Liverpool thing (Dippers and Manure are the big two over here.) I think when Berba went and he heard about the offer he wanted to go.
  • Jermain Defoe - Behind Keane and Berba for long periods but aged like a fine wine. Thought his motivation came and went a bit.
  • Aaron Lennon - For a short while fantastic wee player, moody bugger
  • Tom Huddlestone - teckers but built for Serie A not PL, seemed to be a good lad
  • Michael Carrick - We never should have sold, took years to replace. AFAIK the DOF thought Zakora was the second coming so happy to accept the Man Utd bid (could be bullshit.) Top pro
  • Wilson Palacios - Ealry Wilson would be a classic Poch player, sadly tragedy struck and was never the same. Really decent fella
  • Dimitar Berbatov - Silky smooth, languid and not a lazy as was often said. Finally an effective partner for Keane. Footballing wise a class act but can't pretend I was shocked when he forced the move.
  • William Gallas - No complaints beside the obvious.
  • Rafael van der Vaart - A throwback and shining light. Not so keen on some of his off field antics
  • Luka Modrić - Wonderful talent, one of the best midfielders of his generation. Only saw us as a stepping stone so hard to feel much affection.
  • Gareth Bale - Phenomenon. PEDs are a maybe but I have no facts. Wish he had just been a bit classier in his attempt to move. Feel like I should like him more that I do.
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - Mercurial, talented skillful. I was ok with the loan but did not want to sign him permanently. I did meet him once and he seemed nice enough, bit distant but ok. He has gone through some shit and lots of people who know him say nice things about him so,, meh.
  • Nabil Bentaleb - could have been a contender. Demanded a pay rise and went off the boil. Seemed a bit surly and grumpy but I don't actually know the man.

Last edited:
Anderton - class but played in a wank Spurs team

Sol - Was immense for us but an ill-advised move destroyed what would have been legend and hero status at the club.

Keane - Never was too enthusiastic about him. Preferred Defoe.

Defoe - Loved him, reliable finisher who scored some lovely goals. Should have started more games for England.

Lennon - Loved him when he burst on to the scene then thought he was vastly overrated shortly after.

Tom Huddlestone - Same as Lennon but completely different player and found him overrated for other reasons (lazy, unfit, slow)

Michael Carrick - Everything we wanted Huddlestone to be and more. Less talented than Huddlestone but far superior tactically, defensively and much more intelligent.

Palacios - One of my favourite players of all time! No joke! I used to love him and Zokora in midfield (some people won't agree...) but his circumstances was so tragic. Genuinely thought he'd be a star after moving to us.

Berbatov - Sulky cunt but one of the best and most exciting strikers i've seen at Tottenham. Technically superior to Kane but was 30 times less hard working.

Gallas - Loved him in real life, hated him on FIFA (never won a single header the midget cunt).

Van der Vaart - Nutmeg on Wilshere, goals against Woolwich, absolute legend

Modric - One of the best midfielders in the world when with us, now a top 3 midfielder in the world with Real. What's not to like?

Bale - Admit it, we were a 1 man club when he was here... he was that good! Love him and would love to see him back. Him and Kane would get us 80 goals in a year alone.

Adebayor - Never a fan

Bentaleb - Why is he even in the same list as the aforementioned names? Bad attitude and never really saw him play well. Overrated.

Last edited:
  • Darren Anderton - started following Spurs in 95 - he was an integral part of that squad. Possibly underrated at Spurs overall
  • Sol Campbell - Maggot
  • Robbie Keane - Very good player for us in a time of overall mediocrity, more complete striker than Defoe imv hence the more acomplished career overall
  • Jermain Defoe - Very good servant of the club - and should be respected as such
  • Aaron Lennon - wasted talent, imv - much like Walcott from the same generation - over-hyped far too young by the media
  • Tom Huddlestone - Average
  • Michael Carrick - Best CM we've had since Anderton
  • Wilson Palacios - One of Harry's best transfers - came in that January and plugged in massive midfield hole
  • Dimitar Berbatov - Best striker since Klinsmann, pity it was the wrong time. Always has spoken highly of us and has been invited many times to the Lane since meaning the club and former players also respect him.
  • William Gallas - Had one great season, hold no grudges
  • Rafael van der Vaart - One of the few players who really understood the NLD passion and thrived on it. I felt he really loved the club and fans - AVB sliced him unfortunately. Fantastic character - sad to see him go.
  • Luka Modrić - Comolli's finest hour along with Berbatov - sheer brilliance.
  • Gareth Bale - Closest to a world class player in a generation
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - Gave us 2 good seasons - pity it degenerated towards the end. Saw recently and interview with him about his family struggles - good read
  • Nabil Bentaleb - Average

As an outsider looking in, what are your opinions on the following players?

Could be ability wise, or just their time overall at the club.
  • Darren Anderton-Always had a headache?
  • Sol Campbell-prostitute
  • Robbie Keane-had
  • Jermain Defoe-like to-like a bit of rough
  • Aaron Lennon-wouldn't
  • Tom Huddlestone-had
  • Michael Carrick-not my type
  • Wilson Palacios-wouldn't-kept falling over
  • Dimitar Berbatov-wouldn't
  • William Gallas-wouldn't-Arse-anal
  • Rafael van der Vaart-had
  • Luka Modrić-had
  • Gareth Bale-had (them ears came in handy)
  • Emmanuel Adebayor-couldnt (always went AWOL)
  • Nabil Bentaleb--wouldn't
Just realised Ex players, I read as Sex players-sorry.

Disclaimer-The statements above was made in jest and does not reflect my sexual orientation

• Darren Anderton - started following Spurs in 95 - he was an integral part of that squad. Possibly underrated at Spurs overall
  • Sol Campbell - Maggot
  • Robbie Keane - Very good player for us in a time of overall mediocrity, more complete striker than Defoe imv hence the more acomplished career overall
  • Jermain Defoe - Very good servant of the club - and should be respected as such
  • Aaron Lennon - wasted talent, imv - much like Walcott from the same generation - over-hyped far too young by the media
  • Tom Huddlestone - Average
  • Michael Carrick - Best CM we've had since Anderton
  • Wilson Palacios - One of Harry's best transfers - came in that January and plugged in massive midfield hole
  • Dimitar Berbatov - Best striker since Klinsmann, pity it was the wrong time. Always has spoken highly of us and has been invited many times to the Lane since meaning the club and former players also respect him.
  • William Gallas - Had one great season, hold no grudges
  • Rafael van der Vaart - One of the few players who really understood the NLD passion and thrived on it. I felt he really loved the club and fans - AVB sliced him unfortunately. Fantastic character - sad to see him go.
  • Luka Modrić - Comolli's finest hour along with Berbatov - sheer brilliance.
  • Gareth Bale - Closest to a world class player in a generation
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - Gave us 2 good seasons - pity it degenerated towards the end. Saw recently and interview with him about his family struggles - good read
  • Nabil Bentaleb - Average

Cheers ArcspacE ArcspacE a good read.
I see lots of love for Michael Carrick but...I honestly don't get it. Am I wrong and why?

• Darren Anderton - Slow, Unfit, Injured, Class
  • Sol Campbell - No
  • Robbie Keane - Spurs legend in my eyes, crying when we won the cup is my memory of him
  • Jermain Defoe - Another Spurs legend, one trick pony maybe, but scoring goals isn't a bad trick
  • Aaron Lennon - Liked him, but he'll probably be remembered like Stephen Carr, just another player
  • Tom Huddlestone - Never seen anyone strike a ball like him, looked like a world beater on his day, but looked like a world eater too often
  • Michael Carrick - Quiet and effective in that midfield, gutted that we sold him but wont be someone to be remembered as a Spurs great
  • Wilson Palacios - Couple of good games
  • Dimitar Berbatov - Genius, he was our Cantona, could make an entire crowd gasp with a sublime touch
  • William Gallas - Mercenary, but probably what we needed for the half a season he featured for us
  • Rafael van der Vaart - Probably the most impact of any player in such a short time, just utter class and loved scoring agaisnt the other lot
  • Luka Modrić - Kept the possession and recycled play as good as anyone, didn't assist or score enough.
  • Gareth Bale - Stars lined up to make him immense, at a time where we needed one guy to take the responsibility of our attack he was there, with his pace at its peak and body not decimated by injury. Some nice games but again he's a player that I wont remember as fondly as others
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - See William Gallas
  • Nabil Bentaleb - Overrated by bloggers and heatmap fanciers.

• Darren Anderton - my grandfather had healthier legs and he survived the holocaust
  • Sol Campbell - football aside, he’s a cunt with no friends for a reason
  • Robbie Keane - good player, the move to Liverpool was a bit cunty though
  • Jermain Defoe - they used to call him goals, they should have called him offsides
  • Aaron Lennon - great team player and spirit
  • Tom Huddlestone - Like a Challenger Tank, had its peaks and definitely good natural skill to him, but too much weight and he’s stuck in the mud.
  • Michael Carrick - good lad, good attitude
  • Wilson Palacios - can’t believe CL football with him
  • Dimitar Berbatov - most elegant player we had, too bad he was a cunt with the move
  • William Gallas - too little to leave a mark
  • Rafael van der Vaart - shame he couldn’t stay for longer
  • Luka Modrić - his purchase signaled our transition to a big gun again
  • Gareth Bale - made a mistake and now he’s paying for it
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - never liked him and he’s shite attitude
  • Nabil Bentaleb - talented but overtly emotional

Cheers ArcspacE ArcspacE a good read.
I see lots of love for Michael Carrick but...I honestly don't get it. Am I wrong and why?
Carrick was fantastic when he played for us, for me he was the kind of player that never stood out on the pitch and that was the brilliance of him for me, did his job and did it well with no bells or whistles but when he didn't play you really noticed it. IMO he was just way to good for the team we had at the time and his move to UTD was a fantastic move for HIM. At the time it was a huge loss for us but that is football.

Too early to add Walker to this list?

Obviously he threw his toys out of the pram during an important phase of the season. Got his 'dream' move and then postcard tweet with his own personal highlights of 2017 without a single mention of Spurs.

Cunt.

Same as Campbell, Berba (although I still love him!), Keane and arguably Modric.

I don't hate Bale for going to Real, not for a world record fee to boot. Dislike him more for his comments about England during the Euros. See you in Russia, Gareth. ;-)

The rest I like or am indifferent to. Ade and Gallas are Woolwich BUT they played for other clubs as well. Gallas gets a pass from me for THAT performance against AC Milan in the CL 2nd leg.

Carrick was fantastic when he played for us, for me he was the kind of player that never stood out on the pitch and that was the brilliance of him for me, did his job and did it well with no bells or whistles but when he didn't play you really noticed it. IMO he was just way to good for the team we had at the time and his move to UTD was a fantastic move for HIM. At the time it was a huge loss for us but that is football.

Way too good? That was the season we finished 5th but lost out on the final day due to the sickness bug or lasagne or fate. We weren't exactly no-hopers that season!

I did like him though and actually think he regressed a little bit as a player at United or at least didn't maximise his potential. He should have won more England caps as well.

• Darren Anderton - Childhood memories of watching him being quite graceful on the pitch.
  • Sol Campbell - Dies in a fireball
  • Robbie Keane - Teenage hero of mine. Loved him when he was with us.
  • Jermain Defoe - Another teenage hero of mine. Great servant to the club. Natural goal scoring talent. Spent a lot of time offside though.
  • Aaron Lennon - One trick pony but frightened average defenders with his pace but never adapted his craft which is a shame.
  • Michael Carrick - Lovely player. Never stood out but was missed when not on the pitch. Too good for our side at the time.
  • Wilson Palacios - Looked to be a great player then tragedy struck. Never to be the same. Big shame.
  • Dimitar Berbatov - A miserable bastard but with the first of a god. Scored some worldies for us.
  • William Gallas - Never really warmed to him seeing as he came from the cunts but did well when he played - no ill feeling.
  • Rafael van der Vaart - Absolute man crush on him for how much passion and heart he had for the club. Hated the scum and we loved him for it.
  • Luka Modrić - Absolute genius of the game. Was always gonna lose him. Fantastic player. Left on a sour note somewhat.
  • Gareth Bale - The one player who I wish never left. He was immense for us and it broke my heart when he left. Could never hate the lad.
  • Emmanuel Adebayor - Plagued with demons but an absolute bastard of a player. If he really wanted to he could score 3 goals per game but was a lazy fucker.
  • Nabil Bentaleb - Total shite. Not sure why he is on the list.

I don't think he's made any mistakes - won a shit load with Real already along a 1 in 2 goal record to boot

Yeah I agree plus isn't he earning close to 300k a week whilst living in Madrid?

Yeah he's received a few books from Madrid 'fans' but they boo everyone at some point!

I doubt he has ever regretted for one second leaving Spurs. Real are wankers but they're still the biggest club on the planet.

As for Sol. Well, in a way he proved us right and all of our critics wrong. The man IS a cunt, who cares about one thing and one thing only; himself.

He walked out on us, got a free from Woolwich after he promised he'd move abroad only to end up at Pompey, walked out on them and Notts County(?) before winding things down at Newcastle.

Then there's all that Tory shite and talking about jealousy regarding a Mansion Tax and bugging up his chances of becoming Mayor of London. Fucking bizarre.

He's toxic, not even on TV let alone trusted enough to be given a chance as a coach or manager.

So actually, thanks Sol for proving us right about you. You ARE a cunt!

Way too good? That was the season we finished 5th but lost out on the final day due to the sickness bug or lasagne or fate. We weren't exactly no-hopers that season!

I did like him though and actually think he regressed a little bit as a player at United or at least didn't maximise his potential. He should have won more England caps as well.
And what did he go on to win after his move?
What did we win after his move?

Granted at UTD there times he could have been used more effectively but that is the thing about UTD they are able to have such a large squad packed with talent and Fergie knew how to get the best out of his players.

Back
Top Bottom