Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Eric Dier Lifecycle...

2014/15
Lauded as one of our best CBs

August 2015/16
Moved to cover DM. Everyone says he's shit and we're cheaping out

September 2015/16
Lauded as one of our best DMs, and everyone is glad we didn't get Schneiderlin

2016/17
Back at CB, playing gash

Last edited:
Dier is playing pretty far out of position right now as a LCB. I don't think it's a surprise to his form suffering as a result. We have a tough conundrum right now as I don't think him and Wanyama can coexist in midfield. I really do like seeing Dier in the RCB role of a back three though and think he can be excellent for us there while we have Wanyama.

He looks very tired right now though and needs a rest, as do most of the rest of the team. Hopefully Jan can get healthy again and we can back to a back 3 and Dier back to RCB.

Dier cannot see a pass, that is why he takes so long to move the ball forward, teams have picked up on this and pressure him into mistakes, this is something that should be coached out of him & the team in training, its called coaching, something we used to do with our kids, we see a problem or want to make changes so on a training night we coaching how we want it done
its not that hard, but it does mean you have to coach, not just get players fit then let them play a few practice matches

We used to have a term for players like Dier - Utility Player.
The term has gone out of fashion but given our lack of squad depth, I think that is his best role - to come plug the gaps when a 1st team defender or midfielder gets injured.
We have two options:
- ENIC invest £300million in building squad depth
- We make Eric the best Utility player in World Football!

Really want to see him back in the midfield, really do think were a better side with dier holding rather than wanyama.

Agree; Wanyama looks like he's doing a good job, but he's as destructive to the balance of the team as he is opposition attacks. The Dier/Dembele axis was perfect and brought out the best in both players as well as the team in general; it needs to be restored.

Dier has suffered because the reality is he isn't more than a mediocre defender; Pocchettino's vision put him on a pedestal in midfield, and now his insistence on pushing him back to accomodate VW has knocked him off it. It was fair to say he was one of the best players in his position in Europe last season; the only British player I've seen with such tactical intelligence, metronomic passing and brawn is Gareth Barry, who literally carried Toure at City, and Eric eclipses him in mobility and potential. He was a monster for England against Getmany last year.

Wanyama should be converted into a defender instead, and allow Dier to reforge his positive career trajectory.

The term has gone out of fashion but given our lack of squad depth, I think that is his best role - to come plug the gaps when a 1st team defender or midfielder gets injured.
We have two options:
I think he is a first team defender in a back 3. Just not in a back 4.

He is a defensive midfielder, who isn't as good as Wanyama in that role.
He is also a good defender but not as good as Toby and Jan at reading the game, and doesn't have Danny and Walker's pace to compete at left or right back.
But because he can play in many different roles (utility player) and do a good job when those players get injured, he is a very important player for us.

We have two options:
I think he'll end up as a top dm

Dier's having it tough this season imho. Wanyama's arrival/injuries to CBs means no settled starting role for young Eric, who hasn't hit the heights of last year's performances.

For me, he is a monster DM who, when compared to Wanyama, can pick a pass more than 5 -10 yards aside from the obvious destructive abilities.

Although I hate saying it, but the lad needs a rest, physical and moreover mentally. Too many errors at CB are so unforgiving at this level, and he isn't Toby or Jan in that respect.

We tend to forget how young some of these guys are, only in their 2nd/3rd full PL seasons. They're only going to improve with more experience and Poch's coaching.

Not good enough at centre half.

Zero awareness of what's around him, awful positioning and too slow on the ball. No wonder why Everton gave up on him when he was a kid if he was there as a centre half.

It's all so surprising because when he plays in midfield he IS aware, maybe Toby being behind him meant he was controlled where to be which he obviously doesn't get being beside him and his positioning is so much better in midfield - he's also not slow on the ball in midfield and I wonder if that's just a confidence thing, also if he lost the ball in midfield, he could always run back with time and had Toby and Jan behind him to mop up.

But man, he should NEVER ever play centre back again - even in a three unless we are literally down to the last legs. I'd much rather Toby/Wimmer/Jan in all honesty.

As I said before, the lad looks jaded, and his concentration/awareness/ability are suffering as a result, and in turn the team suffers.
Along with Kane last season, he was pivotal, that insurance policy sitting in front of Toby & Jan. Quick over the pitch, cutting out danger and starting attacks from deep.

He just seems low on confidence and down, not sure why.

Eriksen took a corner and he just stood there staring at the ground, not even aware of what's going on around him. If you have a chance to score and you know a ball is going to be whipped in any second, why on earth are you staring at the ground?

He never looks sure of himself and doesn't seem very aggressive. Last year he'd throw himself into every 50/50 with no fucks given, often taking the player out with him. This year he seems to lose almost every 50/50, barely challenges for the ball.

Was well beaten for the first goal today, didn't even jump to defend the corner. He did absolutely nothing for the second goal either.

Needs his confidence back ASAP imo and I think Wanyama needs a rest too.

Not good enough at centre half.

Zero awareness of what's around him, awful positioning and too slow on the ball. No wonder why Everton gave up on him when he was a kid if he was there as a centre half.

It's all so surprising because when he plays in midfield he IS aware, maybe Toby being behind him meant he was controlled where to be which he obviously doesn't get being beside him and his positioning is so much better in midfield - he's also not slow on the ball in midfield and I wonder if that's just a confidence thing, also if he lost the ball in midfield, he could always run back with time and had Toby and Jan behind him to mop up.

But man, he should NEVER ever play centre back again - even in a three unless we are literally down to the last legs. I'd much rather Toby/Wimmer/Jan in all honesty.

Agree that he isn't and should never be used as, a defender. Davies, Wanyama and even Carter-Vickers would be more solid options in there. I feel sorry for him as he's been moved out of his best position to accomodate Wanyama, despite being the more complete player.

The same has happened to Rashford; Ibrahimovic was brought in and he's been shoehorned onto the wing, with his form, momentum and reputation naturally suffering in the process.

Back
Top Bottom