Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought Sherwood had a good first season for us and then his legs appeared to go.
That was the usual transfer policy at the time though, spending big money on 29/30 year old's getting a good season out of them and then their legs packing up and being lumbered with a large wage bill for them as well as a couple of seasons of dross before finally binning them off on a free or nominal amount i.e. Sherwood, Ferdinand, Leonhardsen, Ziege etc etc.
Absolutely mate. I find our new policy far more constructive, rather than temporarily plugging holes. I do like the idea of a mercurial big signing to sprinkle a bit of gold dust over the team, but would be worried that such a player would cause disharmony within the squad. We are ticking along very nicely.

Absolutely mate. I find our new policy far more constructive, rather than temporarily plugging holes. I do like the idea of a mercurial big signing to sprinkle a bit of gold dust over the team, but would be worried that such a player would cause disharmony within the squad. We are ticking along very nicely.

I agree wholly we have gone within 15 years from one of the highest net spending clubs to the one of the lowest whilst shooting up the league at the same time.

TBF, I quite liked Sherwood as a player. He just went all weird when he thought he could manage a top club with no experience. Had he been more humble & accepted a caretaker role after AVB left, I think he'd have retained a lot more respect (& probably his job with the youth set up).
And in spite of his technical limitations I will always think very fondly of Freund. A Yiddo.
Having said that, our midfield is extremely strong these days.

Good times.

Sherwood's biggest problem was the moment he realised that a lot of Top Managers (Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger) were nothing particularly special as players...
:sherwoodlol:

...whereas many supremely gifted/great players were awful managers; Hoddle, Ardiles, Roy Keane, Paul Gascoigne, Marco Van Basten, Gullit, Maradona... the list goes on!

I think Sherwood thought that being a bang average player meant you were almost certain to be a fantastic manager...

APPARENTLY, NOT SO!
:sherwoodwtf:

Meanwhile... I think Freund* would probably make a truly excellent manager...

*see above criteria! :freund:

You know what fucks me off, other than 90% of people on here?

The way the media creams over John fucking Stones when Eric Dier is an infinitely better defender. Annoying how little attention he gets. He's possibly our best value-for-money signing in the past 3-4 years.

You know what fucks me off, other than 90% of people on here?

The way the media creams over John fucking Stones when Eric Dier is an infinitely better defender. Annoying how little attention he gets. He's possibly our best value-for-money signing in the past 3-4 years.
He's great. I think the only reason he gets spared hype (considering his age and Englishness) is because of how amazing some of our other players are.

He's below the Alderweireld/Kane/Lloris/Alli tier of player, but he's also underrated because his job isn't a flashy one. Considering that he's already great at 23 in a role where experience is a massive benefit: he'll keep getting better and could join the others as one of our 'top' boys.

Best value for money alongside Alli, and I hope we make more signings like that.

I rekon Dier's natural position is right in a back three. He will thrive there. All three can pick a pass and all three take no prisoners. The question is Davies or Wimmer to replace Vertonghen?

Dier is a quality player, although he looks a little out-of-form and maybe his confidence has taken a knock with Victor coming in and bossing it. He will have a run in the side now in defense; he also scores the odd goal which is always a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom