Woolwich away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I suppose it depends on your point of view. Levy only didn't change anything because the decision went against him. Tan changed the kit and badge. In my view, moving us to East London is equal to or worse than changing the kit and badge, because our North London identity is more important to me than those things. But others may disagree.

Edit: What's interesting is that Tan changed the colours/badge back (somewhat) after an FA Cup tie with Colchester was attended by only 4,000 or so people, Cardiff's lowest ever attendance (thanks wikipedia). It seems that he had alienated both the hardcore support and also those who were happy to put up with the changes as long as it meant success. I think perhaps that Levy trying to do the Stratford thing would have not been possible had we been struggling more at the time on the pitch.

This is going to be a long international break isn't it. Debating how similar Daniel Levy is to Vincent Tan. I'll start a new thread called two weeks from hell

It's ludicrous to compare Levy (a Spurs FAN) with a Malaysian businessman, who with all the will in the world, you're not gonna convince me he grew up in Malaysia supporting Cardiff...

For all his faults, not to mention all the good things he's done for the club... at least Levy IS a Spurs fan! Diehard, "Spurs Fru 'n' fru" he may not necessarily be... but neither were over 50% of the fans who turned up for the first time at Wembley last week!
At least Levy goes to every game!

Pathetic it was even considered.

Maybe because Arsne complained that he was lucky not to have been sent off, for 'elbowing' Walcott - who's face was in such pain he was hunched over clutching it but jumped straight up suddenly forgetting it when Vertonghen had a word in his ear.
Also, according to Arsne, it wasn't a penalty.
Amazed that he actually saw the incidents as he misses the ones his players get away with.
As for Coq au vin, well he was just trying to get one of ours sent off as retribution for his dismissal. It wasn't even a foul really.
If that is not simulation, then fuck knows what is.
I also thought that Kocksureney should have been yellowed long before he was.

Last edited:
Why make everything about their players? Fuck Koscielny.

It's all about Kane, doesn't matter who the defenders when he's on form.
I think that is from twitter and a comeback to a gooner who I think was going on about Kocksmally's ability, maybe saying that he had Kane in his pocket but I didn't see the previous argument.

Levy Senior may be a Spurs fan, quite a lot of Spurs fans wanted us to move to Stratford. But I can't stand the mentality of putting success ahead of identity and meaning, which that kind of fan has. And if he had been successful there would have been massive splits in our fanbase, and our support would have become a lot more like them; I don't think this can be denied.

It may well be true that most other chairmen would have done the same thing in the same situation. The honourable thing would have been at least to put it to a vote amongst members, as I think Everton did with their proposal for a new ground, though I'm sure if Levy had done that it would have been framed as "WHL vs OS" (still a no brainer for the likes of me) due to the NDP being apparently "not viable" at the time.

We have certainly done very well on the pitch under Levy. But with the Stratford thing I cannot ever see him as truly one of us.

I definitely think that among the hardcore, i.e. the people who regularly go to away games, there's not many with the success-at-all-costs mentality.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and it's a fair assessment. It's good news we are staying at the Lane, (however that has come about) and the future appears bright. Onwards and upwards. Up the YIDS!

I'm starting to respect this-as much as it goes against the grain. I love spurs. Our history, style & fanbase. I've called Levy all the cunts under the sun- on here & to mates. BUT...if I was thrown under the bus & told I was the torch bearer for our club, then I'd have to admit I wouldn't have done it too differently. Maybe I wouldn't have been so inflexible if my manager told me he wanted "x" player in whichever window. I would have paid the money for Berahino if my manager wanted him, instead of losing the deal at the last minute.

He could have been more bold (he couldn't be any more bald) & maybe we would have collected some trophies. But I like the fact that he has an unshakeable ethos & his kid mixes with the fans. I'm sure he could have wangled an executive suite but chose to be in the thick of it. Have to say, under his stewardship we may not have won things as we had hoped, but we have not fallen away into mid table obscurity. We are top 4-6 every year. That is no mean feat for a team that hasn't had a huge injection of dodgy money from a dodgy source.

Same boat as me. Could have murdered him when he refused Moutinho when AVB wanted him, the constant manager mary-go-round, STUBHUB amongst a load of other ol bollocks.

But, when I take a step back, and think of it from a rational point of view. We are doing ok. Haven't lost to the Gooners in 5 NLDs in the league, have a new stadium on its way, a squad who like playing with each other, CL etc etc. Through gritted teeth I say, ha ha Levy, you ain't doing too badly. He has had to learn as a chairmen, and has grown. :) COYS

Same boat as me. Could have murdered him when he refused Moutinho when AVB wanted him, the constant manager mary-go-round, STUBHUB amongst a load of other ol bollocks.

But, when I take a step back, and think of it from a rational point of view. We are doing ok. Haven't lost to the Gooners in 5 NLDs in the league, have a new stadium on its way, a squad who like playing with each other, CL etc etc. Through gritted teeth I say, ha ha Levy, you ain't doing too badly. He has had to learn as a chairmen, and has grown. :) COYS

You have to admit the draws have been frustrating though. It feels like they were on the ropes for the last 4 league matches but still managed to get away with a point.

Yes, on the pitch, we have done very well under Levy. Our upturn in fortunes has basically coincided with his becoming chairmen; we started to improve a few years after he started in the job, and have steadily improved since then. So many successive years of European football was unthinkable in the 90s/early noughties. And even though he sacked a lot of managers, the ethos of the club remained basically the same regardless of who was in charge and we continued to progress. I don't even mind too much the miserliness. Sometimes it seems to be counter productive, (not buying players in a transfer window when it seems it would ultimately suit Levy's interests as well as ours to do so) but overall I'd rather we did things through spending within our means rather than financial doping like Chelsea/Man City (as an aside I saw in the Standard this week that Chelsea are going to spend even more in January due to their good start to the season and the chance of winning the league).

The Stubhub issue is off the pitch, and as with Stratford, it's there that Levy fails. He is happy for "consumers" to take the place of loyal fans. I think he is a Spurs fan...as 1882 1882 says at least he goes every game, that's true- I even saw him in Tromso before our Europa League game there. But he's not the sort of Spurs fan that (if he weren't chairman) would stand in the rain for a midweek game up North, and nor does he understand that mentality. Most other chairmen/owners are the same or worse. What would be ideal would be having a fan on the board, or better still 50% ownership of the club as in Germany, but can't see it happening here.

You have to admit the draws have been frustrating though. It feels like they were on the ropes for the last 4 league matches but still managed to get away with a point.
The draws last season were extremely frustrating. That game at theirs, we really should have spanked them, we were almost playing around doing tricks rather than going for the kill. And the home game they were behind with 10 men so a draw was poor, though that was more of a crazy game because we started badly and they would probably also feel they should have won it due to it being a different game after the sending off.

I didn't find the draw the season before that (when Chadli scored) or Sunday's draw to be frustrating. Woolwich played much better in those games and a draw was a fair result, as well as a good result.

That shows a few things
1- how far we have come to be complaining at how they hang on against us every time these days
2- how difficult we are to play against when Poch sets us up correctly
3- how shit they are by comparison to us.

It's ludicrous to compare Levy (a Spurs FAN) with a Malaysian businessman, who with all the will in the world, you're not gonna convince me he grew up in Malaysia supporting Cardiff...

For all his faults, not to mention all the good things he's done for the club... at least Levy IS a Spurs fan! Diehard, "Spurs Fru 'n' fru" he may not necessarily be... but neither were over 50% of the fans who turned up for the first time at Wembley last week!
At least Levy goes to every game!

actually he is.

Very good performance & a well deserved draw.
We showed a lot of fight & commitment.
Unlucky with the own goal. Such a stupid rule that allows it to stand.
Was very worried about this game.

Lloris, jan, rose, dembele, eriksen & kane all stood out the most for me.
But everyone played at least a 7 out of 10.

Poch out thought wenger with that new system which we can now use when poch wants.
Add that to playing both kane & janssen upfront & our options have improved a lot this season.

The team really picked themselves up after some bad results. & going to in-form Woolwich wasn't ideal. Love how quiet we kept ozil & also sanchez in the 2nd half.

Hopefully no injuries on international duty!
Kane will be more sharp & we should have toby back too.

Last edited:
Woke up this morning (de-daaa, de daaa, got out of my bed, looked in the mirror...) convinced that we hadn't played the NLD yet, and I was sure we'd be losing our unbeaten record...
The fact it feels like a Saturday today for some reason doesn't help!

Back
Top Bottom