Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

last Januray we had the chance to buy Charlie Austin, who would have helped Kane out, we didn't get him and we lost out on the league,
we mount all our hopes on a 20yr lad, and hope he will score for us

But you´ve just made the huge assumption that signing Austin = Title
He may have been equally shite.

We have developed this season and found ways to batter defensive teams.

WBA tried to park the bus and got spanked.

The players need to be more consistent in certain games. I still think we suffer from a false sense of being able to control a game at walking pace, not up the tempo and think the goal will come anyway by doing the same stuff that isnt working.

How many new signings have come to a team in January and secured silverwear?

Last edited:
During the Wycombe match there were too many people on this board vocally submitting well before 89 minute mark. The title is Chelsea's to lose. They certainly won't lose it if we don't try to catch them. Let's make a try of it at least, or we might as well change the motto to "To give up is to do".

A point, be it against the bottom side, is a point and moved us to second spot. We are genuine 2nd place and no matter what happens tonight we will stay there. ( 9 points behind Chelsea, closer than others. Chelsea will slip up , and we will push them close to the end. We need to keep faith and look at the positives. We mustn't get distracted now.

We were shit Mensa. I'm not going overboard, but we were shit. And we were shit at City. Wycombe doesn't count really, but we were shit against them also. Big opportunity missed tonight.
We were below par-theres no doubting that. There are moments in football were you have an odd day of results.
(The bottom teams are trying that little bit harder.)
We must ignore the opposition and focus on the result. A point away was a good result that moved us to second. Tonight will throw up some more odd results, Im sure of that. Im am pissed as anyone, I'm just hoping that we respond well on Saturday and against Liverpool.

Woolwich against the Chavs on Saturday lunchtime, one of those will be dropping points. We really need a response against Middlesborough in the late kick off.
A draw or Chelsea loss , we are back in it and putting pressure on Chelsea -but we will need to win our game and so slip ups. Im so confident that we will push them close to the end. Then anything can happen?

Just like last season though, results go our way, we have a chance to close gaps and create some and we falter. I mean you could say the players wouldn't have known the results when playing but it just seems to happen to us.

But you´ve just made the huge assumption that signing Austin = Title
He may have been equally shite.

We have developed this season and found ways to batter defensive teams.

WBA tried to park the bus and got spanked.

The players need to be more consistent in certain games. I still think we suffer from a false sense of being able to control a game at walking pace, not up the tempo and think the goal will come anyway by doing the same stuff that isnt working.

How many new signings have come to a team in January and secured silverwear?

The argument against Charlie Austin was that he is not physically capable of playing the pressing game, which is true. He is basically a park footballer who has fought his way through the system via non-League, not an Academy product who has had top quality conditioning and technique training since he was 10.
Charlie is very good in and around the box, with the knack of putting the ball in the net. Personally, I think that he would give us more off the bench against bus parking teams than Sissoko does.
It is never going to happen though.

I've been saying for some time now we're just lacking a top notch creative midfielder to give our attack that extra dimension, I like Eriksen but he has yet to convince at a consistent level. Lets just enjoy the fact we're now consistent challengers for the top 4, some big teams will lose out this year and hopefully it won't be us.

The argument against Charlie Austin was that he is not physically capable of playing the pressing game, which is true. He is basically a park footballer who has fought his way through the system via non-League, not an Academy product who has had top quality conditioning and technique training since he was 10.
Charlie is very good in and around the box, with the knack of putting the ball in the net. Personally, I think that he would give us more off the bench against bus parking teams than Sissoko does.
It is never going to happen though.

Its a great point.....but with Poch giving Janssen 6 minutes in games like this, where Kane literally did not touch the ball, Im not so confident he would throw in Austin anyway, with any significant time to make an impact.

We didn't lose! A cold night in a 3rd world town.. 2nd in the league! other teams in top half aint gunna beat them at their place! They are in a real scrap.
Home against Boro.. bounce back into a good performance and take that to Anfield! COME ON YOU SPURS

This was the type of game that shows why a true marquee signing makes a difference, we don't need a player like Hazard for the big games but in games like these that type of player makes you a true challenger in stead of a top 4-6 club. The problem is that there are very few players like that, and that they all earn a lot more then we will ever pay.

This was the type of game that shows why a true marquee signing makes a difference, we don't need a player like Hazard for the big games but in games like these that type of player makes you a true challenger in stead of a top 4-6 club. The problem is that there are very few players like that, and that they all earn a lot more then we will ever pay.

Either that or they don't fancy a scrappy wet Tuesday up north and don't turn up, which a player like Hazard has also shown he is more than capable of.

Either that or they don't fancy a scrappy wet Tuesday up north and don't turn up, which a player like Hazard has also shown he is more than capable of.
Last year yes but the year before and this year he's been a a true force for them, esp in games where the opponent needs to be broken with a piece of genius. Most top teams have a player like that, we do not.

Last year yes but the year before and this year he's been a a true force for them, esp in games where the opponent needs to be broken with a piece of genius. Most top teams have a player like that, we do not.
Except when Eriksen, Kane and Dele all turn up and we call them world class material.......

We have those players. Last night they were poor.

Unless you mean a marquee bench warmer who can come in and is happy to sit there

I'm not specifically referencing Hazard to be honest. Just saying that in the current climate, where power is so skewed in the favour of the players, that a top level signing does not guarantee performance and can sometimes actually end up being detrimental. But i guess im just being pedantic ; )

Back
Top Bottom