Willem Korsten - your memories

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about Willem Korsten (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Spurs. Especially good would be any personal memories you have of meeting him/seeing him around - stuff like that.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website next week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be.

Cheers,
Kevin

When I was about 17 I had an American girlfriend who was in England studying for her degree.
As I was a massive Spurs fan she was more or less forced to take a passing interest.

As a joke I gave her a bunch of posters of spurs players for her dorm room. One of which was Korstern. This backfired in two ways. 1. She thought he was 'really hot' and used to go on about it all the time. 2. It was only a small room and I was forced to look at him every time we had sex. Although on the bright side this was an excellent delaying tactic, which if you cast your mind back to being 17, was often a necessary requirement.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

When I was about 17 I had an American girlfriend who was in England studying for her degree.
As I was a massive Spurs fan she was more or less forced to take a passing interest.

As a joke I gave her a bunch of posters of spurs players for her dorm room. One of which was Korstern. This backfired in two ways. 1. She thought he was 'really hot' and used to go on about it all the time. 2. It was only a small room and I was forced to look at him every time we had sex. Although on the bright side this was an excellent delaying tactic, which if you cast your mind back to being 17, was often a necessary requirement.

Hope that's what you were looking for.
17? I'm jealous. Got any pics, btw?

I remember when we signed him it was a bit of a coup. He'd been at Leeds (on loan I believe - very rare for a Prem team to have a player on loan in those days) and Leeds thought he was going to sign for them permanently. They were very unhappy that he opted to join Spurs, and Spurs were commended in certain circles for stealing a March on the Yorkshire whites.

I remember it as a very unusual signing. Partly because he was a talented young player and the media outlets praised our thinking in signing him.

I don't remember him much as a player, mostly because in the 2 years (or whatever it was) he was at the club he was always injured. Perhaps he was destined to be a big star if it wasn't for his injuries - we can but speculate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom