What positionings need strengthening?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like the idea of Micah Richards, at 25 years old can be a rebirth for him, would be good to show some nouse and buy players not playing at their peak at a lower price (unlike last summers tactics)

What a goal that was. Can't be mad at conceding those. I think he's mostly shifted over to CB nowadays.

One of the finest I've ever seen scored against us. Iirc, I'm quite sure I actually clapped before the bias kicked back in to right my senses.

And you're correct, he has shifted over to CB. But at just under six foot and not particularly built, I'm not sure such a position would immediately work for him in the Prem. His ability to play there however, is a great perk. He can start out at LB primarily and as he develops physically, he can provide more than adequate cover for the position.

Maybe this'll ring that bell a bit harder:

ibwGlB8yaTthEj.gif
Oh trust me.. I remember :'(

I like the idea of Micah Richards, at 25 years old can be a rebirth for him, would be good to show some nouse and buy players not playing at their peak at a lower price (unlike last summers tactics)

Absolutely agreed. He's HG (getting a bit thin there), very underrated IMO, and can play two positions very well. Only concern is obviously the long-term hammy injury he's been carrying for a couple years now. If he can shake that and rebuild a bit of confidence, I think he'd be a fantastic acquisition for us. I'm sure he'd also be willing to come despite leaving City, as no doubt he'd like a good opportunity to revitalize his club career as well as get back into the national team fold.

Last edited:
Aside from LB I think that what we really need are some midfielders that will feed GOOD balls to our strikers. The only reliable one that does it now is obviously Eriksen. If you actually go back and review Soldado's missed chances many of those are from really bad crosses. Especially when it's Lennon feeding him. We need someone like Iker Muniain.

In an ideal world, a proper left-back would be great, probably a new CB, and above all, someone who can play a Modric-type role in the middle. I don't like the idea of Eriksen playing further back, and I can't see anyone else in the squad doing well in that position (though Capoue's passing is underrated).

We need some positive, creative passing in the heart of the team. It might just bring the best out of Paulinho (though I've been extremely unimpressed by him).

Very difficult to gauge how we'll look next season. No idea who the manager will be...not sure if players like Lloris will be off...question marks over our strikers. We really are in limbo.

I wouldn't bring in any more midfielders. It's a big enough problem that we can't fit in the ones we've got, and are slated to get Carroll, Livermore, and Holtby back from loan.

Left back is the priority for me. From there, I wouldn't change the squad any more unless there are players from that position moving in the opposite direction as well.

Kid's been so neglected that he's probably forgotten how to kick a ball.

Risky.

I wouldn't bring in any more midfielders. It's a big enough problem that we can't fit in the ones we've got, and are slated to get Carroll, Livermore, and Holtby back from loan.

Left back is the priority for me. From there, I wouldn't change the squad any more unless there are players from that position moving in the opposite direction as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because you have a massive pile of wood doesn't mean you have a functioning structure. Suggesting we have no need for a specific kind of player or players because we have a plethora of players in the broader category does not necessarily mean it will ever work. We have too many similar players in the middle, and not enough quality on the wings.

That having been said, I wouldn't be surprised if an incoming manager worked with the players and deemed our central midfield options suitable to his plans moving forward with time and specific instruction (but don't expect top four next season IMO if so), but I would be very, very surprised if he deemed our winger situation acceptable. Hell, I'd probably give up on football discussion entirely if it were to happen, as I'm not sure I could even convince myself I knew what I was talking about ever again.

Kid's been so neglected that he's probably forgotten how to kick a ball.

Risky.

Anyone who arrives at our place, the risk rating goes up exponentially anyway! he just always seemed to me someone who would belong at the lane, the injury thing a bit of a turn off but would love to give him a chance at the right price

We have plenty of midfielders, but none of them can do the role of a deep lying playmaker. Well...not to the level we need anyway. Holtby and (at a push) Carroll or Capoue could do it, but we really could do with a Modric/Moutinho type player to run things. It's the proverbial missing piece in the jigsaw.

We have too many similar players in the middle, and not enough quality on the wings.

THIS!!

A new manager is almost definitely not going to play two strikers. We score a lot when one striker feeds it to another. This shouldn't actually be happening, but because no one on our wings can actually do it has had to be done. Seriously, our problem IS our midfield almost more than anything. I love Lennon, but his finishing ball is just atrocious. He is the perfect example of how our wings are just poor. Chadli has promise, but players with promise won't get us playing Champions League football. We need people that will deliver.

Our left back issue is huge as well, but like I said earlier, that completely goes without saying.

We need to push out our CEO

Compare where we are now vs with Sir Alan Sugar and I'll take 5th or 6th every year. Building up a team takes a considerable amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I think that Levy needs to make better decisions in the future, but seeing him go at the juncture would be terrible for us.

Compare where we are now vs with Sir Alan Sugar and I'll take 5th or 6th every year. Building up a team takes a considerable amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I think that Levy needs to make better decisions in the future, but seeing him go at the juncture would be terrible for us.

Agreed, every word. Levy has made some very poor decisions and moves in the past, but it's rather evident he wants this club to succeed. Is also just as evident he needs to take steps toward letting go of some strings, steps which I'm hoping he's acknowledging and taking as evidenced by rehiring Broomfield. In fact, I would not have verbally supported Levy after the past summer until he made this most recent move. No doubt he handed the man a fatass check to spurn Woolwich last minute. Doesn't get any more clear than that that he may be coming to realization of his mistakes, be looking to rectify them, and make sacrifices where necessary to do so.

While this line isn't at all original on the topic, Spurs fans do indeed need to be careful for what they wish for. I look at what Vincent Tan has done to Cardiff, or what Allem attempted to do at Hull, and I can't help but count my blessings.

Back
Top Bottom