The Mighty Poch Men vs. Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the longest in the shower?

• Total voters
Poor first

Deserved all 3 points after 90. The ref was a joke. Lamela is a key player and Janssen is going to force Poch into a formation change. What a signing he is looking to be!

Or force him to rest Kane for a while.

Wildly curious as to how 3 of the England boys (HK, ED and DA) look competely knackered even now, while Walker is happily buzzing away.

Back to topic: Janssen was good enough and his work ethic was first class, on and off the ball.

A few players, including Vic and Eriksen who has long summers, need to take a long look in the mirror here.

You can say that I am coping but I think that not many teams will leave Goodison Park with the three points so it's better to have a hard game out of the way, they will definitely improve under Koeman.
That being said, Alli and Eriksen were poor today.

Don't know what you were watching but on my feed it seemed quite clear that Poch called Lamela over to give directions as he and Eriksen swapped wings etc. Lamela was also involved in the Copa and IIRC the Argies went to the finals.

And what's more important is, that he scored just after I had a go at him!

Sadly it didn't work with Kane.

Well that was an improvement. Janssen changed the game completely. I still feel we need that extra spark in midfield though.

Of course we do but already people should see the benefit of another striker. Lord knows at times last season.

Really pleased with that start because Everton won't be an essy team to beat and with that being Koeman's first game and the first of a season.

Just need to add some zip to our midfield and I still believe add a bit of real experience which Pochettino really doesn't seem to do unfortunately.

There must be an ageing striker who would want to just be part of it all but bring the kind of calm and authority that Ibrahimovic will give United and what the likes of Sir Chris Hoy and Sir Bradley Wiggins give to our Olympic cyclists. Talent is fantastic but the temperament to deliver something else again.

Solid start and already ahead of Leicester!!

FUCK YES

Completely undeserved but I'll take everything right now.

Very, very smartly done by Lamela to completely blind-side the defender!
As deserved as Everton's goal?
We may have bossed them if not for that. To me they looked intent to hit us on the counter, and our rustiness gave them plenty of chances to do that.

No team has.

But that still doesn't make it a decent result if you want to play with the big(rich) boys about CL, let alone if you want to win the title.

The examples I made and many others prove it.

First game mate, 8 of starting 11 one competitive game pre season. No rest either. Basically this is their 2nd competitive game and it's the PL opener.
Dele and Eriksen have been very rusty pre season no doubt they'll improve. Vertonghen first game back from injury first competitive game none in pre season.
Wanyama first game for Spurs in the PL.
No fluke goal and I think we would have destroyed them. After that we were chasing, they got impetus but still created nothing that bothered us that much.
We deserved to win.
From the times last season, except twice off my head( once if you don't count LCFC at home last minutes) I'd have thought we might have become used to not writing this teams ability off at coming back after going behind.
I strangely feel more confident of us doing so than holding onto a lead, which is what we actually need to improve on.

BTW, we made just one sub - kind of hints, that problems with movement and so on wasn't a fitness issue but rather a footballing one.

That or he doesn't particulary trust a single one of the remaining bench to contribute turning game around.

Still doesn't excuse lack of fight for loose balls when play breaks etc.

Eriksen nada and still banging on about the contract.
Alli awful.
Kane non-existent.

Janssen deserves to start. Kane should either rest, because he looks knackered, or tie his boots up and work his socks off before Vincent steals his place.

Alli's stray passes everywhere along the pitch. Maybe Winks can be thrown on next. Give a kick up the bum.

Anyway, a point at Everton is still a good point.

After all the high of the Milan smothering, energy levels were shite here.

Wimmer also needs to get back fast and pressure Jan.

BTW, we made just one sub - kind of hints, that problems with movement and so on wasn't a fitness issue but rather a footballing one.

That or he doesn't particulary trust a single one of the remaining bench to contribute turning game around.

Still doesn't excuse lack of fight for loose balls when play breaks etc.

Vorm for Hugo..

I'd say we try a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 of Dier, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane and Janssen (+ the FAB 5 at the back) next game.
Janssen looks quality and makes us more dangerous, and Kane can score anytime. Both should start

Or force him to rest Kane for a while.

Wildly curious as to how 3 of the England boys (HK, ED and DA) look competely knackered even now, while Walker is happily buzzing away.

Back to topic: Janssen was good enough and his work ethic was first class, on and off the ball.

A few players, including Vic and Eriksen who has long summers, need to take a long look in the mirror here.

Largely agree on the England boys, especially Dele - very poor today.

Re: Janssen; It's nice to be able to give Harry some rest. Vinny (no?) looks class. Ridiculously strong on the ball and also has the poacher ability to be where the ball ends up in crowded areas.

Disappointing start. But thankfully Poch brought on Janssen.

That starting lineup lacks pace down the middle. IMO that's our only main issue remaining. Perhaps leadership but Lloris is a Euro final captain so we are covered.

As usual we are freakishly fit so while Poch did get outmanaged shape wise, he competed with Ronald overall.

Lamela carrying on his scoring form from the preseason is fantastic.

Wanyama was great. A rare goal from his free kick but he was a good solid DM. IMO we are the best team in the prem defending free kicks and corners so I'm not worried about that aspect.

I feel similar to last season vs Utd. Confident but disappointed we didn't get more points.

Janssen has to start. Hopefully for Eriksen who leaves us a little too soft. Janssen was a bully. fuckibg ref blew up for every 50/50 reacting to the crowd.

Stones replacement was good. Why the fuck do we always face teams with something going on? New manager, new signing, ex player against us etc?

Last edited:
As deserved as Everton's goal?
We may have bossed them if not for that. To me they looked intent to hit us on the counter, and our rustiness gave them plenty of chances to do that.

First game mate, 8 of starting 11 one competitive game pre season. No rest either. Basically this is their 2nd competitive game and it's the PL opener.
Dele and Eriksen have been very rusty pre season no doubt they'll improve. Vertonghen first game back from injury first competitive game none in pre season.
Wanyama first game for Spurs in the PL.
No fluke goal and I think we would have destroyed them. After that we were chasing, they got impetus but still created nothing that bothered us that much.
We deserved to win.
From the times last season, except twice off my head( once if you don't count LCFC at home last minutes) I'd have thought we might have become used to not writing this teams ability off at coming back after going behind.
I strangely feel more confident of us doing so than holding onto a lead, which is what we actually need to improve on.

Up the goal EFC fully deserved the lead and to win it, period. Saying anything else is full on blinkering to the point of refusing facts.

You can excuse a lot when looking at players individually, but as a team you have to be critical. Is the the players' attitude, the scheduling, the travelling?

This is the worlds most grossing sporting competition at all and wages are world record leading of any sport.

I don't expect us to win everything, this season perhaps not anything at all (refer my post in the Expectations thread).

But to see a team so visibly shaken and unfit for the first of what will be for Spurs and unprecedented long and ardous season, that suprises me. As I earlier said, I am suprised comparing it to the levels of professionalism in other sports.

Not having a go at individuals as such - just looking at the players, team, club as a whole, keeping in mind objective here.

Fair result. Everton came out pressing and we weren't up for it. Looked like we didn't care for the first 45

Not sure we won a 50/50 ball until our goal.

Janssen was great. Lamela too.

Kane Eriksen and Alli need to be better.

Why not try something similar to a 4-3-3 next week?

Vorm
Walker Toby Jan Rose
Dier Wanyama
Eriksen
Lamela
Janssen Kane

Kane doesn't necessarily have to play as a LW but in a rather free role. Or maybe just start the way we ended today perhaps. Janssen should start for sure.

Back
Top Bottom