West Ham - League cup game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to TFC

1. Being considered better than Woolwich by oxygen thieving journalists and pundits is better than winning an actual trophy.

2. Being considered by top european clubs as a team they'd rather avoid in CL group stage is better than winning an actual trophy.

3. Finishing in top 4 without winning anything is better than winning anything.

Id rather prioritse the PL, CL, and FA Cup, in that order....CC is last and always has been.

No one wants to lose, but there is a big difference with not giving a toss when you are out early on

It upsets me when supporters such as yourself refer to success in monetary terms. It's the club's job to make sure they are financially secure, it's our job to watch our club win trophies. I get no personal satisfaction from looking at our profit and loss statements, nor do I wank off when I look at a figure on the bottom of a spreadsheet. The league cup may not have the status of winning the CL or prem, but in reality it's only one of two trophies we can win (FA cup being the other) and we have just blown it.

I didn't refer to success in monetary terms, we have a new stadium to pay for, it will restrict our ability to buy and pay players. The league cup won't do that.

It's how modern football works I'm afraid, I want to win trophies as much as anyone else but how much credit do you really think we would get for winning the League cup? None, West Spam would be the first ones to rubbish us winning it.

We didn't keep players in 2008 cos we won it then did we, paying players the going rate will, a new stadium will allow us to attempt to. Keeping our best players then allows us to really challenge for trophies.

Because they made 2 in extra time. You're allowed 3 during normal time and an extra one if it goes to extra time. So the new rule is somewhat ambiguous

I call for a season-long ban and 30-point deduction

Ahh. That's a bit of a stupid rule but if it means they "cheated" then I say throw the book at them :)
Though no doubt they'll be applauded for being "clever".

Small time mentality

We have won fuck all in a decade and counting. Winning LC/FAC and a midtable finish is better than finishing second without winning anything.

In grand scheme of things 2nd place is just as good as 17th place, no difference. But winning an actual trophy counts for something.
Yep and the players constantly talk of wanting to win things.

I hear what you're saying. But you're making the business case, not the football case. Has the sport lost so much that there is no pride simply in winning a cup? The players tonight acted like they didn't really care about that. It was a good enough team to comfortably win, not a bunch of kids. So the prize money maybe isn't that great, but do the players not think that there is still glory in any major trophy? Just the fact of winning the trophy itself? That they didn't seem to is what I find sad. I'd have been delighted to see us lift the cup in the spring and it just feels that the players don't share the pleasure in that thought that I do. I think that's why this result bothers me more than maybe it does others.

I completely agree with you. But this is the fans perspective. Seeped with passion, tribalism, and the need for bragging rights. The way it should be.

But the people who run our club ARE business people not fans. I feel that many fans would be a lot happier if they came to terms with that, because it's never going to change. And relatively, compared to other clubs, i don't think weve got it that bad.Look at clubs like Newcastle or Villa. These clubs are run clinically as businesses (and in some cases, not even by good businessmen!!). Every decision made corporately and commercially, Every time an asset shows any value it is stripped.

We will never prioritise this competition. We will always play weakened sides and use it to give fringe players experience and because of that there is a good chance we will always get knocked out early.

simple review this morning.

Dont go 2-0 up, then try flicks and tricks and meaningless casual showboating, cause you will probably give the the opposition the indication that your finding it too easy.

We learn from this one. Cant win them all.

COYS

Small time mentality

We have won fuck all in a decade and counting. Winning LC/FAC and a midtable finish is better than finishing second without winning anything.

In grand scheme of things 2nd place is just as good as 17th place, no difference. But winning an actual trophy counts for something.

Agree about winning a trophy because it bolsters the mindset. I would not however see 17th as a positive.

Nope, something like 5th or 6th having given everything for a cup would be better than 2nd or 3rd for me.

It is great that we are doing well but last night took me back to the unpredictable days.

And the one thing we no longer possess is that mercurial talent who has flashes of inspiration.

Ginola, Gascoigne, Bale etc.

Without such players there is no other way than whatever team is on the pitch applying themselves from first to last.

It is the other single factor why cup competitions will never be Pochettino's strong suit.

Id rather prioritse the PL, CL, and FA Cup, in that order....CC is last and always has been.

No one wants to lose, but there is a big difference with not giving a toss when you are out early on
How can we dream of winning CL(lol) when we're struggling to even win a Coca Cola Cup?

We have a remote chance of winning PL and zero chance of winning CL. We should be targeting to win domestic cups and europa league first to build a winning mentality. Then we can go from there.

Atletico didn't win la liga out of nowhere. They won twice both Europa and copa de la rey four years before they ultimately won they league.

Fergie Utd won FA in 90, uefa Cup in 91 before they won their first league title in 26 yrs in 1993.

Success breed success.

But it's how we lost, and even more infuriating, who we lost to.
We just gave those small time eel munchers a fucking great stick to taunt us with for years to come. A scandalous performance against a local rival. There should be a public apology on the official site today. Anything less would be a kick in the teeth

I’ll miss the half empty stadiums and a fully rotated squads. This Kangaroo cup is utter shite and isn’t taken seriously by EVERY club including the championship sides (Wolves made 8 changes against City the other night). When this sponsor leaves it’s future will yet again be put in doubt and may not even exist. I’ll bet it’s dead in 5yrs or so.

Last nights game has just improved our chances of winning the League. Those harping on about Trophies are out of step with this competition, no club is interested in it, if they were they wouldn’t rotate and stadiums would be full. This is the truth that has to be dealt with.

In addition the result helps with our focus and attitude to games. What better game, a game that has no consequence, to learn a lesson of over-confidence, it will act as a reminder that to win a game no matter how easy it might appear it only takes a goal and things can change. It’s great preparation for CL, FA Cup (which is very important cup) and Premier League.

They beat Chelsea last year at the same stage, whilst the Chavs went on to win the League, having had their schedule cleared, West Ham were still fighting relegation right up to 3 games to go.

They will still be fighting relegation this year. That performance in the first half by them was one of the worst performances I’ve witnessed from any side. That is NOT a side playing for their Manager. Until their goal they were just as bad (ability and attitude the same as first half) it was the goal, not Bilic that got their tails up. That side is shite, when they lose at the weekend, and they will, they will drop into the relation zone and likely to remain there until the final couple of games. All this turning point bollocks stuff I’m hearing this morning is utter tripe.

I believe the next round of the kangaroo cup is played around the 20th December!!! We play Man City on the 16th a game that could be a title decider. Thank fuck it gives us a chance to recover and prepare for a game in the PL at the busiest time of the year, a time if year where we have excelled under Poch playing every 3 days (we also play WHU on 30th, they will be dead on their feet by then as I’ve never seen such a slow unfit side).

Final word on Poch and the narrative being built, saying he didn’t care about winning it. He selected a side to win the game and we were cruising, if he didn’t care then he would have left Eriksen on the bench, he brought him on to turn the game! Poch has called our priorities, this isn’t a priority, but he still put out a team to win the game and made changes to get us back in the game. Back to the top, this Cup isn’t a priority for any club in it, the empty stadiums and rotated teams is all the proof you need.

Say it doesnt matter all you like, the next time we are two up and concede their arses will start twitching again...

What did ArcspacE do again this time?
giphy.gif

Small time mentality

Well that's funny......because the last time we won the league cup both Berbatov and Keane wanted to leave to play Champions League football

A few months later we were rock bottom of the league with 2 points from 8 games

If everyone cares about this cup so much why didn't more of you show up, there was 35 k capacity last night that sums up how this cup is viewed. Can't believe the reaction to this loss coming off the week we've had and the position we're in. Its almost as if some of you have been waiting for this type of result to come in the league or champs but as it hasn't, have seized on the opportunity to make a massive deal about this shit competition nobody cares about until they're in the final.

Well that's funny......because the last time we won the league cup both Berbatov and Keane wanted to leave to play Champions League football

A few months later we were rock bottom of the league with 2 points from 8 games

Yep and where did the '99 win lead to? Nowhere.

The true barometer of a team's standing is their final league position. Would be nice to win a cup but it's not the end of the world.

Just chill guys, chill.

Back
Top Bottom