"@ing" Spurs players on Twitter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you abuse a Spurs player directly?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
What is the general feeling about negatively @ing Spurs players in social media?

I've just seen Trippier post a tweet saying something along the lines of "looking forward to the first CL game tomorrow #COYS" and amongst the first 5 of 6 responses you've got Spurs "supporters" replying to him with things like "hope you're not playing" and "you'll be benched". I mean what sort of brain dead nasty little cunt does that?

People will say they don't read it or it doesn't effect them but a) I believe both to be false and b) it's not really the point. (Roses recent comments about fans reactions to his contract extension being evidence of the former. And he isn't even in social media!)

As a Spurs fan I see nothing wrong with coming on forums like this and voicing your option on players, positive or negative but when it comes to directly messaging them with abuse that's crossing a line. Not to mention it can only have a negative impact.

Regardless of whether you like or loath a player messaging them ahead of a game with abuse has got to be the dumbest most counter productive thing a fan can do.

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but social media really does highlight just how many absolute cunts there are in our society. It's rather depressing.

It's poor form and poor ettiquette. But people think that they can get away with it since they are hidden behind a screen. And then they get shocked and appaled when a player grows jaded and lashes out.

You can think a player does something bad, and by all means tweet "Ah Sissoko blew that one" or "Son just did the most shit pass I have ever seen" but don't go fucking @ing them. Then it just becomes abuse and trolling. Same with the numbskulls that track celebrities and just reply to their tweets with the same thing over and over again.

Whenever I want to critique a player I always try to be constructive with it. Neither he nor I benefit from me directly @ing say Jan and calling him a nonce.

It's poor form and poor ettiquette. But people think that they can get away with it since they are hidden behind a screen. And then they get shocked and appaled when a player grows jaded and lashes out.

You can think a player does something bad, and by all means tweet "Ah Sissoko blew that one" or "Son just did the most shit pass I have ever seen" but don't go fucking @ing them. Then it just becomes abuse and trolling. Same with the numbskulls that track celebrities and just reply to their tweets with the same thing over and over again.

Whenever I want to critique a player I always try to be constructive with it. Neither he nor I benefit from me directly @ing say Jan and calling him a nonce.
The response I got from one little scrote for (stupidly) pulling him up on it was "stop crying you batty".

Nice kid.

What is the general feeling about negatively @ing Spurs players in social media?

I've just seen Trippier post a tweet saying something along the lines of "looking forward to the first CL game tomorrow #COYS" and amongst the first 5 of 6 responses you've got Spurs "supporters" replying to him with things like "hope you're not playing" and "you'll be benched". I mean what sort of brain dead nasty little cunt does that?

People will say they don't read it or it doesn't effect them but a) I believe both to be false and b) it's not really the point. (Roses recent comments about fans reactions to his contract extension being evidence of the former. And he isn't even in social media!)

As a Spurs fan I see nothing wrong with coming on forums like this and voicing your option on players, positive or negative but when it comes to directly messaging them with abuse that's crossing a line. Not to mention it can only have a negative impact.

Regardless of whether you like or loath a player messaging them ahead of a game with abuse has got to be the dumbest most counter productive thing a fan can do.

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking but social media really does highlight just how many absolute cunts there are in our society. It's rather depressing.

Agreed it's really dumb. Remember when we where in the hunt for Zaha (who is a good player) and some dickhead who apparently supports us who holds a view that he is not good enough insulted him and Zaha responded.

I mean we where heavily linked with this guy and a fellow fan blew off one of our transfer targets, what a cunt. It probably had nothing to do with our failure to get him but it set such a bad impression of our club to him.

Talking shit about players on a forum is one thing, abusing them on their social accounts is nothing short of fucking disgrace.

Hope he ignores it and Focus on tomorrows game.

It's a cunty thing to do-particularly for such a chest thumping COYS type tweet that any proper Spurs fan would applaud. But if you're a celebrity/sportsman etc & you put yourself up there to be shot at, there are plenty of cunts who will gladly oblige. If it upset the player, presumably he'd take his "page" or whatever it is called down. I wouldn't imagine Tripps will be crying into his weetabix, whilst sat in his mansion. The sad, salty fuckers who post shit like that to him must be green with envy of the bloke- particularly if they believe what they type.

Social media.... where to start? I understand it's a huge part of business (it's a pretty big part of mine 'Sports Marketing') however it's toxic. The strategy, is for posts to seem like they are from the player themselves but really the club should have someone doing this on their behalf, like a buffer. The players need to stay off it directly for the following reasons:

1. They are stupid and post stupid things
2. Trolls, if it's not one of ours it's other teams trying to get in a players head
3. Players get drunk, tired, angry and this is no time to post

As to the question "Should a fan directly hassle a player?" think we all know the answer but player must be stupid if they think flack wont come their way.

Its social media in general to be honest, people feel they can say things they would never do otherwise because they are hidden behind a screen. Don't like that culture.

But its also the way of the world now.

You have to remember some fans of clubs make up bogus accounts to abuse players,so possibly that.
I have seen snide accounts set up by spurs fans to abuse players of other teams,so i am sure we get it as well.

Every club has idiot fans, we are no different.

All sorts of personalities get abuse of one form or another, for example the abuse Eddie Hearn gets is stupid. If some numpty on a phone or behind a keyboard thinks he can change anything or can get a point across by being abusive then he/she is being very stupid and naive.

I find this whole social media thing unnerving. I see kids with their faces buried in a screen – mostly on YouTube whilst their parent are transfixed on their own device. Social interaction is low for these people and they've only ever know this state. What are they going to be like as they grow into adulthood? How will they progress through life into retirement and old age? We're yet to see a generation bought up on this go full cycle. I think it's a worrying time...

I find this whole social media thing unnerving. I see kids with their faces buried in a screen – mostly on YouTube whilst their parent are transfixed on their own device. Social interaction is low for these people and they've only ever know this state. What are they going to be like as they grow into adulthood? How will they progress through life into retirement and old age? We're yet to see a generation bought up on this go full cycle. I think it's a worrying time...
State of politics shows just about all you need to know about the damage social media is doing to the culture. It's a boon for the loud, obnoxious, ludicrous, eye-catching, and attention seeking. Delivers news in waves moving from clickbait crisis to clickbait crisis so quickly no one bothers to verify the accuracy of anything anymore, and by the time a retraction, if any, is made no one is paying attention.

And, perhaps most damaging of all, it has allowed people of all manner of opinions to isolate themselves to enclaves where they validate and are validated by like minded people and simply shoutdown or block any dissension. This is allowing the returning to prominence of all types of ideals that we had made significant progress in making socially taboo on the road to stamping them out of our culture.

China will probably conquer us all just because they'll have a useful and cohesive society if they manage to keep it under such tight wraps. Because we're really all turning into divided, petty, cunts incapable of rationality or complex thought thanks to Facebook and the like.

I'm a coward so I only do indirect abuse with strong plausible deniability.

I'm just kidding, the only person I abuse is myself.

Agree.......got rid of facebook about 7 years ago (had it for a year, hardly used it), dont have twitter, or instagram.

TFC is it for me in terms of social media. I have no idea what the point in it all is. Big load of wank if you ask me

Back
Top Bottom