Tottenham Hotspur v. Wycombe Wanderers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our team of 10 put four past their opponents to progress into the next round of the FA cup, and you can't accept it.

HxXFQAf.gif
Read the post. Where did I say that I can't accept it? Our team of ten, put one past a near Conference team.
We were very nearly Liverpool today. Play anyone decent with that side today and we would have been humiliated.
Still, there's always the Wenger Cup.

The FA could go a long way towards restoring the prestige of the FA Cup by giving its winner a Champions League place rather than fourth place in the PL.

Got to disagree with on this, you'd be getting to the continent's elite competition on the back of just six wins, some of which may well have been against very modest opponents.

The best team in the league always end up champions, that patently isn't the case for the FA Cup. It's fucking amazing to win it, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't make you on of the 4 best teams in the country.

LIke DeeGee, I'd like to see a return to the old European trophy system, but as others have said, unfortunately it will never happen

Read the post. Where did I say that I can't accept it?

Why do we continue to disrespect the best Cup competition in the world.?
There are kids who came for their first game today, paying good money.
Poch, proving that he has learned nothing from the Villa game, makes ten changes. We were almost bested by the equivalent of a Fourth Division side today.
It is simply not acceptable for fans of Tottenham Hotspur F.C. to have to suffer that.
This is a competition where we have a glorious heritage. We are better than that.

Unless you're not a Tottenham Hotspur FC fan? In which case, my mistake.

:memelol:

What the hell just happened??? We got away with one today. I hope Poch has learnt from this near miss..

A great comeback and all that but what a risk to take..
I have no problem paying to watch weakened team as it's expected these days, but 10 of that 11 would not start in our best team, they haven't played as a team before where as Wycombe are used to playing together week in week out. Ypu need 3 or 4 first team regulars and not a team of fringe players.

I would also like to be able to say Wycombe were great and unlucky/fair play etc, but they weren't they were nothing but dirty rugby tackling cloggers. Some of the fouls they were allowed to get away with was criminal, the old lets rough em up bullshit. The ref was also caught up in the romance of the giant killing, some of his calls were baffling to say the least.

Lets take it serious from now on and go all out to win the bleeding thing..

200.gif
Roger East the refs name. Had his ability as a PL ref questioned before. Been accused of not wing able to manage games and players and making bad decisions. Probably why he has only been chosen a handful of times by the PGMOL to take charge of PL games this season.

What the hell just happened??? We got away with one today. I hope Poch has learnt from this near miss..

A great comeback and all that but what a risk to take..
I have no problem paying to watch weakened team as it's expected these days, but 10 of that 11 would not start in our best team, they haven't played as a team before where as Wycombe are used to playing together week in week out. Ypu need 3 or 4 first team regulars and not a team of fringe players.

I would also like to be able to say Wycombe were great and unlucky/fair play etc, but they weren't they were nothing but dirty rugby tackling cloggers. Some of the fouls they were allowed to get away with was criminal, the old lets rough em up bullshit. The ref was also caught up in the romance of the giant killing, some of his calls were baffling to say the least.

Lets take it serious from now on and go all out to win the bleeding thing..

200.gif
Roger East the refs name. Had his ability as a PL ref questioned before. Been accused of not being able to manage games and players and making bad decisions. Probably why he has only been chosen a handful of times by the PGMOL to take charge of PL games this season.

Last edited:
Is it why are non_English managers devaluing the cup? Am thinking of Klopp here but at least Poch reacted with changes.
The point was the FA devalued it by making the oldest most watched domestic cup competition in the world the Emirates FA Cup. Their excuse being most £ would go to gras roots football. As if they aren't awash with money anyway to do that.
So We need to sell our FAcup to help grass roots football yet they threw away money on Wembley with mismanagement
Greedy self serving dinosaurs
I also think the CL and EL formats have damaged it to an extent.

Last edited:
I also think the CL and EL formats have damaged it to an extent.
That played a big part in it. Winning the FA cup used to give the winner entry in the Europacup 2. A competion exclusively for cup winners of the major domestic trophy of each country; a proper competion of its own. Teams that participated actually won somethimg big domestically, so they all deserved to be there.

Nowadays winning the FA cup gives you entry in the EL, to play against sup-top teams from other countries, teams that got in due to fair play, teams that failed in the play-offs for the CL, teams that got third in their CL groups and winners of the lesser important domestic trophies such as our League cup...

That's not the FA's decision to make. It's UEFA who decides how teams qualify for the CL.
If the associations and clubs got together and siad they didn't like the CL format it could change. They just don't participate.
However the big clubs of Europe like it, it keeps them at the top and makes them more money too.
Clubs who get more money going out in the round of 32 than some who will win it , because of thier ' value'
This enables them to keep the status quo.
Really the CL has become a mini super league.
Last 10 years since 06
Man U Liverpool Woolwich Chelsea 4 seasons on the trot.
09/10 Liverpool out Spurs in.
10/11 - 13/14 Spurs out Man City in.
13/14 Liverpool in Man U out
14/15 Back to Liverpool out and Man U in until last year.
Woolwich have never been out of it, Chelsea once, Man U twice and Liverpool have been replaced by Man City bar us twice and LCFC once.

I think that's why it's important for us to try our best to make sure we are a consistent top 4 side.
It will be hard, but it's the only way to make sure we get more income and are seen as an attractive offer for players which we then can afford (wage bills)
If we can dislodge one of City, Man U Liverpool, Chelsea or Woolwich for two seasons on a trot, with what we have now, it will set us up nicely for our move, bring in more revenue and with our new stadium make us a force.

Last edited:
That played a big part in it. Winning the FA cup used to give the winner entry in the Europacup 2. A competion exclusively for cup winners of the major domestic trophy of each country; a proper competion of its own. Teams that participated actually won somethimg big domestically, so they all deserved to be there.

Nowadays winning the FA cup gives you entry in the EL, to play against sup-top teams from other countries, teams that got in due to fair play, teams that failed in the play-offs for the CL, teams that got third in their CL groups and winners of the lesser important domestic trophies such as our League cup...
The cup winners cup was a cup to be proud of.
A pick of some of the finals
Juve v Porto.
Spurs v atletico
Dortmund v Liverpool
Chelsea v Real Madrid
Man U v Barca
Woolwich v Parma
Barca v PSG
Bayern v Rangers

The cup winners cup was a cup to be proud of.
A pick of some of the finals
Juve v Porto.
Spurs v atletico
Dortmund v Liverpool
Chelsea v Real Madrid
Man U v Barca
Woolwich v Parma
Barca v PSG
Bayern v Rangers

Don't forget the best final of all my man

One for the teenagers who get the significance

I think that's why it's important for us to try our best to make sure we are a consistent top 4 side.
It will be hard, but it's the only way to make sure we get more income and are seen as an attractive offer for players which we then can afford (wage bills)
If we can dislodge one of City, Man U Liverpool, Chelsea or Woolwich for two seasons on a trot, with what we have now, it will set us up nicely for our move, bring in more revenue and with our new stadium make us a force.
I think it's safe to say we've dislodged Pool from that list.

Yes we need to rest players but not 10, it did not work against Villa and did not work today. Proof was having to bring on 3 subs by 60 mins and this caused us to play with 10 men for 15 mins. Our first half performance was crap. The 2 nd half was better and we only conceded because we had no RB. We scored 4. The 2nd half team was the standard needed. I know it is easy to be wise after the event but let's be wise and never make so many changes again. 4 matches left to win the FACup and the final is after the end of the premiership is finished. Next match depending on the draw we must start a stronger team and try and win it early and then bring players off.
We nearly ended up with a replay which would have been worse than starting a couple of 1st teamers.

I think it's safe to say we've dislodged Pool from that list.
Maybe, but like I said they have 3 games in 23 days in Feb
We have 6 in 22 days in the same month.
If we progress in both cup competitions we will be doing more of the same.
It's far from a certainty at the moment

Yes we need to rest players but not 10, it did not work against Villa and did not work today. Proof was having to bring on 3 subs by 60 mins and this caused us to play with 10 men for 15 mins. Our first half performance was crap. The 2 nd half was better and we only conceded because we had no RB. We scored 4. The 2nd half team was the standard needed. I know it is easy to be wise after the event but let's be wise and never make so many changes again. 4 matches left to win the FACup and the final is after the end of the premiership is finished. Next match depending on the draw we must start a stronger team and try and win it early and then bring players off.
We nearly ended up with a replay which would have been worse than starting a couple of 1st teamers.

Well, it did work as we won both games and so progressed in the FA cup.

Back
Top Bottom