Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were rusty... whooooooooooooo that is a fucking shocker.

First PL game of season 2016 - 1-1 with Everton, 1-0 over Palace,1-1 with Liverpool
First PL game of Season 2015 - 1-0 to United, 2-2 with Stoke,1-1 with Leicester, 0-0 Everton.
First PL game of season 2014 - Extremely last minute lucky win vs West Ham, then won 1 in 5 games

The fact we won today was a big bonus - we're not fast starters at all and it usually takes us until November-December to get going. ANY win up until those months should be cherished, as it's the reason we haven't won the title in the last 2 years.

Chelsea, Burnley, Everton, Swansea next. 2 wins and 2 draws would be a great start to the season considering we are, like you say, incredibly rusty to begin with.

First PL game of season 2016 - 1-1 with Everton, 1-0 over Palace,1-1 with Liverpool
First PL game of Season 2015 - 1-0 to United, 2-2 with Stoke,1-1 with Leicester, 0-0 Everton.
First PL game of season 2014 - Extremely last minute lucky win vs West Ham, then won 1 in 5 games

The fact we won today was a big bonus - we're not fast starters at all and it usually takes us until November-December to get going. ANY win up until those months should be cherished, as it's the reason we haven't won the title in the last 2 years.

Chelsea, Burnley, Everton, Swansea next. 2 wins and 2 draws would be a great start to the season considering we are, like you say, incredibly rusty to begin with.

To be honest I was so terrified of the narrative that I just wanted 3 points from the first 2 games no matter how we got them, so yeah 2-2-0 over the next 4 games would be incredible. A good start would go a long way towards taking the pressure off whoever we sign on deadline day.

To be honest I was so terrified of the narrative that I just wanted 3 points from the first 2 games no matter how we got them, so yeah 2-2-0 over the next 4 games would be incredible. A good start would go a long way towards taking the pressure off whoever we sign on deadline day.
A win next week and we'll suddenly have momentum behind us.

Fun fact: if we sign Barkley then he'd get to play against Everton in early September. Dat narrative.

Who do Chelsea have to play vs us, could someone make a summary?

Cahill banned, Fabregas banned, Hazard injured. Is Moses banned for his red card in the FA Final? I'm guessing Pedro's ban doesn't go over into domestic games?

At first glance they look a little light on numbers.

Who do Chelsea have to play vs us, could someone make a summary?

Cahill banned, Fabregas banned, Hazard injured. Is Moses banned for his red card in the FA Final? I'm guessing Pedro's ban doesn't go over into domestic games?

At first glance they look a little light on numbers.
Moses is back, served his ban today I think.

I'm still unsure about wanting Barkley. I just get this feeling that he'll fail with us for so much money

Barkley at 25million is a steal really, and in today's market surely with a contract he is worth 40million at least, so if he does turn out poor we won't loose money on him! Which should keep someone happy! :levyeyes:

Barkley at 25million is a steal really, and in today's market surely with a contract he is worth 40million at least, so if he does turn out poor we won't loose money on him! Which should keep someone happy! :levyeyes:
25 million? Where have you heard him that cheap?

Plus I think his wage demands will be too much for us to be comfortable with selling him.

I'm still unsure about wanting Barkley. I just get this feeling that he'll fail with us for so much money
If I had to sell him to you, I'd say he's not the same bright young hope of English football that he was a couple of years ago - but is still young enough to still be moulded by Poch.

Yes, he's had a year or so of stagnation: but that's happened on Koeman's watch.

4312E59800000578-0-image-a-97_1502193513030.jpg

This guy. A guy with personalised luggage. I'd stagnate too.

We've got a fairly unique situation here in that all of this has happened while Barkley has also arrived at having only one year left on his contract (ergo Everton's hand is forced whereas I'm convinced they'd force him to stay in any other situation).

He still put up decent chance creation numbers despite all this - and I'd suggest he's the player who would take the creative burden off of Eriksen more capably than anyone else we already have/are linked with.
Lamela's injury limbo leaves him out of this discussion for me.

So yeah, if we get Barkley then I genuinely believe we'll add creativity, power, and (some) pace to our attack. There were moments against Newcastle where Sissoko got the ball and our counter attacks came to nothing - with Barkley I think we'd have been far more incisive.

I'd have to say I'm not totally sold on Barkley, but he certainly would be a upgrade on the depth we have and challenge for a spot in the first team. I didn't really want him earlier in the window but as time ticks down in this window I'm warming to the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom