Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mario Gotze to Tottenham
It is one of football’s worst kept secrets that Liverpool and Tottenham actually share the same scouting system. From Willian to Mohamed Salah, with stops at Yevhen Konoplyanka and Clint Dempsey in between, eventually finishing at Ben Davies and Adam Lallana, if one club expresses an interest in a player, the other will soon follow. Mario Gotze is no different.

Having struggled for form and fitness at Bayern Munich last season, and with Carlo Ancelotti replacing Pep Guardiola as manager, it seemed as though Gotze’s time at the Allianz Arena could be over. The forward needs a different impetus, a fresh scene, a complete change. Liverpool, now managed by Gotze’s former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp, were the early frontrunners. Of course, soon after, Tottenham would join the race.

Both teams would surely cherish the chance to sign a World Cup winner, but the rumour makes sense for only one club. Between Messrs Mane, Firmino and Coutinho, a main cast supplemented by Lallana, James Milner, Lazar Markovic and more, Liverpool boast enough No 10s, false nines and fake eights to make a Countdown numbers challenge. But for Tottenham, the 23-year-old would be perfect. The north London club lack depth in the positions behind a central striker, while Gotze is a bonafide star who would score goals, provide assists and, as a former student of Klopp, adapt seamlessly to Mauricio Pochettino’s pressing game. White Hart Lane is unlikely to welcome the German any time soon however, as either the temptation to prove himself at Bayern or return to build bridges at Dortmund will surely be too great.

Didn't they also unveil Mounir El Hamdaoui at that match as well? Wasn't in the playing squad though.

Talking of players eating careers. Tommy 'ketchup cannon' Huddlestone was another always teetering on the edge. How easy is it for us to do an all time over weight Spurs 11?

It's could be the Kappa kit. but I always found Michael Brown to be on the chunky side.

Tottenham transfer news: Spurs not interested in signing Bayern Munich’s Mario Gotze
blank.gif

mariogotze1407.jpg

No go, Mario: Spurs are not pursuing Bayern midfielder Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images

Tottenham have no interest in signing Mario Gotze fromBayern Munich.

Spurs had been linked with a move for the 24-year-old but Standard Sport understands there has been no approach and the club are actively pursuing other targets including Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle.

Gotze is thought to be available after new Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti cast doubt on his future and with Tottenham out of the running, Liverpool are a possible destination for a reunion with Jurgen Klopp having previously worked together at Borussia Dortmund.

Dortmund are keen on re-signing Gotze but as yet no club has made a concrete offer to Bayern, who will demand a fee in excess of £20million for the attacking midfielder.

Ancelotti said of Gotze this week: “He is a Bayern player. I spoke to him one month ago. It was private.

"He’s a Bayern player so I’ll consider him.

"I will treat him as one and until he’s not, I don’t have to think other things.”

Now we've signed Janssen - it just seems strange to me that we'd even be interested in Icardi
Janssen and Kane are similar types of striker, Icardi would complement ever of them. Not sure why we think 2 strikers is enough anyway.

Btw I don't think we will get him, he cost silly money.

I think we need to re-calibrate our poacher / game keeper viewpoints.....

We talk about getting at least £10m for players like Mason.......but don't want to pay realistic fees for incoming transfers

Newcastle paid £14m for him last summer and then was the highest scoring midfielder in the PL
We've got a good record buying low and selling high. I'd prefer to not start fucking with the formula that got us Dier for four million and Alli for five million to pay "realistic" transfers in a stupidly inflated market. At that price it doesn't make a lot of sense imo.

Back
Top Bottom