Your Expected Lineup Come September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting, I've not watched the friendlies, thanks. Hope you're right as I'm a Lennon fan and he is more versatile than given credit for though lack of goals has always been an issue. I really hope to see more from Paulinho too though.

Why have so many got Soldado starting ahead of Ade is that just as he's been playing more in friendlies or is he seen as fitting in better with Poch?

Nothing more than Soldado not having malaria, as the question was what was the lineup you believe we'll right as of the start of September. Ade does seem to have recovered more quickly than originally expected though. Even then, we may see Soldado lead the line for the first few weeks judging by the difference in fitness levels even as of this point.

Have you watched any pre season games? If be very surprised to see paulinho starting in the left sided role based on what we've been doing. Lennon has been doing well

Not really. He was pretty bad in two of the games. And he always has flashes of brilliance. It's why he won't go away.

Bait much?
Or discussion. I'm genuinely baffled that you defend putting Paulinho on the left purely because you don't think Lennon had a good pre-season.

Your hatred for Lennon aside, surely even you cannot think that is a feasible position for Pauli?

Or discussion. I'm genuinely baffled that you defend putting Paulinho on the left purely because you don't think Lennon had a good pre-season.

Your hatred for Lennon aside, surely even you cannot think that is a feasible position for Pauli?

When did I put Paulinho on the left?

Lloris, Walker, Musaccio, Vertonghen, Davies
Sandro, Dembele,
Lamela, Eriksen,Paulinho
Ade

Have you watched any pre season games? If be very surprised to see paulinho starting in the left sided role based on what we've been doing. Lennon has been doing well so I think he will be playing there from the off until form or injury dictates he'll lose the spot.

Not really. He was pretty bad in two of the games. And he always has flashes of brilliance. It's why he won't go away.

So you agree that Paulinho is more likely to start on the wing than Lennon?
Bait much?

When did I put Paulinho on the left?
You didn't answer my question. But you seem to suggest that Pauli would be a better choice than Lennon on the left.

Jimmy pointed out that Lennon is likely to start, given his pre-season performances, and that Paulinho has not played on the left for us (or anyone, to my knowledge) so that is unlikely.

You quoted his post and said Lennon's had a bad pre-season, therefore given the context of the conversation, suggesting the left wing spot could be occupied by Paulinho. Or certainly that you'd rather see Paulinho there rather than Lennon.

If this is not the case, then I have misunderstood.

You didn't answer my question. But you seem to suggest that Pauli would be a better choice than Lennon on the left.

Jimmy pointed out that Lennon is likely to start, given his pre-season performances, and that Paulinho has not played on the left for us (or anyone, to my knowledge) so that is unlikely.

You quoted his post and said Lennon's had a bad pre-season, therefore given the context of the conversation, suggesting the left wing spot could be occupied by Paulinho. Or certainly that you'd rather see Paulinho there rather than Lennon.

If this is not the case, then I have misunderstood.
I think Paulinho is used to playing on the left of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3 but I definitely don't think he's a player to be used in the front 3..

I think Paulinho is used to playing on the left of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3 but I definitely don't think he's a player to be used in the front 3..

Has Paulinho ever played such a position? As far as I know, he's always played as the BTB to the right of the CDM in a centrally holding two for us, Corinthians, and Brazil.

Has Paulinho ever played such a position? As far as I know, he's always played as the BTB to the right of the CDM in a centrally holding two for us, Corinthians, and Brazil.
Sorry, maybe it's on the right he's most comfortable. But one of the flanks right infront of the sitting midfielder in a 4-3-3 is a perfect position for a btb midfielder, which is my point. That's where he'd be comfortable, not in the attacking 3...

Sorry, maybe it's on the right he's most comfortable. But one of the flanks right infront of the sitting midfielder in a 4-3-3 is a perfect position for a btb midfielder, which is my point. That's where he'd be comfortable, not in the attacking 3...

Ah, gotcha. Then yes, it seems I entirely questioned the wrong post as you're spot on.

Why so many formations with Holtby on the wing?

He doesn't have the pace or trickery to play there. For so long we've had to put CMs on the wings and now we got a few decent wingers people still want a CM there.

lloris

walker kaboul vertonghen davies

capoue dembele

townsend lamela eriksen

ade

Is what I hope to see. Expect Lennon to start on the left (in place of Townsend) with Eriksen on the right. Lamela is x100 more effective centrally. Eriksen with better defending will be fine on the wing, will be interchanging anyway.

He doesn't have the pace or trickery to play there. For so long we've had to put CMs on the wings and now we got a few decent wingers people still want a CM there.

lloris

capoue dembele

townsend lamela eriksen

ade

Is what I hope to see. Expect Lennon to start on the left (in place of Townsend) with Eriksen on the right. Lamela is x100 more effective centrally. Eriksen with better defending will be fine on the wing, will be interchanging anyway.

Completely agree on Holtby. I think Eriksen wide is an absolute abuse of his talents, but I'd still prefer him wide over Holtby, and for the exact reasons you cite.

I think the setup of Lamela just right of center ("heart of the offense" position I call it), with Eriksen central, has worked very well. It's gives Lamela more space to operate from with his drives across the pitch, distance shooting ability, and precise passing; and Eriksen makes himself more available to the deeper players by playing slightly more reserved than he has in the past (also thereby affording Lamela yet more space to cut across). This, along with the fact they rotate so much as is, I think has and will work quite nicely. Very, very excited to see how it will work in the Prem.

With all due respect, you have him here listed as your right winger/attacking mid my friend. :thumbup:

Lloris
Walker, Chriches, Vert, Davies
Capoue Bentaleb,
Schniderlin Eriksen Lamala
Ade

.....................................................................Ade
..................................................Lamala........................Schniderlin
...................................................................Eriksen

The box to box midfielder is listed as one of the two just ahead of the back line in a 4-2-3-1, with the wingers on either side of the CAM (Eriksen in this case).
Sure, but I clearly state the width comes from an advancing Walker and therefore did not think it would be necessary to clarify that Schniederlin was not a RWinger! I,d like to see this 5 in between the back and front line Capoue (dm) aside, interchanging (Lamela/Eriksen. Bentaleb/Schniederlin) closing down and advancing together. Lamela also allowed a free role. Then the line up becomes a
4-1-3-1-1
This is what I hope and expect from a Poch side. Intelligent, quality footballers being trusted to be able to interchange and adjust the shape of the formation to suit the situation. Better add within reason! I appreciate and would except others may not like the narrowness of this starting 11. Fair enough. But for me this quartet plus Capoue deeper, with Ade on occasion holding the ball up for an knock back to Eriksen on to the overlapping Lamela, excites me.

Schniederlin a winger? Nah!

:adesalute:

lloris

capoue dembele

townsend lamela eriksen

ade

Because the three behind the striker aren't really wingers. There are three CAMs that hopefully will move around with Fluidity. Our LB and RB act as wingers in Poch's system.

--------------------Lloris------------------------
Walker----Vert---------Musacchio---Davies
----------Schnie----------Paulinho-------------
---Lamela---------Holtby------------Eriksen--
-------------------Adebayor----------------------
Leaves us with a pretty solid bench: Vorm, Chiriches, Rose, Dembele, Lennon, Townsend, Soldado

Back
Top Bottom