Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

QUOTE="rusty, post: 1160902, member: 5915"]yes your right, but this summer we spent £60M on 3 players who if we had Jan, lamella, Rose available would not make the subs bench, and that is wear my disappointment comes from, we spent all that money this summer £80+M this summer and only Wayama could get into the team, so £60m of our hard earned has been wasted and no-one openly at the club takes the blame[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the way the game is these days £60M for 3 players is just the norm and going rate for players. Of course there are bargains out there - Wanyama being a prime example but there's also some massively overpriced players, Bolasie, Pogba, Stones, being 3 off the top of my head and there are several others out there. The other thing with us is that a lot of players would like at Spurs and think that rather being a squad player for us they'd rather go and be a squad player for another team which pays more money. I do genuinely think (and hope) this will change once we have moved to the new stadium though.

#please daniel

:avbpray:

It's a fucking football forum. It's where fans come and vent their anger at performances like today. Do you think that forums of the other top 5 would be full of sweetness and praise for their teams after a display like that. Of course not. Why should we be different? Why should we always be the ones expected to bend over and take it up the jotter. Why ???

Everyone on here has slated the performance and discussed where it went wrong..

No one has 'praised' the team.. It happens for fuck sake, sometimes it goes horribly wrong and today it did.

We have lost 2 of the best defenders in the league, of course we are not going to be as effective without them.

I love poch but this one was all on him for me.
Our team with rose, vertonghen and even lamela is one that can realistically go toe to toe with Liverpool and play them at their own game. However today we were without them, so he should have been a bit cannier. It would have been totally acceptable to go there and play defensively. Keep it tight. Look to at least leave with a draw so that we keep the same distance from one of our rivals. Maybe even nick a goal on the counter. This has been exactly how they've struggled in recent games. Instead we go there with half our first choice back four missing, eriksen and son in front who are never the sort of players to win physical battles (which we should have expected) and we play right into their hands.

Yes there were some poor individual errors/displays. But in this case I feel that was just a symptom of them not having the right shape or personnel to deal with Liverpool.

I'm all for the glory of the game but titles are often won by being smart. 0-0 at a field would have been totally acceptable for me.

Anyway onwards and upwards. On the positive side, its early feb and we just played our last game this season away at a top 6 rival and we only have to play two more of them at home. Confident we'll finish 4th

Are you suggesting we lost because we went at them!? We were in their box once.

We lost from sitting back and getting caught in possession, not from being caught out attacking them

When it comes to playing the top 6 teams away, too much fannying in and around our own box against teams hell bent on pressing is too just painful and frustrating to watch. The players also need to grasp or Poch needs to install that when under constant pressure and starved of possession for a period of time, the tricks and flicks don't come off and just invite pressure. Play it simple and get your 'eye' and rhythm back in first and then good things will follow.

yes your right, but this summer we spent £60M on 3 players who if we had Jan, lamella, Rose available would not make the subs bench, and that is wear my disappointment comes from, we spent all that money this summer £80+M this summer and only Wayama could get into the team, so £60m of our hard earned has been wasted and no-one openly at the club takes the blame

Sorry I fucked up quoting your post in my reply...

Unfortunately the way the game is these days £60M for 3 players is just the norm and going rate for players. Of course there are bargains out there - Wanyama being a prime example but there's also some massively overpriced players, Bolasie, Pogba, Stones, being 3 off the top of my head and there are several others out there. The other thing with us is that a lot of players would like at Spurs and think that rather being a squad player for us they'd rather go and be a squad player for another team which pays more money. I do genuinely think (and hope) this will change once we have moved to the new stadium though.

#please daniel

:avbpray:

We are in the EL on Thurs, FAC soon and sitting top 4 in the PL-unveaten at home and have 3 decent players to return.

Liverpool have Fuck all other than top 4. Klopp purposely and was happy to get knocked out the cups because top 4 is what he wants=desperate. They are not good enough to fight on more than one front.
I do think poch would sacrifice the cups for the top 4 too though. Its modern football.
But we will know more after the up & coming team selections.

I think people need to get a bit of perspective from somewhere. Today we were shit. We approached the game wrong tactically. It was away to a team who we have a history of struggling against, who to their credit have yet to lose to a top six contender this season (which thankfully they make up for by losing to relegation fodder on a regular basis). It's right that we should be disappointed and talk about why this happened. BUT, we have only lost three games all season (all to top six sides) and we have played more of the tough fixtures than anyone else. We have an excellent manager and players coming back from injury. We're second place still. Those saying we are going to blow it based on this one game, saying we'll finish outside the top four need to stop melting and put stuff in perspective. It's fucking cringe, frankly.

Yeah, spot on. Today was like Newcastle at the end of last season - tactically played straight into their hands. Playing a quick ball onto runners is easily the best way to beat us, and when our defence and midfield have an off day... meh... it's ugly.

I do think poch would sacrifice the cups for the top 4 too though. Its modern football.
Your right of course. But the paradox is, we finish top 4 and sacrifice the Champions League for the Europa League. Then we sacrifice the Europa League for the top 4. I'm still struggling with it tbh

Very poor today but Davies isn't Rose - we all know that. Just thought we could have done more to protect him, going in we all knew it would depend on Davies v Mane. Just a bad day at the office.

Back
Top Bottom