Spurs Vs. Stoke (Home) - Kick off Sunday 1:30 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whether people like it or not or want to accept it or not the variety of goals and goal scorers in our team has dropped.

2015-16
Kane - 28
Lamela - 11
Dele - 10
Eriksen - 8
Son - 8
Chadli - 7
Toby - 4
Dier - 4
Dembele - 4
Carrol - 3

Total top 10 = 87

2016-17
Kane - 19
Dele - 13
Son - 11
Eriksen - 8
Janssen - 4
Wanyama - 3
Rose - 2
Lamela - 2
Winks - 1
Davies - 1

Total top 10 = 64

The fact Janssen is in our top 5 scorers, followed by Wanyama, says everything imo. Toby has 1 vs 4, Dier has 0 vs 4, Dembele has 0 vs 4. Far less variety in our goals than last year and Kane scoring a hat trick and Dele chipping in today doesn't change that.

Happy with the result, but we need more goal scorers in our team. Some teams will triple or double mark Kane and Alli out of games and at that point we don't tend to score at all.
In fact compare the league goals of the other teams top 5 scoerers and you'll find that our top 5 scorers have scored 43 league goals (Kane, Dele, Eriksen, son, Wanyama)
City 27 ( aguero,Sterling ineacho, Nolito, toure)
Woolwich 41 (Sanchez, Walcott, giroud, Ozil, iwobi)
Liverpool 37( mane, coutihno, firmino, lallana, Milner)
Chelsea 42 (Costa, hazard, Pedro, Alonso, Willian)

We have been missing Lamela and if he would have scored 4 more league goals by this time we would be exceeding and have 55 goals in all, the same goals for as Chelsea. We have scored 1 less than Man City and 4 less than Woolwich & Liverpool.
Especially when we you realise have also been missing Kane and Alderweird for a large chunk.
Milners goals have all been from penalties too.
We could do with more goals from CM. Dembele, winks and Jansen etc. However, apart from Liverpool, who have Winjaldum and origi chipping in, all teams have their ritual scorers.

Last edited:
You're missing the point massively.

Teams will look at us, look at how to beat us and see we only have 2 players who score and simply mark them out of it. We need more goal threats so that space is created - you can't double or triple mark 3 players, but you can 2.

Next season another goal scorer whether AM or ST is essential.

For now I guess Poch will stick with what works and not play our 3rd top goal scorer - a mistake imo, but each to their own.
No I'm not. You're missing the point of supporting your club- massively. I had a fucking hoot at Wembley on Thursday even though the money shot didn't happen. I brushed off the disappointment & am loving today's result & performance. I'm annoyed I couldn't make the game cos I had a day off & couldn't get a ticket. I'm not getting pissy because we only scored four goals & our goalie didn't get one. Wobble your brain mate.

Poch ain't doing too bad. I'd trust him before you.

Big hugs.

In fact compare the league goals of the other teams top 5 scoerers and you'll find that our top 5 scorers have scored 43 league goals (Kane, Dele, Eriksen, son, Wanyama)
City 27 ( aguero,Sterling ineacho, Nolito, toure)
Woolwich 41 (Sanchez, Walcott, giroud, Ozil, iwobi)
Liverpool 37( mane, coutihno, firmino, lallana, Milner)
Chelsea 42 (Costa, hazard, Pedro, Alonso, Willian)

We have been missing Lamela and if he would have scored 4 more league goals by this time we would be exceeding and have 55 goals in all, the same goals for as Chelsea. We have scored 1 less than Man City and 4 less than Woolwich & Liverpool.
Especially when we you realise have also been missing Kane and Alderweird for a large chunk.
Milners goals have all been from penalties too.
We could do with more goals from CM. Dembele, winks, etc. However, apart from Liverpool, who have Winjaldum and origi chipping in, all teams have their ritual scorers.
so, in summary, in his opinion, we picked the wrong team, but had won the game by half time, are too reliant on a couple of players, but only if you dont compare to anyone else and ignore our injuries, and our spread of goals isnt enough and we havn't scored enough times, but only if you compare 2/3rds of this season to all of last

I dont think Merson is gonna be sweating over his future at Sky

Maybe they realise getting behind the boys on an internet forum will have no impact.
Hate to be the one to tell you that the players & manager have no interest in what we post during games.
Happy to post endless negative input tho and give tips on how we could be better....surely that's even more irrelevant

Negative? Someone called me out and I responded with the reason why I didn't comment. I think if someone doesn't watch the game they don't have the right to comment on the game. Fairly sensible and obvious stuff.

I'm very happy we won, but I still think it was the wrong formation. Is what it is.
So the "right" formation.....your formation...... would have won 10-0?

Your in the wrong job mate....Give Leicester a call, heard there's a vacancy

343 is clearly the 'right' formation for us - we look more defensively solid and it gets Eriksen, Dele and Kane into positions where they can score and assist.

There isn't really a lot more to football than finding a system in which you score more and concede less.

We drew the 2nd half..........
#pochout

Yep the wrong formation won 4-0
Of course it is. I said we need more goal scorers and we're too reliant.

You reply every club is reliant on 2-3 players.

I point out how the variety of goal scorers and numbers have dropped, as evidence of why we're too reliant.

You reply I'm going off topic; fail to see how.
Too reliant on Kane and teams will mark him out? Yet he's scored 30 goals the other year, some 27 last year and now he's on 22 having missed 7wks. Basically on course to hit 35 this season.....

Who exactly has found him out?

You're missing the point massively.

For now I guess Poch will stick with what works and not play our 3rd top goal scorer - a mistake imo, but each to their own.

Agreed, i think he will drop Kane and Dele and play Janssen and Sissoko, common fucking sense if you ask me.......

Last edited:
Yep the wrong formation won 4-0

Too reliant on Kane and teams will mark him out? Yet he's scored 30 goals the other year, some 27 last year and now he's on 22 having missed 7wks. Basically on course to hit 35 this season.....

Who exactly has found him out?

so Kane has gone from being a 1 season wonder, to only scoring tap ins or pens, now I'm guessing you could argue he only score hat tricks? :kanehand:

Yet another comfortable win at the fortress, isn't that something like 8 on the trot now??
Absolutely sublime first half and stepped off the gas second half as job was done.

Hope Toby and Jan are ok, would've liked Vincent to come on at half time and Harry to have taken a well earns rest.

The atmosphere was a bit flat today and a stoke fans are shite, there was a small group of them that were singing Champions league and you fucked it up, over and over..

Nice 3 points and another hat trick for that Pub player Harry Kane..

Everton next, which I expect a tough game. If Toby and Jan are fit then I expect the same team, unless Rose if fit then he will go straight in.

Jan and Toby to keep Lukaku quiet hopefully.

First "home match", wembley aside, since September. Got to be honest, I was expecting the worst for some reason, but fair play, the lads did us proud with that first half. Second half was always gonna be a bit of an anti climax. I would put that flat (ish) atmosphere down to 4 things. Our poor form of late, Sunday lunch time, the fact it was Stoke, and because it was such a stroll in the park. Obvious MoM Kane. Dele seemed to be pulling out of one or two tackles he would usually have gone in for.And before anyone mentions it, yes, it does look like a new stadium next door. Finally, nice to see the Yid chants given to crouch down in the corner. And a good ovation when he was subbed.

1-0 Efficient.
2-0 Professional.
3-0 Ruthless.
4-0 Job Done.

4-0 at home to a Stoke team we only drew to last season is a good days' work in my book...
Many were comparing this game (pre-match) to the WBA game... well, we drew (annoyingly) against them too last season... and wiped the floor with them this.
4-0 in both games tells its' own story...
...we have improved massively, and hopefully, learned some lessons from both corresponding games last year!

I still believe... the title may be a long shot... but 2nd isn't. It's well within our grasp... and I only hope we take last seasons' painful lesson, and learn from it... it seems we already are!

I see Jayc1 Jayc1 is in the thread moaning that everything's not good enough yet again. Fucking hell. That first half display was scintillating. Another hattrick for Kane.....and yet he immediately looks for what he thinks isn't good enough to advance another whine.

This guy is a Gooner troll. No question. I'm sick of reading his negative diatribe after every result, not matter how good or bad the game is. He's no Lilywhite. If we won the FA Cup the first thing he'd do is moan that we didn't win it 20-0 and that it should've been the Champion's League Final.

Tedious cunt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom