Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm still at odds with myself over this transfer.

On many levels I know it's the right player to move on at that money.
But if Trippier gets injured first match what's our plan B.

So I'm now relying on faith in Poch and the fact he wants players who will die for the cause. Maybe not literally. But have that passion inside.

And going back to Danny Rose's interview on the radio it appears it was just Kyle Walker's time. That he didn't feel that anymore.

So yes. Players will leave. We aren't the biggest club in the world. Or the UK. People need to realise that. Players generally aren't fans like we are. It's a job.

And for a job going to WHL on matchday is a special place and I think Kyle Walker knew that, appreciated that and loved it so I wish him good luck.

That's football. That's life.

Yes it sucks we are selling Walker to Citeh. But all you people who are mad think you know better than Poch? You are fucking delusional. Obviously Walker isn't what Poch thinks is going to be good for us going forward and if he doesn't want to be here then fuck right off to a team that is going to finish behind us again this season.

Trippier. Because It had already been decided at that point that Walker would be sold. Then people like you would be ok with it because, in your eyes, he'd dropped down the pecking order.
You can throw all the abuse you like, but that's how I see it I'm afraid

If you don't want to trust Poch's judgement fine, I do. You're going on like he was sold from underneath his feet, for which there is zero evidence.

Last edited:
And kept a player the manager didn't want out of spite? That would state that we're fucking idiots.
You don't know that Poch wanted rid Joe. It's just what you think
I don't know that Levy wanted to cash in while Walker was in his prime, it's just what I suspect..
That's what makes for the debate. And I respect others opinions.
One thing I do know though is that Poch is handsomely paid by Levy, and would be unlikely to bite off the hand that feeds him, at this stage anyway

Trippier. Because It had already been decided at that point that Walker would be sold. Then people like you would be ok with it because, in your eyes, he'd dropped down the pecking order.
You can throw all the abuse you like, but that's how I see it I'm afraid
had it been decided at that point? do you know that for a fact?

I'm still at odds with myself over this transfer.

On many levels I know it's the right player to move on at that money.
But if Trippier gets injured first match what's our plan B.

So I'm now relying on faith in Poch and the fact he wants players who will die for the cause. Maybe not literally. But have that passion inside.

And going back to Danny Rose's interview on the radio it appears it was just Kyle Walker's time. That he didn't feel that anymore.

So yes. Players will leave. We aren't the biggest club in the world. Or the UK. People need to realise that. Players generally aren't fans like we are. It's a job.

And for a job going to WHL on matchday is a special place and I think Kyle Walker knew that, appreciated that and loved it so I wish him good luck.

That's football. That's life.
There is no reason KWP couldn't have a breakout a year. I mean, we have an immediate recent history of young superstars emerging from nowhere at Spurs. He's looked great this summer.

You don't know that Poch wanted rid Joe. It's just what you think
I don't know that Levy wanted to cash in while Walker was in his prime, it's just what I suspect..
That's what makes for the debate. And I respect others opinions.
One thing I do know though is that Poch is handsomely paid by Levy, and would be unlikely to bite off the hand that feeds him, at this stage anyway

Yes it's what I think based on what Poch has said about not selling players he wants to keep, and I believe him.

You don't think Poch couldn't get a better paid job elsewhere? I don't think he's frightened of Levy, he knows his worth.

Yes it's what I think based on what Poch has said about not selling players he wants to keep, and I believe him.

You don't think Poch couldn't get a better paid job elsewhere? I don't think he's frightening of Levy, he knows his worth.
Oh he could get a job elsewhere, of course he could. But he ain't gonna walk away . He's got too much about him. He's a class act and I genuinely believe he's built up an affinity with the club and the fans. Especially the fans

I'm dissapointed to lose Walker, particularly to a rival. But realistically, Man City are not a rival. What I mean by that is that financially they are on another planet to us. I've seen a lot of people talk about us strengthening a rival, but they were always going to sign a strong right-back this summer. Walker or no Walker.

At the same time, there were rumours back as far as March that Pochettino and Walker had a disagreement over his fitness and then there were rumours that Walker was not happy that Poch was picking Trippier for all the big matches.

So you have a situation where the manager has lost faith in the player, Walker isn't particularly happy at playing second fiddle and then you have a situation where a right-backless desperate financial giant are in for a player we can sell for a huge sum and still have who has been our go-to starting right-back for big fixtures since the early part of 2017 as well as a young player who this summer became a world-cup winner at u20 level.

Everything about this transfer makes sense, removing all emotions aside. We get a record fee for a defender, who isn't a vital part of the manager's plans. Pochettino gets backed in his decisions and stances. We make room in the squad for a promising youngster and have £55m in the bank in the bargain.

I also personally think that Trippier has improved. He is tactically and situationally better than Walker, his crossing and passing is better. Walker is faster. But at 27 and having been playing footballsince he was 18, I think its the right time to sell. He has improved under Poch, but I don't think that's down to his own application and attitude, I think that's down to Pochettino's tactics where Dier or Wanyama drop to create a 3 in a 4-2-3-1 when in possession and attacking, or where we simply play 3 at the back. It means Walker's tactical, positional and brain-fart inadequacies aren't as frequently exposed as in previous regimes.

He has been a good servant and good player, but by no means perfect, a fact bourne out by the fact that Clyne has often been picked for England ahead of him and previously Glen Johnson. The money and Poch seemingly preferring Trippier means its a no-brainer.

Perhaps Poch had no say and Walker wanted out long ago - guess we'll never know

Few months back when the story first started rumbling it was said to be Poch unhappy with Walker's attitude and performances and he decided he had to go more than Walker wanting out.

This would suggest a Fergie like ruthlessness in the club. Who knows that was media and 'ITK' bollocks doing the rounds.

Then wasn't very long ago to be fair Joe , of course its possible that Trippier could of started next season as Pochettino's first choice right back but a few nods at the back end of last season after almost complete Walker dominance over two years is hardly conclusive evidence of that.
Starts in the F.A. Cup semi final against Chelsea and games against United and Woolwich in our last 7 games is not evidence of a change o the guard at RB? What is then?

Because Trippier was being coached to the requisite level by Poch. A level Poch clearly feels he has now achieved and is of a higher level than Walker. You simply cannot say that the man who was dropped for Chelsea, Woolwich and United is 1st choice. Trippier was and is our first choice RB. Hence the starts, the new contract and Walker's sale.

I think Walker is a bit better but I'm not arrogant enough to suggest I know better than Poch. Which seems to be rife with some in this thread. Maybe I'm wrong about Walker being better. If Poch thinks so.

I think it's a simplistic view and agree with John that Walkers head could have been turned by that point , how many times have you seen a first choice player temporarily lose his place and win it back again ? there is very little evidence to even suggest Walker had lost his place could have quite easily been he wasn't 100% considering this whole argument is based on 3 games.

Back
Top Bottom