Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's refusal to attack with wingers makes it incredibly difficult for Jansen to get into games I feel. Imagine having Son and GKN bombing down the wings, lobbing in crosses and Jansen powering them at goal or knocking it down to Dele. Imagine we just tried playing like Monaco even once. We have players capable of making good runs into the box and getting onto the end of crosses, yet we rarely seem to have one making that run. Why have we been so insistent on trying to pass the ball into the fucking net this year?

On the telly last night did they say that 80,000 tickets had been sold for the next leg? 80,000? For a Europa League game?

If so I'm wary of what the atmosphere will be like. The rock bottom prices must have attracted thousands and thousands of tourists who want to see a game at Wembley for £10.
I doubt it'll be much different from the champions league games. After the shit show last night we need a win and a good performance so I'm hoping the atmosphere will be decent. Unless Gent score first, then it'll be shit.

Shit performance last night. Can't shake the feeling that some of our players have a bad attitude when it comes to games they think they are going to stroll through.

There is zero excuse for that starting 11 to not beat a Gent side that wasn't even full strength.

They should be embarrassed by that performance and I'd expect to see some reaction at the weekend/next week!

Bitterly disappointing result & performance last night. But we will beat them handsomely next week.
Because of how the tie is balanced, I'm certain it will be as near a full house as possible & people who may have thought "we are already through/out, ticket was only a fiver, it's a cold/wet night, travelling is awkward tonight, have got something that's come up" will hopefully turn out en masse.
You can also guarantee that Gent fans will be even more eager to snap up any remaining tickets having seen last night's performance & result. Let's not dwell on the ommishambles. Next Thursday will be a cracker.

I'd expect to see some reaction at the weekend/next week!
giphy-3_zpsc3ng8pq3.gif

plan for next thursday? if I get the train, couple jars at liverpool street around 3ish...then head up to Wembley. Good boozer suggestions please?

Anyone who was there yesterday ? What did you make of the city, the ground and the atmosphere ? The Gent fans normally do 90 mins full singing and chanting, yesterday was quite good in that aspect but curious to see if that was also the impression you got in the away end. I also think that a lot of heavy beers killed the spurs away end a bit as they were unusally quiet.

Still not sure what to make of both teams competing against eachother, was proud of the way Gent played and how vocal the fans were but at the same time, Spurs annoyed the hell out of me. And i've seen people criticise Dembele but the moment he went off was the moment Gent took full control over the midfield.

Our European away form is so poor - not sure why the media think yesterday was some sort of big upset, we never win those type of games.
The unbelievable arrogance that comes from English football is incredible. Fans not just of Tottenham, but ALL clubs, is fucking embarrassing. I have seen very few comments from supporters, commentators, media and press acknowledge how well Gent played last night. A team that has a better or on par recent European record to ours. This team having won the league, qualified for CL and then qualified for the CL knockout stages.
We are all programmed to be arrogant cunts, made even worse by not knowing fuck all about the team they are playing against, no one could name a single player, how they play but dispite this go into the game with the attitude we will turn over a team. Beggars belief when you think about it.
Exactly the same with the national team. Know fuck all about the team we are playing, ignore a far superior record to ours (e.g Uruagay) think we are far better, get well beaten then moan about how bad we are, while still not acknowledging the other team is better.

Last edited:
The unbelievable arrogance that comes from English football is incredible. Fans not just of Tottenham, but ALL clubs, is fucking embarrassing. I have seen very few comments from supporters, commentators, media and press acknowledge how well Gent played last night. A team that has a better or on par recent European record to ours. This team having won the league, qualified for CL and then qualified for the CL knockout stages.
We are all programmed to be arrogant cunts, made even worse by not knowing fuck all about the team they are playing against, no one could name a single player, how they play but dispite this go into the game with the attitude we will turn over a team. Beggars believe when you think about it.
Exactly the same with the national team. Know fuck all about the team we are playing, ignore a far superior record to ours (e.g Uruagay) think we are far better, get well beaten then moan about how bad we are, while still not acknowledging the other team is better.

Agree with all of that - we were still really poor last night though.

We need to find a way to play 343 regardless of injuries I think, I'd like to see Walker-Peters start left wing back against Fulham.

The reason we have done so well under poch is his inflexibility. One of the main reasons we have not won anything yet under poch is because of his inflexibility.

Yeah he's a stubborn fucker and that means he'll never accept his teams not giving their all - but that same attitude means he won't set his team up to draw.

Agree with all of that - we were still really poor last night though.

We need to find a way to play 343 regardless of injuries I think, I'd like to see Walker-Peters start left wing back against Fulham.
Agree to a degree, however it ignores the fact how the oppo played. They played with 3 at the back, the only team we have played well against who have gone 3 at the back against us was Chelsea at home, then have to go back to QPR (first half) at home when Redknapp was their manager. Also, when they scored, we had switched to 3 at the back, they got behind our defences for the first time in the game and scored because we left space behind the FB.

Back
Top Bottom