White Hart Lane 1899-2017

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who remembers the sally Army Place at the corner of the high rd and Paxton Road? At Christmas they had a band playing carols. Started a life long love of sally army Christmas music with me.
There was also a peanut seller there that my dad always had a chat to :)

Peeeeeeenus.... gertcha PEEEENUS!!

(...is what i think he said!)

I think I have sat/stood in every part of the ground, apart from the executive boxes (although I did see one NLD from the corner of the Park Lane where the press box is, after having lunch in the hospitality lounge). Suppose best time for me was standing at the front of the Shelf, definitely the best view - near halfway line so no distortion of where the ball is, which you get when watching from behind the goals; up high so you can see the flow of the play, but not so far away that the players looked like ants. I did like the enclosure though, sure that you paid an extra 2 bob (10p ) for that. I remember the peanut man. I remember that awful day when we witnessed the fences going up around the ground and rejoicing when they took them down. Games too many to mention - some good, some bad and some plain ugly. But considering I have been going to the Lane for 47 years, I still get a thrill going through the turnstiles ..... can't say the thrill is still there at the end of the game! But all said and done, you just can't beat being there in person, and I am going to miss the old place.

Loved that peanut guy the peanuts were delicious
Hackney Wicks finnest
com15.jpg

percy-daltons-peanut-seller-at-the-dog-track-in-the-east-end-of-picture-id85753391

I think I have sat/stood in every part of the ground, apart from the executive boxes (although I did see one NLD from the corner of the Park Lane where the press box is, after having lunch in the hospitality lounge). Suppose best time for me was standing at the front of the Shelf, definitely the best view - near halfway line so no distortion of where the ball is, which you get when watching from behind the goals; up high so you can see the flow of the play, but not so far away that the players looked like ants. I did like the enclosure though, sure that you paid an extra 2 bob (10p ) for that. I remember the peanut man. I remember that awful day when we witnessed the fences going up around the ground and rejoicing when they took them down. Games too many to mention - some good, some bad and some plain ugly. But considering I have been going to the Lane for 47 years, I still get a thrill going through the turnstiles ..... can't say the thrill is still there at the end of the game! But all said and done, you just can't beat being there in person, and I am going to miss the old place.
That was pretty much my spot for many years in the shelf,from the 2nd Division season ,to about 85.
Best view I have ever had at the lane.I remember 2 girls Kim and Charlie use to stand right on the front with me.
Kim was a right tom boy, cropped hair and DM boots :) Charlie was more "ladylike" with long blonde curly hair..Though she did become a skinhead a few seasons later .I haven't thought of them two for years.

I am enjoying this thread

To be fair though Mr P - much of the stadium you go to now isn't the stadium you first went into all those years ago.
Its a bit of a Triggers broom - in reality.
And the new stadium isn't that far away, as some of the original footprint is still being shared with the new place - a spiritual contact across time, so to speak.

Last edited:
To be fair though Mr P - much of the stadium you go to now isn't the stadium you first went into all those years ago.
Its a bit of a Triggers broom - in reality.
Very true...But ,its still the same place,just rebuilt.
Hence why it was so important to me that any new build stadium had to be in the same place,or as near as possible.
I could/would never have gone to stratford.By the by now,but......

That was pretty much my spot for many years in the shelf,from the 2nd Division season ,to about 85.
Best view I have ever had at the lane.I remember 2 girls Kim and Charlie use to stand right on the front with me.
Kim was a right tom boy, cropped hair and DM boots :) Charlie was more "ladylike" with long blonde curly hair..Though she did become a skinhead a few seasons later .I haven't thought of them two for years.

I am enjoying this thread
Reading that, I've got a retrospective crush on Charlie :love:

Who remembers the abuse a good looking female copper would get?
"we'll give you half a crown to get your......."
I am too much of a gentleman to finish the song

Times have changed :)
"i'll give you one and six to wrap 'em round yer......"
I am also too much of a gentleman to finish the song

Back
Top Bottom