Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know our Belgian CBS have won the league with Ajax. Other than that, who on our team has experience in winning trophies?
This also includes Poch
Basically yes. They haven't all played for Tottenham all their careers. Apart from a couple of Dutch titles, what have they won? If we bought an experienced player I'd expect he'd have won a few things.

Alderweireld - 3 eredivisie titles and 2 cups, plus La Liga and was in a champions league final
Vertonghen - two eredivisies and a cup
Dembélé - one eredivisie and a cup
Eriksen - 3 eredivisie titles and 2 cups
Davies - 1 league cup
Wanyama - 2 scottish leagues and 1 cup

Both Lloris and Sissoko were in the Euro 2016 final recently too.

That's more than enough experience of winning a league and cups to discount anything to do with 'inexperience'. Even with eyes open watching the game, it's not what inexperience looks like.

What experience do these other clubs we're playing have? Did I miss the raft of honours shared amongst the gent locker room?

We are still shite at the back - gent hardly threatened over both legs, had 3 shots on target over both games and we conceded 3 goals. That's why we lost, no other reason. May as well had Kane in goal again.

Sneaky dig? :pochserious:

Not a sneaky dig.

Pochettino is a manager who knows how to get the best of our players.

Redknapp was a manager who knew how to get the best out of a team.

We used to squash teams like Gent with our reserves under Redknapp - not because he was a better manager, but because he had tactical nouse - something Pochettino is extremely naive over and needs to learn if we are going to start getting serious about winning honours

Alderweireld - 3 eredivisie titles and 2 cups, plus La Liga and was in a champions league final
Davies - 1 league cup

That's more than enough experience of winning a league and cups to discount anything to do with 'inexperience'. Even with eyes open watching the game, it's not what inexperience looks like.

What experience do these other clubs we're playing have? Did I miss the raft of honours shared amongst the gent locker room?

We are still shite at the back - gent hardly threatened over both legs, had 3 shots on target over both games and we conceded 3 goals. That's why we lost, no other reason. May as well had Kane in goal again.

Not a sneaky dig.

We used to squash teams like Gent with our reserves under Redknapp - not because he was a better manager, but because he had tactical nouse - something Pochettino is extremely naive over and needs to learn if we are going to start getting serious about winning honours

Lol. They really are the glittering prizes. Ok mate, so we have the youngest team, but one of the most experienced? Right.

I don't agree about Poch and Redknapp so it's just opinion. Redknapp to my eyes created a great team to play 4-4-2. I don't remember him as tactical guru, but that might be my failing.

Davies - 1 league cup

Not a sneaky dig.

You bring a good argument to the title experience. So what in your opinion is the problem?

You bring a good argument to the title experience. So what in your opinion is the problem?

I think it's glaring, but no one wants to admit it.

Managerial naivety. We've seen it in nearly every game this calendar year.

It never looks like we've bothered to study the opposition, yet teams play us and know exactly what our weaknesses are.

I think it's glaring, but no one wants to admit it.

Managerial naivety. We've seen it in nearly every game this calendar year.

It never looks like we've bothered to study the opposition, yet teams play us and know exactly what our weaknesses are.
But we look great in the league. Would you assume he studies PL teams but couldn't care less about studying European clubs for a match?

But we look great in the league. Would you assume he studies PL teams but couldn't care less about studying European clubs for a match?

Do we? We struggled in our last three, and even the pundits are bemused as to why we're not beating teams with obvious tactical vulnerabilities.

I think we're doing well in spite of Pochettino's "areas for improvement", and that's due to his ability to work with individuals.

Do we? We struggled in our last three, and even the pundits are bemused as to why we're not beating teams with obvious tactical vulnerabilities.

I think we're doing well in spite of Pochettino's "areas for improvement", and that's due to his ability to work with individuals.
Last season we did excellent, this season we have been excellent. I think have looked great this season, you don't?

We'd look like shit in the CL and then follow that performance up by a brilliant league game. There is a disconnect somewhere.

Last season we did excellent, this season we have been excellent. I think have looked great this season, you don't?

We'd look like shit in the CL and then follow that performance up by a brilliant league game. There is a disconnect somewhere.

I think we've looked better in some areas, but not in others.

This season we've got 2 more points after 25 games than we did last season - winning one more and drawing one less. We've also scored one more (46 vs 45) and conceded one less (18 vs 19).

Last season, with our final 13 games, we won 6, drew 4 and lost 3.

Our final 13 games this season are:

H - Stoke
H - Everton
H - Southampton
A - Burnley
A - Swansea
H - Watford
H- Bournemouth
A - Leicester
H - Woolwich cunts
A - West Athletics Ltd
H - Man Utd
A - Hull

and then Palace was postponed, so shoe horn that away game in somewhere.

On paper, we shouldn't be dropping points to many there. How he handles those games will define what he's learnt this season.

Last edited:
We played well enough. Bad call for the corner and lucky own goal fucked us, then Dele made it much more of a task.
Yet its back to not taking chances. Every time I have been there in Europe its been the same.

No balance without Rose.
Davies has not convinced me at all, ever.
If we would have had as much from the left as form the right with a marauding, bullying Rose, they wouldn't have known what hit them.
As it was, they could disregard Davies and our left, until Son came on. But then we were a man light.
It also got a bit repetitive and predictable .
Still the initial anger of the disappointment has dissipated.
Cant wallow in it, it's done.
We have to look forward to the next game and make sure our season doesn't fall apart.

We played well enough. Bad call for the corner and lucky own goal fucked us, then Dele made it much more of a task.
Yet its back to not taking chances. Every time I have been there in Europe its been the same.

No balance without Rose.
Davies has not convinced me at all, ever.
If we would have had as much from the left as form the right with a marauding, bullying Rose, they wouldn't have known what hit them.
As it was, they could disregard Davies and our left, until Son came on. But then we were a man light.
It also got a bit repetitive and predictable .
Still the initial anger of the disappointment has dissipated.
Cant wallow in it, it's done.
We have to look forward to the next game and make sure our season doesn't fall apart.

That's actually a pretty favourable run in. I take it the other 5 have more difficult ones ?

Difficult to dream up a better one, but we struggled to break down sunderland so maybe it's not as straightfoward as it looks.

Chelsea

H - Swansea
A - Wet Spank
A - Stoke
H - Palace
H - City
A - Bournemouth
A - Man Utd
H - SCBC
A - Everton
H - Boro
A - West Brom

Liverpool

A - Leicester
H - Arse
H - Burnley
A - City
H - Everton
H - Bournemouth
A - Stoke
A - West Brom
H - Palace
A - Watford
H - SCBC
A - London Hammers plc

Jammy Cunts

A - Liverpool
A - West Brom
H - City
H - Brady Bunch
A - Palace
A - Boro
H - Sunderland
A - us
H - Man Utd
A - Stoke

I assume arse have some fixtures left to be rescheduled, as I can only find those 10. They're the only team that have to play most of the top 4/5, so have a perceivably harder run in - but they'll probably win the lot

Back
Top Bottom