Your best 18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apologies if this has been done, but quiter frankly I couldn't/didn't wade through all the other posts.

I think the first team picks its self (though a certain J.Defoe of Hertfordshire may agrue otherwise)

However I got me thinking if everyone was fit who would be on the bench and who would be in the stands.

For me the bench would be

Carlo (GK)
Dawson (CB)
Corluka (FB)
Sandro (CM)
Kranjar (W)
Defoe (F)
Huddleston (CM)

I think this gives a good mix of posistions and styles to cover most attacking and defening options.

This would leave the following just ironing club suits or serving bagels in the west stand:
Gallas, Rose, Livermore, Dos Santos, Pav, Townsend, Bassong, Gomes, Naughton, Jenas, Bentley.

Now that is just a tiny bit sexy no?

hmmm, tricky one but it's hard to argue against your selection. Personally I don't think our squad is as strong as people like to think it is. If we lose a few of the starting 11 the team would be a lot less effective.

For example Dawson reduces the quality at the back with regards to defending and with our current style of play his lack of quality on the ball would probably result in Modric and Parker coming deep to collect the ball from the defence a lot more than they do now (although they still do it sometimes which is fine).

I like Corluka but there's no doubt if he was playing instead of Walker the threat from our right would be vastly reduced as well as giving the opposition a better chance on the counter because of his lack of pace.

Niko is definitely limited in his ability in my opinion. A decent player for someone like Everton but not for a team who wants to get into the top 2/3 of this league. Similarly Huddlestone could do a job but would reduce our effectiveness massively.

The key to continuing this form and possibly having our best premier league season ever will be keeping as many of the first 11 fit and playing every game. Slight rotation is fine but if we burn them out and lets say Defoe and Niko are suddenly playing we won't be winning 8 of 9 games with them in the team.

I wrote a massive reply to your post, but forgot to logon.

To summarise said post.

Great post, agree but think Sandro and Niko are top draw, tiffic lads. Newcastle have had the same stable team points lift as us.

Our spine is important lose any two from BF, LK, SP, VDV and EA and we would find any result tougher.

Back
Top Bottom