Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really don't understand where all the Nike talk is coming from. He's on €1.5m a year from Nike, most their people back in Oregon don't even know who he is.

As far as a business standpoint, why would you be overly concerned with maneuvering players you've signed to a club that you've also signed. On one hand, the player can play for a club where you're already paying significant endorsement fees to publicize your merchandise. On the other hand, that player could play for a club that is paid to publicize your chief competitor's merchandise - diluting the impact of their branding while increasing yours.

Seriously, if Nike were that concerned about signing a player in our club they could literally hand everyone in the squad the same €1.5m they're paying Mario without even noticing it in their books.

Nike has given LeBron more than $1B...again most people in Eugene, Oregon don't even know who Götze is. Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Neymar, Ibrahimović...those are the faces of Nike football.

If that's true, then I can better understand why Nike is struggling.

Europe’s Top 10 Most Marketable Footballers | Repucom

Both return over 400k results. Yet google 'Harry Kane Nike' and you get over 560k results, is Kane being pushed more? Other than the big two for Nike, I'm not sure any of their other football endorsements matter that much. Nike's main business is athletics and basketball.

Athletics, basketball, then football for Nike and football is rising rapidly for them (18% growth in 2014, can't find any fiscal '15 figures as of now). $4.8B, $3.7B, and $2.3B in revenue respectively. Adidas' football revenue was "expected to reach" $2.7B

All of this makes me very sad, honestly. I'll always prefer Adidas and Puma, but the Nike monster seems to be swallowing whole market segments. I honestly think Puma will be bought by Adidas (or possibly UA in an end around to shortcut their dive into football and buy a little more precious market share) very soon, as they keep losing chunks of ground.

Trying to figure this one out... perhaps we don't rate Davies all that much (or are considering converting him to a CB).

You might think that our RB position is in more need of an upgrade - but we have the highly-rated Kyle Walker-Peters to come through.

Either way, it's a good thing if the club aims to improve in all possible areas.

If that's true, then I can better understand why Nike is struggling.

Europe’s Top 10 Most Marketable Footballers | Repucom

Or maybe their fault is that they're clearly paying more attention to the sport than the people responding in the survey. Pirlo and van Persie can't even be classed as footballers with a straight face now.

Plus, it's impossible to divorce awareness survey results from the marketing machine already in motion - ergo Rooney scoring so high on this list mostly due to the amount of marketing Nike has poured into him for well over a decade.

Götze couldn't even get the website to knock up a cool little infographic on him, your point is invalid.

:levylol:

After Euro 2016 and after finally winning Janssen Spurs are looking to steal a few more players for a good price, we all know about the common transfer targets such as Wijnaldum, Icardi and Gotze but Rumours are going around that Spurs are after Moussa Sissoko after his fantastic performance in the euros. Other interests from Gooners, Manchester United and Liverpool make Newcastle raise the price of the 26 year old to 35 Million but for the 3rd possible signing for Spurs ,Proch wants to spend big money on the 3rd transfer for the upcoming season but wants to get a steal. But Proch is not desperate for Sissoko or the 3rd signing as the 2 signings he has completed are decent signings.

The point wasn't that he cares that people back in Oregon do or don't know who he is...it's the fact that to the company and the brand he's just another guy on the payroll. It's been made out here as if he's the face of Nike football, the future of the brand, someone whose career they're massively invested in. The reality is that across athletics they're paying at least 60 people more money than him...he's low on the Nike food chain and not likely someone they'd even consider getting their hands dirty and/or potentially upset club chairmen to manuever.

He's the face of Nike, Beats, Samsung and others in the German speaking world (along with Lewandowski now in the last year or so). Every Nike and Beats commercial on TV here during the Euros? Every MediaMarkt (since you're an American, basically it's German Best Buy) commercial on TV during the tournament? Every Samsung ad? Mercedes ad? All of them have Götze in them. He's one of the famous and marketable people in the 4th largest economy in the world, and one that is a local star who speaks the local language. That's enormously valuable.

It's telling you didn't use google.de (or .at or .ch) ... the customers that Götze is selling to aren't customers that are being advertised to in English.

stop%2Bforrest%2Bflag%2Bin%2Bforrest%2Bgump%2Bmovie.jpg

Trying to figure this one out... perhaps we don't rate Davies all that much (or are considering converting him to a CB).

You might think that our RB position is in more need of an upgrade - but we have the highly-rated Kyle Walker-Peters to come through.

Either way, it's a good thing if the club aims to improve in all possible areas.

I'd rather we tried to improve our attacking midfielders

He's the face of Nike, Beats, Samsung and others in the German speaking world (along with Lewandowski now in the last year or so). Every Nike and Beats commercial on TV here during the Euros? Every MediaMarkt (since you're an American, basically it's German Best Buy) commercial on TV during the tournament? Every Samsung ad? Mercedes ad? All of them have Götze in them. He's one of the famous and marketable people in the 4th largest economy in the world, and one that is a local star who speaks the local language. That's enormously valuable.

It's telling you didn't use google.de (or .at or .ch) ... the customers that Götze is selling to aren't customers that are being advertised to in English.

Having not seen German tv, I'll obviously defer to you on the amount of coverage he's getting. I haven't mentioned any of his other endorsements, of which I trust there are very many.

And you're right on my mistake not using a German search engine, done that now and it's returned roughly the same results as my English language search...lots of specific Nike promotion of Lewandowski and his boots, mostly old articles about Götze and that Nike shirt at Bayern. And not to pick to much, but the way I'm reading that article is that he made €12m, maybe a bit more last year and some wild, uncited estimation that he could be worth €29m.

Either way, I never argued his marketability in Germany or whether or not he was a popular sports figure. I merely pointed out that the speculation that Nike are heavily invested in his success and would have incentive to manuever his career is wrong. The salary they pay him is a pittance, comparatively, in their list of endorsements - if he finds himself nailed to a bench in Bayern or failing overseas they'll simply shine up a new poster boy. No one at Nike HQ is losing sleep over the fate of Mario's career.

And I feel really bad getting cast on this side of the argument today, because it can be taken as me disparaging Götze which isn't the case. If Poch thinks he's still world class then I'd buy the shirt, I quite like him.

There's a lot of high level football to be played this season, anything to increase the quality and depth in highly welcome. It's good to see Spurs so proactive in reinforcing the squad.

Back
Top Bottom