Final game of the season vs. Newcastle (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having calmed down a little since Sunday, there were 3 main talking points I think

1- that first half. It was as poor as I've seen Spurs for a very long time

2- their penalty at 2-1. We had them down to 10 men, were beginning to take shape, & the ref falls for the most blatant dive. I still think we would have got the point we needed had that not been given.

3- going 3 at the back to try & claw it back. It was a crazy move. It's as though 4-4-2 isn't allowed any more under any circumstances. Not keeping a back four left us open to Benitez's counter attacking set up.

But overall, once we went 3-1 down, it was desperate & always likely to end in a hammering because we had to go for goals & quickly. It's just a shame that the players didn't go out in the first half & put on a performance.

I've felt pretty disgruntled since Sunday evening, but the hangover is fading now. Time to look forward to the summer. And then we go again, hopefully with a stronger attitude, more experience & a few new players to offer legitimate competition in areas where we are lacking or have none.
we didnt create enough at any stage of the game - even with an extra man or at 2-1.
Poch fucked up with his tactics and substitutions. We got it back to 2-1 but I'm not even sure putting on the guys he did at half time was working. At 2-1 he wasn't going to take off Dier, Kane, Eriksen or Lamela so who did that leave? In hindsight he should have removed Eriksen, but he can always create.
It was just a giant turd of a game for everyone concerned. Vertongen had a fucking howler. Mason shouldn't have started - he didn't deserve it. Son was a dithering cunt.

2- their penalty at 2-1. We had them down to 10 men, were beginning to take shape, & the ref falls for the most blatant dive. I still think we would have got the point we needed had that not been given.

3- going 3 at the back to try & claw it back. It was a crazy move. It's as though 4-4-2 isn't allowed any more under any circumstances. Not keeping a back four left us open to Benitez's counter attacking set up.

This is the game in a nutshell. Spot on. I'm certain we would have gotten the point, and maybe even all 3, but for that pathetic dive by Sissoko. It may seem trivial to single out the 3rd goal of 5 conceded, but that absolutely flipped the game on its head at that point.

Having calmed down a little since Sunday, there were 3 main talking points I think

1- that first half. It was as poor as I've seen Spurs for a very long time

But overall, once we went 3-1 down, it was desperate & always likely to end in a hammering because we had to go for goals & quickly. It's just a shame that the players didn't go out in the first half & put on a performance.

I've felt pretty disgruntled since Sunday evening, but the hangover is fading now. Time to look forward to the summer. And then we go again, hopefully with a stronger attitude, more experience & a few new players to offer legitimate competition in areas where we are lacking or have none.
Bang fucking on. What's not to like, the smallest youngest squad in the Pl has got auto CL. What went wrong on Sunday was what went wrong on the Sunday before. We have an awesome team, but when we incurred two loses the team ethic went to pieces.
There was no solidity, ball retention or oppo player passing in midfield, and we lacked any outlet up front bar Kane, who without Ali seemed isolated. Lamela cannot press and defend the wing and try to be the string that joins Kane, Try all he might.
Son just seemed lost. However, he has time.

Something just hit me that I don't think has been mentioned on here. It'll do your fucking head in, so don't read it if you're on suicide watch.

Most likely not the case, but it's been speculated on here by several people that Leicester's rise has been so spectacular that doping might be involved. If they were to be found guilty of that and stripped of the title, then this loss will have cost us the title and handed it to Woolwich :dembele:

Something just hit me that I don't think has been mentioned on here. It'll do your fucking head in, so don't read it if you're on suicide watch.

Most likely not the case, but it's been speculated on here by several people that Leicester's rise has been so spectacular that doping might be involved. If they were to be found guilty of that and stripped of the title, then this loss will have cost us the title and handed it to Woolwich :dembele:

Don't worry, it's been mentioned.

What if they just cancel out every team's results vs Leicester?

:allitongue:

We all seem to overlook the draw needed at home against Southampton which would have suffice. Looking at the New Utd game and trying to analyse were it all went wrong is foolish. For me once we secured CL football, the, job was done. Anything after that point, would be a bonus.

What if they just cancel out every team's results vs Leicester?

:allitongue:

It would have to be that way, those beaten by Leicester will have be deemed to have been done so unfairly; either everybody gets 6 points for the two games or everybody gets 0 - the second most likely I think.

We all seem to overlook the draw needed at home against Southampton which would have suffice. Looking at the New Utd game and trying to analyse were it all went wrong is foolish. For me once we secured CL football, the, job was done. Anything after that point, would be a bonus.

Not overlooking that at all - but during that game we still theoretically needed 3 points, so you can sort of forgive the team for trying to beat Southampton and getting hit with a counter on a boiling hot day.....that happens.

At Newcastle we knew from the start 0-0 was good enough and played with none of the defensive discipline we have done in 95% of our games this season.

That's the difference.

Back
Top Bottom